1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Facebook

Discussion in 'General Software' started by slavewone, Sep 14, 2020 at 2:22 PM.

1. slavewone

slavewone Member

Ok, so I found out today they my wife gets targeted ads based on my website use on my devices. Uhohh...

Her digging shows both my laptop and my phone say I log in to her Facebook.

I didn’t, I don’t have Facebook and have zero interest in hers. She doesn’t believe me and damage has been done.

I’m fairly sure no one has ever logged in on my phone and definitely never on my laptop. I do visit Facebook when links send me there.

The only other tidbit I can think of is my email is connected to her account and from time to time I get emails about account behaviour and I have clicked on these to see what happened in the last.

So, how? why? And how do I stop these false but super incriminating device behaviours? What cookie do I blast into oblivion???

Halp

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

My wife gets targeted ads for things I've looked up on my computer, must be aimed at our WAN IP.

Not sure how it would show your specific devices logging into her account if they haven't, since I'm pretty sure it would just say "google chrome login from xyz suburb"

If your wife is upset because she thinks you've seen her account, she must be saying things to people that she doesn't want you to see, you guys need to work on your trust for each other IMO.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020 at 2:26 PM
    clonex likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The simplest solution to any problem involving Facebook is to opt out of Facebook.

3Toed likes this.
  4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Are you sure she hasn't logged in before in the past on your devices and it's been left logged in?
    Try to open FB... see if it logs into her account. If so, log out... choose do not remember me.

JSmith

5. OP
    OP
    slavewone

slavewone Member

Thanks, I feel a little better that it could be associating the devices based on the home IP and then still associating them when I’m at work. It’s not going to be that easy to convince the wife, I’ll do more bowing and scraping.

I just have a few screenshots I’ve been sent. I’m was told they show logins but the screenshots shows multiple entries of device name, location, browser and date that match my device and location. What are these?

Is a little more complicated than that. I don’t believe there is anything she wouldn’t show me if I asked, it’s because she thinks I deliberately went behind her back and didn’t ask. I trust her.

Very happy to do this myself, just to make sure sure I wasn’t signed up in the first place. I don’t think it will solve any of my dilemmas :(

I have, there is no active login.

6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

This. The ads I see on the net at home that dont have anything to do with my browser history make me laugh.

True, but sometimes I like to watch a slow moving train wreck.

7. OP
    OP
    slavewone

slavewone Member

JSmithDTV likes this.
  8. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

There is a plugin for FireFox called "Facebook Container" which does what it says on the packet - it makes it harder for Facebook to track your data.

9. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Get FB Purity (Fluffbuster Purity).

https://www.fbpurity.com/

It might not necessarily block FB from seeing your data, but you can use it to filter your feed.

The only big problem I have with it at moment is there's no dedicated phone app for it... consequently I don't use FB on my phone except via browser.

10. breno

breno Member

Also try turning off 'off Facebook activity' in the fb settings. They make it hard to find but it's there.

slavewone likes this.
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I use facebook container but I do find it messes with images here at OCAU.....when a picture is posted all I will see is "[​IMG]

12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

13. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Pretty easy for Facebook to work out you are acouple.

14. OP
    OP
    slavewone

slavewone Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020 at 8:46 AM
  15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Bugger... has the issue settled down a bit?

Are you both using the same phone, devices, OS's etc?

JSmith

16. elvis

This feels like one of those "human problems disguised as a technology problem".

I nuked my Facebook account long ago because FACEBOOK IS FUCKING TERRIBLE, but when I did still have it, I had zero concern if my wife wanted to dig through my account. Likewise I could happily dig through hers if I wanted to.

Outside of trying to organise presents for each others' birthdays, there are zero secrets. It's a pretty liberating way to live. I suggest all married couples give it a try.

Point being: it has nothing to do with computers.

clonex likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    slavewone

slavewone Member

Can anyone tell me the likelihood of the 4G modem in my office in Swaffham Rd, Minto using a cell tower in Catherine Field?

Also, some of the times are when I’m at home which is the far side of Penrith.

I’m thinking this isn’t me.

Not much. Very skittish. Things more difficult than they need to be.

iPhone 8’s and SE

I wish it was that simple.

I’m being accused of checking up on her behind her back when I could do it to her face as I’ve been told her password in the past. I’ve never done it because FACEBOOK IS FUCKING TERRIBLE and I feel like it has just doubled down and won.

18. elvis

Son, I feel like you didn't hear a word I said.

19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Pretty fuckin' slim I'd say;

https://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_proximity.main_page/

Maybe she needs to stop blaming you, look elsewhere, change passwords and increase her security settings.

Bit rough to jump down your throat without knowing the whole story...

JSmith

20. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

If you're using Facebook's own data to tell you where you last logged on, or where you've previously logged on from it's as unreliable as Google location. Right now Facebook tell me I'm logged in from Bendigo, a month ago I was in Gol Gol NSW and a month before that Shepparton. At it's closest it's about 1000ks off and no its not someone else using my account, it's Facebook and incorrect postcodes just the same as Bunnings, Coles, Woolies all get it wrong from time to time.