1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Factory reset a Netgear GSM7224 switch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by THE_PROFESSOR, Oct 28, 2014.

1. THE_PROFESSOR

THE_PROFESSOR Member

Hi All.

I have been given a Netgear GSM7224 V1 Layer 2 Managed 24 port gigabit switch.
    I need to reconfigure it, but can't login via console because I don't have the password.

Anyone know how to factory reset this one?..

I have tried holding reset button while applying power and continue to hold reset for up to 30 sec... no good. I can factory reset via the console - if I can log in.

Netgear won't tell me because quote "... you have to have an active support contract for us to fault find this". No fault.. I just want a straightforward answer... but nope!

Cheers

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Does this model switch have a 'factory defaults' button on it somewhere?

3. power

power Member

It does but it does not reset the pwd afaik.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

From reading around, there are two buttons on a lot of netgear stuff, a reset, and a factory defaults button, which helpfully isn't always marked. It's supposed to reset it to factory default password though, so the story goes.

I also found something which says the default password for this switch is blank.

Unfortunately that link becomes incredibly unhelpful on what to do if it has been changed to something else. Says to refer to the manual, which says the reset button can be used to reset it to factory defaults, but doesn't say how.

A few other sources said the default password was 'password', and yet another said this can only be done via the console port, but no further info :Paranoid:

And I thought configuring a 2nd hand nortel switch was a pita...

5. OP
    OP
    THE_PROFESSOR

THE_PROFESSOR Member

Hi..

Thanks for the info.. all sorted...

Reset is performed by either

1. Power off, press and hold reset button, power up, continue to hold reset button for 30 sec, release reset button.

or 2. Whilst powered on, press and hold reset button for 20 or so seconds and then release.

I'm not sure which approach worked, as I did both - doh.

Important point to remember (I missed this initially) is that you must have the console connected before you reset, as immediately the switch powers up, it sends a "menu" to the console that only gives you a couple of seconds to select either boot normally or go to a config type option - where you can change stuff with the uid of admin and no password.

Cheers