Falcon 9 / Dragon

Discussion in 'Science' started by MoorKhan, Dec 8, 2010.

1. RnR

RnR Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. RnR

RnR Member

Offtopic, but should be of interest to folk here - Mr Musk's other startup, his tunneling company, has begun selling hats. Presumably not to fund his startup... https://www.boringcompany.com/hat/

There is also a snazzy video on how Mr Musk expects his tunnels to be used...

3. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Thanks,
    just ordered a hat. :)

Seriously though, no matter how fast the tunnel it's the elevator that'll limit the number of vehicles this system can move. On top of that it appears it'll result in the loss of one lane of existing roads. Doesn't seem like much of a solution to our traffic problems to me. Less cars on the road should be the goal and more people working from home is the way achieve that.

Back on topic Musk has also said he plans to have SpaceX build a FBR that'll take paying passengers to anywhere on the planet in 30 minutes. At first glance this seems feasible, we already have rockets that can do that however ICBMs carry nukes not humans. To get from space to the surface with a human cargo with a reasonable chance of survival takes 30 minutes. Even then Joe Average might not enjoy the G forces involved. That's only one part of the problem, not like we'd want this FBR with enough fuel to create a city levelling bang near built up areas

4. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Not falcon 9 related, but next tuesday at 09:47UTC (7:47pm AEST) is the second to last time we'll ever see a classic Delta rocket fly. one of only two remaining delta 2's in storage launching a weather satellite for the US equivalent of the bureau of met. There's one more next year or the year after

(the delta 4's pretty much an unrelated vehicle)

5. RnR

RnR Member

Offtopic, but related to Mars...

1 hour long video presentation at the 2017 Øredev Conference

6. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I thought he was joking when he tweeted it yesterday, but apparently it's confirmed that the payload for the falcon heavy test (now delayed to early january) is a tesla roadster, being sent to mars. Lol.

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Do you think they are pretty much expecting launch failure?
    (and all the data that will come from that)

8. Strange1

Strange1 Member

By the time the heavy actually launches it'll be a Model X 5.0 onboard...

9. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

It's a largerly new rocket design, well outside what SpaceX has done in the past (ie they're not interpolating between two known data points). I would put the chances of it getting off the pad somewhere around 50%, the chance of it passing the booster separation at 10%, and the chance of getting to Mars orbit at 5%. By far the most likely result is that we end up with bits of Tesla Roadster and Falcon Heavy scattered around the landscape, with the main question being how big the explosion is.

SpaceX is certainly not expecting to deliver the car to Mars orbit. They'll be delighted if it does that, but realistically the car is just there for publicity. I can see them making this a running gag - every Falcon Heavy attempts to launch a Tesla to Mars orbit, until one actually manages it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  10. Phido

Phido Member

Sig worthy. Yes.

If it does happen, I'm predicting a rash of sci-fi movies that involve an astronaut hot wiring a tesla roadster to get home from Mars!

11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Assuming of course that we're to interpret this as that they're sending it to mars orbit. I rather assumed they were just putting it in mars transfer orbit, given they dont have an in house upper stage, they'd have to send it with a star48 or something for the orbital insertion burn. The second (or should that be 2.5th) stage doesnt have a six month orbital lifespan

12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

CRS-13 earlier today. Both first stage and spacecraft are already flight proven - and the first for customer NASA/ISS. They didn't even bother cleaning/re-painting much of first stage this time.
    The high-altitude ground tracking camera gets some nice shots of MECO and separation, plus a great terrestrial landing shot of the twelve-story high first stage.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    MUTMAN likes this.
  13. Jacom

Jacom Member

Love watching that first stage land. It still seems unreal to me that self landing rockets aren't just planned, they are actually happening right now. I think i'll get goosebumps watching the Falcon Heavy launch.

MUTMAN likes this.