Falcon 9 / Dragon

Discussion in 'Science' started by MoorKhan, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Latest Falcon Heavy video from SpaceX gives some glimpses to the center core landing attempt.
    (lucky it didn't sink the ship).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Strange1

Strange1 Member

I thought he said they ran out of igniter fluid and couldn't reignite the engine?

3. KonMan

KonMan Member

If I recall correctly, it needed 3 engines going for the landing - not one.

Interesting that the legs didn't deploy..

Strange1 likes this.
  4. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

yes , as a result only 1 of the 3 needed engines reignited.

Strange1 likes this.
  5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Apparently the rocket is programmed to aim for a spot to miss the barge on purpose and then the computer performs a last minute correction and deploy of legs if everything is going ok - this way with any system failure the rocket will miss on purpose no matter what fails.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  6. KonMan

KonMan Member

Interesting! Makes perfect sense though...

After reading this and that apparently it ran out of Triethylboran? to light the engines, rather than fuel for the engines.

7. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Yep, that's what Mr Musk referred to in the post-flight press conference.
    Seems like it may have been at that last-minute course correction burn for the precise location of the barge when the TEA-TEB ran out.
    Since you'd expect the exclusion zone around the ship to be larger than where the core stage came down.
    If the issue had been detected sooner, I'm sure the abort program would have steered it well away to avoid possible damage, since the booster itself is lost at that point anyway.
    So for whatever reason (sensor failure maybe?), the flight computers thought everything was just peachy... until 2 out of 3 engines didn't ignite.

And that's why it's called a "suicide burn" (even though SpaceX doesn't call it that, because it doesn't make for very good PR). :lol:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

It sounds way better than "hoverslam" which is false anyway, because any "hovering" is wasting fuel (or dv) that could have been used to boost the payload higher, or make the launch cheaper.

9. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

... and if there's any actual "slamming" going on, it probably means that something has gone fairly wrong (see above). :lol:
    Funny really... Elon and SpaceX generally have their PR/marketing stuff locked down mad toit. Seems like they missed an opportunity here, which is rare for them.
    I would have called it something like the "JADAS burn"... Just Another Day At SpaceX.
    But I suppose "pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall".
    You'd be opening yourself up to a severe Internet Beating the first time you lost one. :lol:

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Nice one :).

To close to Dradis, and I'd think the Cylons were coming to get me.

11. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

I really should watch more of the original Battlestar Galactica, so I get more of these Cylon references.

Yeah, I know... Nerd Card revoked... I tried watching the remake but the "mad doctor and his Sexy Cylon imaginary friend" fanservice stuff just got too gratuitous for me.
    Call me old school, but I like my Sci-Fi to be more "sciency" fiction and less "I want to fuck a sexy robot alien".

/hijack

It would seem that choosing a good nickname or acronym for such a manoeuvre is harder than it first appears. ;)

12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Busy busy busy for the Falcon 9...

Successful launch of 10 satellites in one launch 3 days ago:

Successful launch of the Dragon spacecraft to deliver supplies to the ISS today:

13. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I'm kind of missing out on these now SpaceX isn't on Facebook. How do you guys keep abreast of when the launches are?

14. Jacom

Jacom Member

I've been reading the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/
    Heaps of info there.

BlueRaven and Alfonzo like this.
  15. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Eric Berger and associates over at Ars Technica seem to be pretty diligent in keeping abreast of their launch schedule and any interesting developments.
    They'll generally run an article about any new mission at least 4-5 days ahead of the intended launch window, with updates as T-0:00 approaches (and sometimes postmortem coverage after the fireworks are all over... :lol:).
    They will always have in-depth coverage of the mission if it's significant in some way, which quite a few of these recent launches have been, and should continue to be as SpaceX heads toward full deployment of the Heavy and the Block 5 booster.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  16. Jacom

Jacom Member

If your interested, the next launch is the TESS mission on the 16th: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/88l46q/tess_launch_campaign_thread/
    And then the big one on 4th May: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/8624iq/bangabandhu1_launch_campaign_thread/
    This one on the 4th will be the first use of the Block 5. It's supposed to be good for 10 flights (10!!) and I think upto 100 after some re-refurbishment.
    That just blows my mind.
    They'll be doing a design freeze as I understand it so they can get crew certification from NASA and it'll allow them to use the cash coming in from it's commercial launches and their engineers to work on the BFR.
    Some of the photos coming in look pretty good!

17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Twitter is also good: https://twitter.com/SpaceX for news and happenings.
    I much prefer Twitter as a social feed for corporate and developer news, Facebook is becoming bloated and less relevant more than ever.

18. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

19. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

It won't happen for a while yet. IIRC, they have to do seven (or was it five?) successful (unmanned) flights of the full Crew Dragon mission config to achieve the NASA cert?
    That's going to take some time - due to available launch windows if nothing else - even if they can keep up their current amazingly busy launch schedule and suffer no mishaps in the meantime.

20. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I'm vaguely confused by wtf orbital-atk are doing with their Next Generation Launcher proposal bidding for development money off the airforce. The thing's really just an upgraded and modified version of Ares I, and the ares I had a projected cost per launch of about $140M USD even back then (albeit that's for an orion launch).

Kinda makes me wonder if all it's about is bumping up the price they can get out of Northrop Grumman in their current takeover negotiations. They've publically stated they need to get 6 launches a year for it to be profitable, and I just dont see their share of the us defense launch manifest being that many launches reliably, when by that point they're going to be up against a mature vulcan, very mature falcon 9 block 5/falcon heavy, blue origin, and potentially only like a couple of years into its life the BFR too...