Falcon 9 / Dragon

Discussion in 'Science' started by MoorKhan, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Member

That's not how Musk works at all. His method (proven time and time again with every company he is involved with) is to pick a massively unrealistic date and say it loudly and confidently to attract media attention and funding.

There is no way that 2028 was realistic at all, ever. They are aiming for 2023 (which is still unlikely) for a fly around the moon. So 5 years after that an entire Mars base was meant to be built and supporting people? Not a single piece of equipment in that render has been created yet, so having it built, tested, launched, travelling for 8 months to Mars, landing, assembled and operational by 2028 would be more like something that happens in a movie where all of humanity have to concentrate solely on fleeing Earth because it is going to be hit by a rogue planet.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    MUTMAN and PabloEscobar like this.
  2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

As Musk said recently though, no one could have predicted (including himself) how far SpaceX have come in the 10 years since the company had their first flight to orbit to now.
    What will they be able to achieve in the next 10 years?

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Screw you naysayers. ;)

When I saw a rocket almost land on a boat after going... in.... to..... space I was so very impressed.

What's been achieved is still well beyond what I thought was possible even by NASA with 10 times the budget it has now.

I think were in for a hell of a ride, even despite how so hard space is.

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

MUTMAN and aokman like this.
  6. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Well you'd sure have to say it looks like the ISS is going to be without a crew for a while from ~ late january...

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. aokman

aokman Member

Wish Elon would ride in on a horse and say hey weill get you up next week :lol:

8. RnR

RnR Member

He is no longer allowed on twitter :(

9. aokman

aokman Member

Awwwwwww the world just got boring :upset:

10. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

He still is, but only via a lawyer (although may only apply to Tesla stuff because they are public)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 1:15 PM
  11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Another possible issue I havent seen mentioned anywhere is that the current progress is NOT docked in the correct place to perform a station reboost, and so the only current way to perform one is with zvezda, assuming there's currently enough fuel on board. I'm not sure if they're actually able to perform an unmanned reboost manouver. So if, say, the station is unmanned from the end of january to late june (which currently looks like the best-case scenario, not the worst-case) there's going to be, what, at least one reboost missed? Anyone know if zvezda can do a ground-controlled reboost entirely unmanned?

Kinda lucky it's at a higher orbit than it used to be in the shuttle days

EDIT - Also apparently the engines on zvezda havent even been fired since 2007

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

What happens if they cant be fired up ?
    Toasted ISS reentry ?

13. aokman

aokman Member

Couldnt they send up an empty SpaceX resupply early and use one to reboost? I guess its not certified though knowing red tape NASA.

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Fairly sure the Russians will "get to the bottom of this recent launch failure" and re-approve the Soyuz platform for human spaceflight pretty quickly, or at least Go another unmanned launch for resupply/reboost purposes.
    Given that ISS ressuply and crew transport is pretty much the only thing keeping their space program alive at the moment, but the administration and military still have certain specific interests up there.
    They will want to get this incident squared away and get back to normal operations as quickly as possible I would think. There would be contractual obligations/penalties to consider here, if nothing else.

All of that being said, such procedures are always going to have a lot of bureaucratic inertia... :Paranoid:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:43 PM
    MUTMAN likes this.
  15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Who knows with all the budget cuts to the Russian space program lately, this is why they only were sending up one cosmonaut this time when it was their turn to send two by the way.

"Getting to the bottom of this" will probably reveal cost cutting/cutting corners which lead to malfunctions, surprise!
    Once commercial US companies SpaceX/Boeing take over NASA supply and re-man contracts the Russian program will die a quick death unfortunately, which is sad.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    MUTMAN likes this.
  16. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Nah, they dock at completely the wrong point on the station to make it feasible. You need the thrust to be *something like* down the centre of gravity, which atm means only progress when it's on the far end of the russian segment

If it were a serious issue it'd be more likely to risk sending up an unmanned soyuz rocket w/ progress and hope it doesnt have a repeat. In fact one thing I've heard bandied about which sounds like a likely compromise solution is they might send up an unmanned soyuz spacecraft to replace the one currently docked, so that they can keep the three guys up there another 200 days. Risk the possibility that there's a systemic problem and not just a one-off failure

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 11:57 AM