Falcon 9 / Dragon

Discussion in 'Science' started by MoorKhan, Dec 8, 2010.

1. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Falcon heavy lunch experience is amazing. I can't overestimate this, it was emotional. That said the launch conditions a very finite and I would plan at least 7 days of attempts to increase your chances of seeing one and pick your type of launch to not be locked into a small window.
    The long and slender nature of the rocket coupled with Space X's aggressive modification / appetite for risk means lots of srubs.

The conditions for launch were very restrictive on the 6A because of the new block 5 was being watched by military (future contracts) and the satellites geostationary requirements meant it had a 2 hour afternoon window. I planed to be in Florida for for 11 days and saw it on the very last day before I had to fly out.
    This is where it ties into the FTH tix.

Worth it? Short answer - yes but with caveats.

I got my tix cheap as many had to leave and it was a gamble as I had to leave the next day. If I had to pay full price I would want to be in location for some time to ensure I got to use the tix and the view from Cocoa beach is better for the booster returns.

We ended up staying in Cocoa beach the whole time and dropped other activities off to cater for my primary reason for going. We just did day trips out including Orlando (universal studios) when it was postponed.

FTH tix

Pros,
    Closet your going to get for the launch.
    Surrounded by very like minded people that really creates amazing atmosphere.
    Your at the Kennedy space museum so can look at stuff while waiting. You get a a couple of free entries when you buy the tix to the museum. I spent 3 days there and loved it.
    As I brought second hand I missed out on the first days buffet and goodies bag but all said it was really well done.
    You can buy the mission patch post successful lunch when leaving.
    You can bring a picnic, chairs umbrella and set up on the grass.

Cons,
    Price, Cocoa beach is free and a pretty good location if you can walk and have a picnic. Did this for one of the scubs and was a good day out.
    traffic line ups and paperwork to drive into the exclusion zone and traffic on the way back. It's a long day but the NASA space center pole really organize it well. You will need to be prepared to do it all over again the next day, and the next. Many from the failed night before said it was a somber and long time (4hrs) to get out.
    You may not see a lunch and tix are not refundable.
    The side booster reentry viewing is a little worse than Cocoa beach but that is offset by the launch closeness.

Hit me up if you need more info including Air B & B recommendations. Accommodation is expensive at various spring break times. Universal I'm told was way better than Disney, I enjoyed my day there with the wife but it cost us just under 1K to skip the lines with a fast pass to get it done in under 1 day. With kids you may need to remortgage.

Oh and Dallas international transfer is an abortion.

lxboston, RnR and PabloEscobar like this.
  2. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

I had heard via Scott Manley on YT. If what he's been told is correct there's more to it than just an engine failure, the crew capsule was badly damaged and that should not have happened.

3. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.
  4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

This was just a test fire of the previous returned-from-space vehicle right?
    Looks like landing in the ocean seized up something that needed to open but didn't - they really need to land these in the desert like the Soyuz.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.
  5. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Yes it was a previously returned capsule undergoing a test. That something went bang is a possibly minor problem.
    Nothing going bang with the engines that are there to effect crew escape should damage the capsule. That the bang destroyed the capsule potentially killing the crew is a very big problem. On he upside it's happened during a test.

This is the first crew escape system to use liquid fuel rockets, both Russia and the USA have used solid fuel . SpaceX are using hypergolic fuel with the intent of using the engines during capsule descent.

6. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Think it was test fired a few times and was just one of the last fires that went wrong.

I read the crewed capsule are always planned to be built from scratch and only single use so maybe they were just hoping to use this for the crew abort test to save some coin and get some data for recovered capsules.

In a way they did get some data. Salt and space engines are not friends.

Salt aside water might be a nicer landing on the spine yeah?

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Current plans are to use them once for manned missions then reuse them for cargo missions

8. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The caveat here is that it is a previously launched/landed capsule they fished out of the Ocean, they were testing for viability. Not a fresh new vehicle they would use for manned missions.
    They have test-fired the engines on the vehicle many times before.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.
  9. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Sure but unless it can be proven that previous damage to the capsule was what caused it to fail to protect the crew then I would expect SpaceX will be required to prove a new capsule will provide enough protection for the crew to survive such an event. The background to this is questions were raised about the use of hypergolic fuel for a crew escape system and SpaceX gave assurances that in a worst case event the capsule would protect its human cargo. This incident does seem to question those assurances and the recent Boeing MCAS debacle probably has the aerospace industry on edge.

What's nor clear is why SpaceX were doing this test. AFAIK prior to this they were good to go for manned flight to the ISS. The rumour mill suggests now that will not be until sometime in 2020.

10. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

They werent good to go. They've got to do the inflight abort test first, and this capsule is the one that was destined for that test. Presumably they were verifying it post-inspection ahead of that, which was meant to be in the next couple of months sometime. Nasa has also not yet signed off on the falcon for their human-rating requirements, few more verification launches still required.

11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

So if NASA is serious about doing a 2024 manned moon landing, here's a low budget way to do it: Take one used but tested dragon 2 (once they've sorted their shit), remove the heat shield, add landing legs, launch on a falcon heavy unmanned to dock with whatever part of the lunar orbital gateway is built at that time, send the crew on orion, transfer to dragon 2, land on surface :p.

Like seriously, I cannot imagine any other lunar lander is even close to as ready

EDIT - Thinking more about this, not sure of the delta-v requirements for lunar surface to lunar orbit. So it might have to be, replace the trunk with a landing legs plus relaunch motor sort of thing. Cant see any reason why that motor couldnt be a simple solid motor job.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.
  12. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Wow! I just watched Tony Stark Elon Musks Falcon Heavy launch and then land all three boosters, the two side pods on land (it so looks like a video game cut scene) and the big one on the ship Of course I still love you!

Just amazing!

13. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

https://www.spacex.com/webcast

CRS 17's launch not far away...... Postponed to Saturday at t-15 mins. Elec fault on drone ship. that's a unlucky waste of suepr cooled propellant.

They had a helium leak as well going to try and sort that out as well.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  14. aokman

aokman Member

CRS-17 was bloody amazing, possibly the most visually stunning launch I have seen. The launch plume as the 2nd stage lit and the boost back burn started was glorious! The new infrared camera captured the incoming landing burn and could this be the first live droneship landing?

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Video here for anyone that missed it:

Also, some interesting info on some of the health and science experiments being sent to the ISS for research.
    https://www.issnationallab.org/

aokman and MUTMAN like this.
  16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i agree, great photography setup and capture :thumbup:

17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The landing barge was not very far offshore this time, which explains the IR tracking camera which was on land. They could have almost landed it on land it looked so close.

This cool long exposure photo shows you how close the landing was to the launch site, it also features the 2nd stage sep, boost back burn, and re-entry engine burns as picked up by the camera:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    MUTMAN and whatdoesthisdo like this.
  18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

very cool pic :thumbup:

19. RnR

RnR Member

Seeing a launch from space...

We are soo small... :(

samos, lxboston, aokman and 3 others like this.
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Thanks for that clip RNR
    it lead me to something not quite spaceX related but i'm sure most here will appreciate

1:10-1:20 kind of surprised me :o I didn't ever stop to think of the event except from the "big bang" point

RnR and Sphinx2000 like this.