Falcon 9 / Dragon

Discussion in 'Science' started by MoorKhan, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Interestingly, each 227Kg sat has autonomous collision avoidance tech (first time ever) that will adjust their course to avoid other objects and debris either detected locally or advised via the NASA's object monitoring service. They are made up of 95% demisable components, which means that at de-orbit after their lifecycle they will burn up to dust. This exceeds the minimum spec required, and they plan to get to a 100% demisable design in future iterations.

Their design also allows for a de-orbit in a few months when active or 1-5 years if passive/failed state through natural orbit decay, this is instead of the normal industry standard 25 years passive orbit decay for low earth orbit in a failed state.

Raising the bar!

RnR likes this.
  2. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Musk also alluded to using them to collect space junk on the way out with the collision avoidance system. Guess you can turn it into a collision assurance system.

Not verified but the concerns regarding the satellites visibility form earth have got some comments that this should only happen during the sun rise / set phase. I think it's going to be one of those things that we will have to get used to if we want this connectivity. Many sci fi movies have this low orbit traffic pictured.

I did wonder if we need to start planning out launch highways and keeping these area's satellite and debris free but I think that should have happened already..

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Informative if you want to learn about all the different engines and how they compare to the new Raptor engine that is currently on test:

aokman and MUTMAN like this.
  4. aokman

aokman Member

So has anyone heard anything about Falcon Heavy STP-2? I am planning to go for this last launch as there are no more Falcon Heavy launches until late next year at the earliest :(

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Still a TBD Launch window around June 22 at this stage.
    A SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket will launch the STP-2 (DSX, Lightsail 2, Formosat-7) mission. The launch date is currently targeted for June 22, 2019 (UTC)

6. aokman

aokman Member

mmmmm I need to make this happen! I have already booked the week off with work and looking at tickets now :)

RnR and MUTMAN like this.
  7. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Unlucky, looking like a drone ship landing rather than land.

I would wait for a land recovery if your able to wait.

8. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

It's another Falcon Heavy launch, i.e the 2 x side cores land back on pads near the launch site (at the same time) and a sea landing for the 1 x central core downrange.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    whatdoesthisdo and MUTMAN like this.
  9. aokman

aokman Member

I don’t think you would ever see a centre core land back at base with the Falcon Heavy. Usually the centre is at a lower thrust (70%?) until the boosters drop away then it throttles up putting it further down range and it’s going to have a lot of delta V.

10. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Sorry I got some wrong info from another launch when I was checking the payload / launch window but something does not quite add up.

They are going to MEO with multiple burns but some sites have mentioned they filed with the FAA a request to land the booster down range at less than 40Km's,

So apart from the possible midnight launch window this may be better than the Arabsat 6A I saw this year as you may just see 3 booster landings or the booster re-entry burn at lest.

11. aokman

aokman Member

Id love to see a night launch! Should be quieter as well one would hope

12. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

aokman if you hadnt already seen, stp-2's been pushed back to the 24th at this stage (no earlier than the 24th)

13. aokman

aokman Member

Of course it has :lol: thanks for the heads up!

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

aokman
    Will you still get to see any launch ?
    Edit - fingers crossed for you :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  15. aokman

aokman Member

I am planning on it but time is running out, need the static fire to happen soon so i can lock things in :Paranoid:

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I hope it happens for you man. I'm so jelly :thumbup:

aokman likes this.
  17. RnR

RnR Member

So much fog at launch!

Start is at 12:30

aokman and MUTMAN like this.
  18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

so much fog, but some of the pictures was so clear compared to other launches. that first stage separation was great footage as it peeled back, beautiful :o
    And the landing of the first stage was some of the best clarity yet (from the on board cameras that is)

19. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Not spacex related, but a little bit of general space geekery... It seems lego consider the Saturn V kit such a success they're just going bananas on space kits. The new lunar lander is super cool, but they've just announced this years winner of the lego IDEAs competition (where everyday punters come up with designs and lego picks one to develop in house into a commercial kit) and they've selected a pretty awesome prototype for an international space station kit. Cant wait to see what the final product ends up looking like. Particularly love the docked spaceshuttle :).

(Oh boy do I want that lunar lander. Student budgets suck :p)

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. Copie

Copie Member

Yep the Luner lander is awesome, as well the ISS. They need to re release the space shuttle and do the Falcon Heavy (which is in review currently)