1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Falcon 9 / Dragon

Discussion in 'Science' started by MoorKhan, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

The new Starship demo animation, the future is soon?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    RnR likes this.
  2. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah my bad... I thought the new one was on the right... cheers for the headsup :thumbup:

Its Friday... :tired:

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. andrew_bg

andrew_bg Member

All good!

4. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

The actual update presentation really didnt have a lot of new information in it, but bits of the Q&A were information gold, I've got to say. Glad I watched the whole thing. I'm not one of the world's largest Tim Dodd fans, but his question and Elon's answer were particularly enlightening, re the specific engineering challenge with Raptor 2 (chamber cooling / not having chamber melting)

BlueRaven likes this.
  5. andrew_bg

andrew_bg Member

Yeah I found that interesting too.

He did say that the current test stand raptor2 had 700 sec worth of firing, but the whole melting the throat is interesting information.
    It's interesting because as Elon said, they are on track to have built 5 next week and 7-8 the next week.
    Isnt that counter-intuitive if they are melting throats?

I guess that it is probably just at that chamber pressure and to be perfection honest, when you need 29 (or 33) per booster and 6 (or 9) per starship, and you havent orbitally flown any yet, then I think that it is safe to say that reusability isnt an issue.
    They will probably write off hundreds of raptor2s on re-entry or landing, so there's plenty of time yet to sort out the melting chambers.

Also, on the not a lot of info in the presentation, I reckon that that is because they hadnt planned one, but people were asking Elon for an update, so they pretty much spun up that event in a week I think it was.

I agree, the gold was in the questions.
    I found it odd that the same questions keep getting asked year on year, and Elon is still answering them the same way.

"how are you progressing with life support?" - "not our priority at the moment but we could just scale up Dragon systems"

It was interesting that the answer to Phobos and Deimos was different this time in that they are going to have one operational by the end of the year.
    That was clearly in mitigation to the Boca Chica approvals issues and the possibility that an EIS will need to be done rather than the EA.
    Coupled with the news that they expect the 39a to be starship ready by the end of the year and it wouldnt surprise me if Boca Chica is purely R&D with no real flight numbers.
    ie they might be resigned to the fact that they are going to have real heavy restrictions on launch activities from Starbase and just the risky RUD possible testing will be done from there without taking out a floating platform or 39a.

It's all interesting.

Oh and the most curious response to me was the answer to 'what other target markets are you looking to for Starship' question resulted in an answer that basically said that there were some exciting announcements coming up but that Elon would let those involved make the announcement.
    I did wonder if this is space station replacement or commercial space station related as SuperHeavy and Starship can obviously loft a far bigger chunk weighing substantially more than any other booster, and cheaper too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    BlueRaven likes this.
  6. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

I didn't know they were also building a second Starship production and launch facility at Cape Canaveral either..

BlueRaven likes this.
  7. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Aside from Elon's cringy "relatable" jokes and umm... ahh... fumbles, I quite enjoyed the presentation.
    (but yeah, definitely not one of his better Dance Monkey Dance highlights imho)

The Mars movie was suitably cool and as others have said, the question responses were interesting.
    Manufacturing/assembly redundancy at Boca Chica and the Cape was new to me and makes all kinds of sense.

Kinda cool that they settled on 33 engines, nice little historical link there... honestly wouldn't be surprised if they could have gotten by with 30 to achieve the projected mission profiles, but... :)
    I was also hugely impressed by advances with Raptor 2 in every possible way. Remarkable.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  8. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

SpaceX are launching another Commercial Amateur Crewed Dragon mission to high-orbit in Q4 this year:
    https://polarisprogram.com/dawn/

[​IMG]

HIGH ALTITUDE
    This Dragon mission will take advantage of Falcon 9 and Dragon’s maximum performance, flying higher than any Dragon mission to date and endeavoring to reach the highest Earth orbit ever flown. Orbiting through portions of the Van Allen radiation belt, Polaris Dawn will conduct research with the aim of better understanding the effects of spaceflight and space radiation on human health.

FIRST COMMERCIAL SPACEWALK
    At approximately 500 kilometres above the Earth, the crew will attempt the first-ever commercial extravehicular activity (EVA) with SpaceX-designed extravehicular activity (EVA) spacesuits, upgraded from the current intravehicular (IVA) suit. Building a base on the Moon and a city on Mars will require thousands of spacesuits; the development of this suit and the execution of the EVA will be important steps toward a scalable design for spacesuits on future long-duration missions.

Billionare Jared Isaacman is going again (and help paying for it), this time along with a retired United States Air Force Lieutenant Colonel test pilot and two engineers from the SpaceX astronaut training program.
    They will be in space for up to 5 days.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  9. andrew_bg

andrew_bg Member

Yes, this is epic, there are a lot of technologies in these 3 missions that we havent heard of yet, such as the EVA suits and EVA ability from Dragon and laser based starlink comms FROM ABOVE.

The other really interestng thing, and this is what Elon hinted at in Starship preentation, is that mission 3 of Polaris is crewed starship!
    Just wild.

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

SpaceX have successfully launched their first Privately Crewed Mission to the International Space Station yesterday.

Good daylight footage of the Crewed Dragon auto-docking with the ISS a few hours ago :thumbup:

Video Link

upload_2022-4-10_8-53-37.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  11. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Another Crew-4 launch is happening right now, SpaceX may as well be the new NASA..

Jacom, MUTMAN and stiben like this.
  12. Frinky

Frinky Member

13. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

And Crew-4 docked.

upload_2022-4-28_10-1-55.png

14. Jacom

Jacom Member

Tims recent interview with Elon (part 1?)

Elon Musk Explains Updates To Starship And Tours Starbase! [Spring 2022]

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  15. andrew_bg

andrew_bg Member

This was pretty good, looking forward to part 2 though and the raptors and the shots from the top of the launch tower.

It's funny that either the fanbase gets the naming of things right, or SpaceX adopt fan naming conventions.
    The new starship with the thin cargo door, Elon was calling the 'Pez Dispenser' and it is for starlink deployment on the maiden orbital flight.

Some good details about what ship and booster they will use, going straight for orbital and not the 3/4 Hawaii mode as previously said.

16. Jacom

Jacom Member

Also the idea that they might reduce the number of fins or even delete the forward flaps. Did not anticipate that.

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

The landing footage from the starlink lift from yesterday is absolutely brilliant :thumbup::thumbup:

stiben and Sphinx like this.
  18. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Nice clear continuous daylight clear-sky footage the entire way.
    You can clearly see the moment the vehicle re-enters the atmosphere and shakes a bit before smoke starts to show in the air environment. :leet:

Here for anyone wondering:
    Starts from 16:45

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    whatdoesthisdo and MUTMAN like this.
  19. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Nice daytime launch and coverage of the more-rare land based landing this morning:

Landing of the 12-storey high first stage starts at 19:45

Humans for scale:

upload_2022-5-26_11-25-20.png

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    MUTMAN likes this.
  20. Jacom

Jacom Member

Tims recent interview with Elon - part 2

Go up SpaceX's Starship-catching robotic launch tower with Elon Musk!

andrew_bg and MUTMAN like this.