Fallout 4

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ADV, Nov 18, 2013.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

EDIT: Rumours of a release date are flying about... 23rd October, to coincide with the "pre-birthday" of the apocalypse??
    Video from Gopher (respected long-term mod creator and youtuber) has more:

I guess we'll know more after E3.

Something about Bethesda games brings out the entitled internet goon squad in full force. I mean, so does every major AAA release, but it seems especially prevalent with Bethesda titles.
    There's a total disconnect between what these people want and how much time, effort and creativity and complexity goes into creating these massive open worlds.

Seriously, I just checked my Steamapps folder... FO3 GOTY is just shy of 9GB without mods.
    FNV is 6.75 (no dlc or mods).
    Skyrim is fucking 15.7GB (all DLC but no mods).

That is a ridiculous arseload of graphical assets, hundreds of hours of dialog, countless man-hours of scripting for quests and NPCs.
    To say nothing of porting it all across three platforms, and playtesting, and bugfixing.

And yet... " I saw a tree clip through a building, the devs should all be fucking shot!!1!!eleven". :rolleyes:

Yes, there will be bugs. Yes, the more glaring and game-breaking ones will be patched.
    Don't preorder or buy on day one so you can yell FIRST! like an arsehole (along with millions of other arseholes), wait a month or two and it will be sweet.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had a problem with their Gamebryo games if bought via Steam. Download, run, no problems.
    Only time I had issues was with my original disc copy of FO3, and that was due to GFWL (shudder). The game itself ran fine.
    I still apply all the usual .ini tweaks, unofficial patches and performance tweaks of course, for long-term stability and smoothness.
    Having Windows patched up and all drivers up to date goes without saying of course. Also see above re. waiting a couple of months for major bugs to be patched out.
    I'm happy to let other people be the live release playtesters and discover all the awesome new ways they can make their game crash. I don't need to be first in line. :)

To be honest though, I think most people that whinge online about CTDs on startup or in-game crashes are probably trying to run the game on a five year old laptop with 2 gig of RAM and shitty integrated graphics... the very definition of "Minimum Specs". Or they're trying to run mods without having a clue what they're doing.

EDIT2: Sorry for wall of text... again. I just enjoy talking shit on the internet, it's a hard habit to break. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  2. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I don't wanna get to excited just yet but Damn! If 23rd of October was true that would be epic!

3. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Citation needed. Until such point if it looks like a duck... I'm not questioning the graphics, I'm questioning the shit floaty feel their games have. The guns have no oomph and it feels like you spray something with a hose and then it comically flies off 30m across the ground despite the enemy wearing 200kg of metal.

I'll be chuffed if they've ditched the Creation/Gamebryo engine for id Tech but the video just doesn't have the look of id Tech and I doubt they are going to take that much of a risk.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. AMLagonda

AMLagonda Member

Ok I will ask here...

Gigabyte N980-G1-GAMING-4GD $749

Gigabyte N970-G1-GAMING-4GD $515

What Is Better Value please?

Need more power for Fallout 4 so i can probably wait a bit longer lol.

5. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

Absolutely talking out my arse, there's bits and pieces that seem Gamebryo-ish (like physics related things) and if it is different it's definitely not id Tech level of different but I can hope.

As someone who played the absolute living crap out of Oblivion and Fallout 3 (not Morrowind though) they certainly have gotten better with the engine. Maybe after 15 games with the Gamebryo engine they'll have learnt how to stranglehold it into working somewhat.

6. BlueRaven

There's hints about the place which strongly suggest it won't be Gamebryo, and will be id-Tech based.

Zenimax has owned id since 2010 and filed a patent for the id-Tech based "Void Engine" back in 2013, which fits with Bethesda's development timeline for FO4.
    Gamebryo is obviously getting very long in the tooth, and Tech 5 has had some solid (if not amazingly game-changing) releases based on it e.g. RAGE and Wolfenstein: The New Order.
    I reckon there's a good chance the powers-that-be at Zenimax consider it to be "mature tech" by now and would want to leverage their IP by pushing Beth to use it for FO4.

RAGE is still sitting installed but unplayed in my library, so I dunno if that's a great thing or not.
    But I just watched the FO4 trailer again and gosh dangit, I reckon it looks pretty damn fine.
    I don't mind the BioShock Inifinite style colour saturation. FO3 and New Vegas were great post-apocalyptic settings, but let's face it... they were often pretty drab without mods.
    It makes sense to me that humanity would try to inject some colour and life into their surroundings to stave off the bleakness of post-apocalyptic existence.

I just hope Bethesda can hack together a mod toolkit based on it, to be released along with the game.

7. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

970 is better value for money but price drops might be coming soon with the new AMD card.

8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Not to mention Carmack outlined his ideas for tech 6 before leaving and they hired ex cryengine devs to work on it. A lot of the toolkit is built into the engine already.

9. jay-stormchaser

jay-stormchaser Member

There is one very small scene in the trailer that shows a few ghouls running through what looks like a shopping mall (one crashes into a shopping trolley) and it looks so much like the animations from Rage it isn't funny.

I really hope that they do change engines as I'm really tired of Gamebryo.

10. BlueRaven

That bit caught my eye too, it looked cutscene-ish but still done in-engine.

The lighting looks quite nice. Environment and creature textures look much improved too, especially details like clutter and flora.

Of course, I'm basing all that on 3 minutes of trailer footage. :lol:

11. Foliage

Foliage Member

Agreed, Gamebryo sucks, the game was still awesome with a crap engine though so I think F4 can be even more amazing than before if it has a good engine.

12. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

If u compare the detail of the fo4 securitron (textures and 3d mesh) to fo3, you'd notice a huge upgrade.
    me, I'm just glad it's coming out otherwise if it was a late 2016 release, then skyrim2 would be 2017, but now we're faced with the prospect of fo4 and skyrim within 16/17 months.

13. antenna

antenna Member

The main thing I remember about that id Tech engine (from playing the latest Wolfenstein) is that it doesn't support SLI/Crossfire at all which in 2015 is a bit shit. Also with 4k and such gaining popularity it is a bit of a drawback.

14. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

There might be a 4k texture pack, but we'll know more later...

15. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

16. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

3 things to help make FO4 epic...

1....more scoped weapons{should happen}
    2....hardcore mode
    3....an upgradeable sprint

17. kreegor

kreegor Member

I've been out of action for the last 2 weeks..... Damn that trailer!

I need more fallout!

18. power

power Member

Hope they push out more info @ E3.

19. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

More fallout 4...sure :) Release date Nov 10th (2015) !!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  20. power

power Member

that looks AWESOME!!!

/dowant now kthx.