1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout 76, new Bethesda games studio AAA?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Kookooburra, May 31, 2018.

1. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I haven't got NMS but wasn't that more of a case of over promising but under delivering? I mean I feel there is a degree of forgiveness there being it was a group of relatively new dev's, but FO76 from an observer POV just seems really sloppy for a big company title with a lot of issues that they should have known better about.

2. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

NMS just flat out lied about lack of multiplayer in there game.

3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

NMS was straight up lies but at least not buggy.

FO76 had less lies but is also buggy as shit. Worst of this year for me. I paid out $99 for online preorder I was that keen after ~8 hours of beta, cancelled. It was just bad and imo, unrecoverable. It made me want togo back and play FO4 though.

4. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

So the Canvas Bag bait-n-switch is a gift that just keeps on giving (if you're one of the people calling it "bag-gate" you can fuck off and go die in a dumpster fire just like this one).

The lies were perhaps not as grand in scope and scale as Sean Murray's, but there certainly were plenty of them.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

"Obviously we didn't fully test this system before putting it into production, but as soon as we noticed our massive fuckup we took it down, because we take the privacy of our customers lawsuits pretty seriously".

7. roamin

roamin Member

it just keeps getting worse for them. its a shame a title with so much strength is killed this way.

Fortigurn likes this.
  8. japes

japes Member

Saw one video describe it as a "conga line of embarrassment" - yep. Good to see people are finally realising that Bethesda are garbage.

9. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

It's not just Bethesda-as-publisher though, it's the whole "AAA" industry.
    Bethesda studios has done good (if bug-filled) work on some of the most beloved franchises in the past.
    If they hadn't, there wouldn't be such a huge community of people who have basically just been given the finger.

The whole industry is eating itself by, to paraphrase Jim Sterling again, not just wanting to make some money, or a lot of money, or even a shitload of money.
    The investors want to make all the fucking money in the world on every new release. It's simply unsustainable.
    But in order to keep the hype train running, the publishers tell investors that they'll make more money off fewer people by jamming monetisation into every aspect of every game.
    "Fun with friends" = more chances to sucker somebody into a pointless cosmestic microtransaction or worse, convincing people to buy into a p2w scam.

Epic singleplayer-only games are dead. Too expensive to make, for not enough growth potential in year-on-year sequels.
    The drip-fed profit potential of "Games as a Live Service" killed them. Game over man, game over. :(

XanaTos likes this.
  10. boneburner

boneburner Member

11. melatonin

melatonin Member

Plenty of epic single player games this year, RDR2, spider man are the most recent, re2 early next year, nier automata going back a little while. TLOU 2 isn’t far away.

BlueRaven likes this.
  12. havabeer

havabeer Member

And dont forget cyberpunk 2077

BlueRaven likes this.
  13. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Yeah yeah, got me petticoats all in a flap there a bit perhaps. :)

I don't play on consoles though, can't afford to run more than one platform, so that limits the choices a bit.
    There's still plenty of studios putting out good SP stuff and plenty of indies doing their thing.
    I still waste many happy hours in KSP, still do the occasional FTL run, got a bunch of stuff I haven't even looked at yet, but highly recommended. :)

But this "Live Service" bullshit is here to stay amongst the majors, that's for sure. And those are resources which won't be used to create big singleplayer epics anymore.
    I was chatting about this stuff with a mate who doesn't game, and he asked "when was the last really big, totally new singleplayer franchise which blew everyone away?".
    I honestly wasn't sure. So I said Bioshock, and maybe Dead Space. But then I had to explain what happened to them, in context of what we were originally talking about.

I know a lot of people are currently looking to CD PR as the "last great singleplayer studio".
    But they are being just as sensationalist as I was above. :)
    Excited for CP2077 though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  14. im late

im late Member

Played several hours co-op Friday night, then a few hours this morning solo, still have not experienced issues with the game...except for being booted of the server once, then got straight back on.

Am liking the penitentiary and Grafton steel events. The events are OK for XP as I am only level 12 so far. Only "decent" weapons I have thus far is a 10mm sub machine gun and hunter rifle with scope. Two headshots with the rile takes out super mutants.

I just use my machete to take out scorched/basic creatures. No point wasting bullets on them.

Still enjoying the game so far, but not liking the constant food and water requirement, but it is an RPG based game so comes with the territory I guess.

15. im late

im late Member

Also have come accross many online humans and all have been ok. Either they leave me alone or we all just finish an event and loot. No hostiles yet....

So higher level ups give a thumbs up for going straight in for the Grafton monster kills. Pretty silly if you ask me but I tend to do,the "Bruce Willis" manovouer...lol

Not really doing any main or side missions, just exploring and doing events for now.

16. breno

breno Member

And don't forget Dying Light 2

17. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

And Don't forget Metro: Exodus and Stalker 2.

18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Rdr2 also has the biggest pay to win multi tacked on though.

19. power

power Member

Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider Man, God of War.

come ooooon think harder.

20. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

There all console games and for most of this forum that’s no good.