false disk failures, an interesting article @ techspot...

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tiro_uspsss, Mar 29, 2013.

1. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Am I missing something here? SATA HDDs are less likely to actually fail?

300K SAS drives and 15 - 30 failures per day; call it 22.5 failures per day on average. One failure per 13333 drives per day.

1.2M SATA drives and 60 - 80 failures per day; call it 70 failures per day on average. One failure per 17143 drives per day.

3. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

You are missing something:

"What’s interesting is the relative failure rate of SAS drives vs. SATA. It’s about an order of magnitude worse in SATA drives than SAS. "

SATA drives = greater failure rate according to him. Meanwhile we have not seen any stats or research on this. So who cares what he says .. and, oh by the way, he does have an interest in SAS drives (LSI guy) .. so meh.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

5. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

LSI sells controllers that support both SAS & SATA, so I don't see a bias in that. His words have more weight than your opinion.

Well done on the misquote & misinformation. :rolleyes: :thumbdn: :thumbdn: :thumbdn:
    I just read the 13 page PDF of that study:

So thats SATA & PATA, no SCSI or SAS & no enterprise grade included. :tired:

6. rowan194

rowan194 Member

I've had one of those drives. When put into a RAID1 array it starts clicking away, then is disconnected a short period later due to errors and timeouts. The strange thing is that it's quite happy to run as a standalone drive... no problems at all. A zero fill, which is basically functionally the same as an array rebuild, succeeds without any errors.

In both instances it's sitting in exactly the same computer, same SATA port... it's just something about the RAID1 rebuild that makes it play up.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Wow, aren't you a cranky guy then? From the PDF, page 11:

Enterprise or not, drives fail, and fail often. There are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are statistics. MTBF is a nice statistic, but I've bought million dollar SANs full of enterprise (SCSI, SAS and FC across two decades) disks where I've had drives die in the first 24 hours of operation.

Drives die. Spend all the money you like, they still die. Buy the most expensive ones you like, they still die (and do so before the advertised MTBF, because it's a mean, not an absolute).

This is why we have RAID, and this is why we have backups on top of RAID.

And finally:

When you ask people for their thoughts and comments, you get their thoughts and comments. Being a prick in return like this:
    ...doesn't do much to make people want to contribute to your threads.

8. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Could not have said it better myself :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

Your reading comprehension sucks. :thumbdn: You stated Google did a study which included SAS & SCSI drives. They didn't - read your what you quoted again. Talagala and Patterson did a study, albeit on a small sample, of 368 SCSI drives, sure, but not Google like you quoted.

never disagreed :thumbup:

If simply disagreeing with someone & giving weight to one individuals words more than another makes me prickly, by all means feel free, the both of you, to man the heck up :thumbup:
    Bringing your 'feelings' into this isn't a contribution :thumbdn:
    If you want to disagree with the LSI guy, no problemo! :)
    Post something meaningful, maybe you've done your own study, maybe you know of a study; but simply calling him (LSI guy) bias with no prove etc is lame :thumbdn: Even yourself, elvis, could have some 'weighty' perspective since you deal with 800TB arrays ;) :thumbup:

10. led_blind

led_blind Member

sound like an end to this discussion....

Next...

11. Iceman

Iceman Member

All true, doesn't matter how much you pay, drives die.

One caveat to note: Any time you're reading about anyone (but especially "san vendor's") reporting on failed disks you need to keep in mind that the metric for a "failed disk" on say your windows desktop (reporting via SMART) is different to your SME ZFS array is different again to your enterprise array.

This is the crux of the article. Yes a drive might lose its marbles and then be fine. When you're paying a couple million for your SAN, it isn't worth trusting that drive any longer. When it's in your desktop and that $200 drive is 1/3rd the cost of your system and the cost of reinstalling is next to nothing, then it's worth continuing to trust it.

This, a hundred times this. I'm getting a bit of " This user is on your Ignore List." lately. Some people are no longer worth it.

12. Luke212

Luke212 Member

sas failed 0.01% per day
    sata failed 0.007% per day.

sas false failed 0.0045% per day
    sata false failed 0.0036% per day

it implies both types are similar. then he says sata is order of magnitude worse?! im with slate, this does not make sense to me.

13. OP
    OP
    tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

not sure how you arrived at that the figure in bold :confused:

maybe the statement re: SAS vs SATA is done with the fail rates minus the false fail rates? *shrug*