Family headshots

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Spacenoodle, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

So I tried something different this christmas, as part of my new years resolution to try different types of photography. Tried my hand at some headshots of the family over christmas.

It went ok for a first attempt, not entirely happy with the results, these are the better ones from the batch, I haven't pulled these in to Lightroom yet, but there is another one or two that I really liked and hope to salvage in LR. I really didn't want to do a white background as these photos are for print and I just hate the way white seamless looks in once printed.

The setup was 2 reflective umbrellas lighting a bedsheet (yep, ghetto but it seemed to work) either side behind model set at 1/64 power (since the room was absolutely tiny), with a small softbox high camera right at 1/8 power, and a reflector low left.

These were shot with a 50mm f1.2, and doing so made me wish I had an 85mm. But since I pretty much shoot exclusively video with this camera, I can't justify a 85mm.

Anyone who has some experience with this tell me how I can get a bit more depth in the light? like more defined jawlines while still having catchlight under the eyes I'd appreciate it. Thanks :)

[​IMG]
    Anna by Spacenoodle, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Shin-Ho by Spacenoodle, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Dick by Spacenoodle, on Flickr

2. dche5390

dche5390 Member

What the hell with the insanely narrow DoF? Why!!?! There's your problem.

3. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Too much bokeh imo. When you've got them posing for you in a controlled setting you should step down a little (f/3.5-f/8 depending on focal range).

Also not a big issue but WB varies between the shots.

4. Bashar

Bashar Member

The shallow DOF is kinda distracting

5. OP
    OP
    Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

Fair enough, I shot 2 rounds, one at 1.8 and at 5.6. The ones at 5.6 I liked less personally so I didn't post. Guess I should just stick with the others. Thanks for the feedback.

6. fnp

fnp Member

I don't know anything about photography and can't make any technical comments, but why does Dick look absolutely terrified :lol: Surely there was a better shot than that one?

7. OP
    OP
    Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

Ah yeah. Lung cancer sadly. He has trouble breathing and was struggling to pose for this one. He didn't want one with the oxygen in so this was the best I got.

8. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Generally it's best to shoot at or below the subject's eye level.

The neck isn't the most flattering especially in the first one.

Just add a stronger fill and it should look a lot better

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  9. OP
    OP
    Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

Thanks for the tip. Tried but I'm short so next time I'll find something to stand on. First attempted and since I've never done headshots before I kinda had no idea, which is why I posted here :)

10. vorg

vorg Member

As well as not having such a tight depth of field , try and use a longer lens , there is too much distortion that makes the noses look large .

11. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

A lot of that is likely just standing too close, looks like it was shot with a 50L.

12. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Shooting too close to subject with the 50mm. You're usually going to get at least half body with the FL at 50mm.

Shoot from Waist of the person in portrait, and keep your camera level with the horizon i.e. dont be pointing it up/down at the person. If the person is taller than you, jump on a chair :)

Like the others, the narrow depth is distracting. If you're strobing you should be around f8-f11, so power up the lights.

Your WB seems to vary between shots. Just set your WB instead of leaving it on AWB

Not much shadow in your head shots. Shadows define edges. So play with the position and modifiers of your lights. You don't always have to softbox.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  13. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Not much more to be said as the posts above have covered most of it.

For me:
    Standing too close
    Too narrow DoF
    Possibly overlit

As a test on these shots, look at them normally, then look at them squinting. You'll notice when squinting they come into focus more :)