Fan recommendation

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Plonkflopped, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

At the moment I am using some Corsair fans in this setup. Anything above 40-50% and they are obnoxiously loud.

Looking for advice on if I should get better fans and if so which ones if money is no object or just suck it up :tongue:

Attached Files:

2. Watchamacallit

Watchamacallit Member

Noctua or Artic imo

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Benching or regular day to day use? surely you could lock the fans at 50% and call it a day.

4. OP
    OP
    Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Gaming mainly when I get the chance. I am very susceptible to fan noise for whatever reason. I might just look them to 30-40% where I can't hear them and take the higher temps.

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I'm running my vardar 140mm fans at 40-50 percent and I'm more likely to hear the pump before the fans and that's with an open case that doesn't physically have sides or panels... and it sits on my desk next to me.

6. ging

ging Member

Yeah with Watchamacallit on this one, Noctua for best in class performance, or Arctic for similar performance at much cheaper prices:

I'm running Noctua NF-A12-25 PWM fans myself and at ~550 RPM with the side panel off they're almost silent (I'm pretty sensitive to noise as well).

Noctua *should* be releasing black versions of this fan during Q1 2021 according to their roadmap:

Noctua Roadmap 2021.png

Are your radiator fan speeds tied to water temp?
    If not, you might want to look into getting a water temp sensor to try and curb excessive fan noise when idle.

7. Watchamacallit

Watchamacallit Member

Similar to what ging said for the water, the other thing with fan noise is it's usually the ramping up/down that people are more sensitive too rather than the constant volume.

I lock my fans in steps to curb the adjustments. so while these might be bigger steps (so running higher than needed for a certain temp), I've minimised how often it'll change. Also requires knowing your system a bit on when to put those adjustments (say coolant varies 39 to 41C under gaming, I'd have a step at 38 and 43 so it's constant during that load)

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can vouch also for Artic fans. Ordered a few last year, pretty decent and quiet fans so far.

9. mojododo

mojododo Member

Nothing comes close to Gentle typhoons.
    Tried all of the "great" Noctua's over the time on radiators and case installs, and they only get annoyingly loud quickly. The GT's i have (1850rpm version) have a much different noise pitch when you do spin them up but are so silent and push a tonne of air.

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

I find the only real noise A12x25 make is the sound of turbulence of air hitting mesh, grills, radiators etc. That is louder than the actual motor itself. If you've used F12 then you should know that the F12 are the worst fans Noctua have ever made, even the OG S12 perform better on radiators than the F12, same with the 15mm slim A12x15, at the same noise levels, the F12 is the worst fan Noctua have ever made.

As for teh OP, maybe get some NB eLoops?