1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Far Cry 3

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Aug 20, 2010.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Thanks for the info, so my mates who said pfft your 120Hz sux my plasma is 700hz it's actually a 60Hz TV with some pretty effects eh

2. dARCKLOWN

dARCKLOWN Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can only have one 'package' of mods at once? Ive got the compilation 2.6 one loaded and its mostly great but because you are replacing the one file I cannot have multiple mods (say the gun realism one as well as the comp 2.6)?

Or have I missed something?

3. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll Member

You can have more but you'd have to compile them yourself

4. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Just finished the main story for this game the other day and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I still find myself returning to the game world to just mess with the enemies. Planting mines around an enemy outpost and then tipping them off to your presence only to watch them charge towards the mines (boom) is quite amusing :leet:

5. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

100Hz TVs do actually double the refresh rate from the PAL TV standard of 50Hz (ie. they run at double the mains frequency).
    But yeah... sets that boast "400Hz Super-Smooth Sports Scene Technology" and whatnot are usually just frame/field doubling because they're only being fed with a 50Hz or 60Hz signal.
    Better models use interpolation between frames to fill in the gaps somewhat, but this can sometimes produce artifacting and blurring so you get smoother motion but lower image quality.

Your 120Hz monitor actually appears much smoother and sharper in games because your GPU is capable of pumping out frames quicker than 60Hz, and the monitor can take advantage of that provided the GPU can keep up.

Anyway, glad you found it useful. Sorry for the OT guys.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  6. MyElbowFellOff

MyElbowFellOff Member

I'm gonna wait for the mod that makes it a survival sim.

Silenced shotgun would be awesome though. I can't be the only one who pretended they were Anton Chigurh in Far Cry 2 carrying the silenced shotgun while roaming around looking for briefcases with the tracker and killing everyone along the way.

7. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

This would be great, though the current compilation of mods already makes the game far more appealing to me.

You're not. That was my favourite weapon, so flexible. Well balanced by low range and limited magazine. :thumbup:

8. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I can't get into this game. I hate the crafting BS. And why the fuck can't I pick up bullets from enemies guns?? Wtf? And I used the hang glider once and now it's gone? From the Dr house? Lame.

Graphics are pretty ok. Can't wait to see what these far cry guys do with some real next gen consoles coming out.

Why the fuck do all characters have like a black halo around them? Am I in limbo or something? Wtf.

Can you get a 3rd person view on the cars or what? And what the hell is the key to pick up enemies guns??!

9. g00ny

g00ny Member

umm you automatically pick up the ammo if you walk over the guns .... and to pick up the guns hold 'e'

10. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll Member

Jesus H Christ.

So don't craft

You can

No, it comes back, just not straight away or if you stay too close to that area after you've already used it

No idea, unless you're on some easy difficulty level that shows those

No, the whole thing is in first person, thankfully

What's the key you're using to do and use everything else?

11. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

I hated the crafting stuff too. I'm 16 hours into the game and haven't crafted more than one or two items. It's just stupid.

The graphics are just shiny and colourful, other than that they're just plain bad.

Dunno about the black halo thing. Driver issue?

12. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

No it's def a thing. It's on the reviews too. For some reason they have strange black shadows around them. I guess it's to highlight characters, but it just looks stupid. What a waste of money! I mean one level was just supposed to be a drug trip on mushrooms. You don't do anything except stagger around a cave. It's fucking stupid.

I still quite like the graphics. I used to live on a tropical island so to me it looks very real.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  13. MyElbowFellOff

MyElbowFellOff Member

I think the black halo thing is the ambient occlusion (SSAO in the menu). Just change the algorithm it uses in the video settings, I can't remember which one causes it. Doesn't appear at all for me.

14. mick_champs

mick_champs Member

Spoiler alert!

I just killed Vaas, how much longer is left to go? Honestly I'm getting pretty bored of it... Not sure if I can be bothered playing it out.

Also why are the main battles taking place in a 'dream state'? (Buck, Vaas...)

15. Tazor

Tazor Member

you're a bit more than half way there. Don't give up though cos after Vaas you go to the second island which has more bad guys, a wing suit, better guns and I think 10 more story missions which are better than the south island's missions.

16. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

All that sounds completely awesome. I'm about to save Oliver, so approx. 1/3rd through?, but I'm getting a little tired of FC3.

Should I mod it up? Or continue with vanilla fc3 until i complete the game?

17. Jezmad

Jezmad Member

I'm not far in, but have crafted a heap.
    I'm not the biggest fan of crafting in games, especially FPS games, but it hasn't been too bad.
    Most of the needed skins have come from animals I've run across just doing the missions, rather than actively having to hunt them. Some I've literally run across knocking them over in vehicles.

18. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

So can you actually craft that is useful?

19. pugsley

pugsley Member

The only things i have really crafted are the pouches for toting more ammo/guns around. I had a dabble with syringes but found them gimmicky. Healing is the only ones i craft these days.

20. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

But can't you just heal anyway if you press Q?