Fashion Show - Results (Probably not 56K)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by TonyR, Jul 13, 2008.

1. TonyR

TonyR Member

Thanks to all who helped with advice on shooting a fashion show. Here's some of the pics. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

I ended up shooting at ISO 400, because I cocked up the flash settings early in the piece and the flash wasn't carrying far enough. Hence the grain. Next time I won't need to do that. All pics are straight out of the camera, except for cropping, resizing and the occasional red-eye removal.

In case anyone is interested, the show was run by Gallery Serpentine, the company owned by Annette, aka Mrs Agg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pezzy

pezzy Member

these would look even better if you had a consistent crop going on with a tad more background showing and models centered position. other than that i think you did an awesome job.

3. MWP

MWP Member

Was just about to say the same thing.
    Good job otherwise.

4. OP
    OP
    TonyR

TonyR Member

Thanks for the comments so far.

Ironic, isn't it? I cropped the pictures to get rid of the background because I thought it was distracting :rolleyes: The audience was very close to the runway in the distant shots and I got heads in the foreground of the shots at the near end of the runway.

I've put one more as my entry in the July IP comp. Taken after the show finished, I thought the girls looked ready to go out and party...

5. est

est Member

Nice pics! In a couple of the shots it looks like the flash/lighting was not strong enough against the dim lighting of the location, but other than that they all look pretty good.

Was this in one of their stores? I live around the corner from the Newtown store and it wouldn't surprise me if this was held there. I was in there the other week with a ladyfriend doing some shopping and the store seemed rather dark.

6. OP
    OP
    TonyR

TonyR Member

Thanks for the comments. I've got a new flash and messed up the settings at first and the flash didn't throw anywhere near far enough. Finally I realised it was set on a 7 degree down angle, used for close-ups. Duh!

The show was held at the School of Arts in Robertson, near the other store. Lighting wasn't bad, grain on pics due to operator error.

7. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

I think you need a faster long lens so then you can isolate your subjects from the background.

Did Agg strut his stuff on the runway?? :tongue:

8. OP
    OP
    TonyR

TonyR Member

I also need a larger bank balance. All donations gratefully accepted.

No. There were a couple of male models but Agg was home looking after kids, since Mrs Agg was organising the show.

9. AmB

AmB Member

10. fyrestorm

fyrestorm Member

4-7 are a nice series, the first few perspective change is a bit jarring. Great to see a fashion show with attractive clothes and models too :).

11. underskore

underskore Member

you should've chopped Agg onto the catwalk and tried to fool us all.

other than that, nice work :thumbup:

12. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Member

Love Gallery Serpentine designs! They are 90% of the time perfect...pity they cost so much, but its usually worth it. Trouble is you dare not ware the stuff unless you know you are going to keep it safe :sick:

13. undef

undef Member

so the light was shite and you had to flash?

Bad Mrs Agg, look after the togs will ya?

personally i would have tried cranking it to 800-1000 ISO at 2.8 (but that's cos I can) and then maybe manually setting the flash to intrude as little as possible

with my PP i can still run it full page in a mag and look good... anything bigger than that it'll be too grainy.

anyone else on your left cos you're off centre? Lie and say you're shooting for the designer you need to be centre. :D

have fun thought? and how you go with getting the rythem on the walks?