1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fast PCB Turnaround

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by h3x4d3c1m4t0r, Nov 8, 2006.

1. h3x4d3c1m4t0r

h3x4d3c1m4t0r Member

A friend of mine needs to produce a PCB for a uni assignment in a hurry and isn't sure where to submit the design. He needs a double-sided board with through-hole plating and solder-mask, but no silk-screen overlay is required.

He's hoping to get the boards as soon as possible. I think he'd like to have it on Monday, or the following Friday at the very latest (lives in Brizzy). I've suggested http://www.futurlec.com/ or http://www.batchpcb.com/. I think BatchPCB is out of the question because from memory they panelise the orders they have at the start of each week, which will take too long. Futurlec might be alright though. What are the sort of turnarounds people have seen from Futurlec?

He's not keen on ordering a full panel from a big manufacturer because he hasn't tested the schematic all that thoroughly.

Does anyone know have other ideas of somewhere that can make boards up to these specifications and get them shipped out pretty quick?

Thanks.

2. daveoverclock

daveoverclock Member

He could try BEC in Brisbane or Entech in Adelaide. They both produce good work quickly but you will pay for it. They can rush jobs in as little as 24hrs but expect to pay $1000+. Five days is more like $400.
    Dave

3. SavvyFx

SavvyFx Member

I had the same problem as you. I needed a PCB by next day for Uni assignment. I had to use a bread board in the end.

Good luck though, I'll watch this thread for future reference

4. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

http://www.4pcb.com/ maybe, depends how long it would take to ship

and the price will rise exponentially with how long it takes most places as well, especially for very low quantities

5. Sadow

Sadow Member

yeh $800+ fr 3 day turnaround

for 1day youd need to know a guy at the fab or pay like $1500+

6. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Sorry for the n00by intrusion.. but these places.. do you design your own PCB's and them submit plans of them and they whip it up for you?

Do you use computer programs of some sort to design them?

I havent done electronics since year 10 where we used to make them using a blue pen and acid (oh high school.. how simple life was back then). :lol:

7. nux

nux Member

Futurlec takes a few weeks to a month or more.
    BatchPCB is around the same in my experience.

You could DIY using a laser printer pretty easily, depending on the complexity of the board.

Yep, you basically like printing something. You send them the image (gerber files) and they 'print' it.

Protel and Eagle are two of the most popular programs to make the board designs. Theres a free version of Eagle too.

8. Sadow

Sadow Member

for the prices listed you design the pcb yourself and submit the designs to them. They just make the boards. You use software such as eagle(freeware i think) protel etc to design the boards.

There are places that will design the pcb aswell, but then your talking $3k+ even for a simple design.

9. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

To give you a bit of an idea what can be done, here is a design that I've done - http://mypage.tsn.cc/dakiller/dac1/ the design of it might be a bit overwhelming if you try and follow it but at least there is plenty of pictures of it. It is all done in Eagle Layout Editor which has a freeware version that only limits the end pcb size and the final pcb was made by BatchPCB.com for about $40AUD

I remember my first etched pcb in yr 9 at highschool, hand drawn with a marker on blank pcb, was a VU audio meter from dick smith

10. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Ahh.. cheers for that guys. :thumbup:

Your not wrong about it being overwhelming for me.. haha..

What exactly does it do?

EDIT: nevermind.. i just read the title of the page.. *slaps self* :rolleyes: :lol:

11. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I agree.

I don't see why professional through hole plating and solder mask would be required for a uni assignment. You can get away with simply soldering component lead offcuts through holes onto tracks on both sides.

12. wabbit

wabbit Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  13. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

14. nudge

nudge Member