1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Faulty or incompatible RAM?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by DarkSnipa, Feb 13, 2020.

1. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Hi guys I recently bought a kit of used G.Skill 4x8GB 4133C17 from ebay however I have trouble to confirm if the kits I have on hand are simply not working due to incompatibility or one of the sticks is faulty.

The issues I keep getting is when I attempt to get the kit to boot on my M10A or M11A they will almost always pop 55 or CC on the QCODE which indicate memory issues or incompatibility and this happens regardless of the order I put them in.

I then tried the kit on MSI Z390 Ace after a bit of workaround I can get them to POST and I tried a different BIOS but so far only 3 sticks will work at XMP with one always fail memory stress test after a while at XMP but I tried to stress the seemingly faulty stick on lower clock and timing with another compatible A2 PCB bdie kit it is showing no issues at all so I am not sure if there is other ways to validate the kit without buying a motherboard in the QVL.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. Groff

Groff Member

Was the seller a store or private.
    What was their rating?

3. OP
    OP
    DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Private seller on ebay with 100% positive feedback.

4. Groff

Groff Member

Do you still get 55 or CC with 1 stick?

5. OP
    OP
    DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Already tried 1 stick got the same issue I just get 55 or CC on my Apex boards.

Interestingly on my MSI board if I just use the 3733C16 or 3866C17 preset the 'problematic' stick does work perfectly fine but that is kinda worse than what is rated for and I do suspect this stick might not be faulty but rather degraded.

6. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

100% or no, private sellers of this sort of stuff are basically a no-no. Ratings on ebay are often inflated/artificial.

Did you do a compatibility report before buying it? PC Part Picker can do this.

You may need to request a refund, and prepare to raise a dispute.

7. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

send em back and get your money back
    buy new with warranty and keep your receipt
    check compatibility with your motherboard with your manufacturer before purchase

8. OP
    OP
    DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I thought about refund too but the seller gave me the original invoice as well so I thought maybe I should just try to RMA it with G.Skill and see how it goes? The worst part the seller is using an incompatible board (Asus M9H) too and he told me he could never get the kit to work at xmp he had to downclock to get it to work.

Nah, I bought it simply because it was very cheap and the bin is very good. I forgot the 4x8GB 4266C17 G.Skill kit is notorious for poor compatibility which maybe the same case with one...

I am at a crossroad right now, I can try to get the RMAed with G.Skill as seller is the original owner and gave me the invoice already or just talk to my seller to get a refund and the seller could just RMA his kit and get a new one in return though I will be losing out on the deal though...

9. Groff

Groff Member

The thing is you can have the best bin in the world but it means nothing if you can't use it. There's no guarantee that ram will work on your board even after an RMA.

I suppose it's not cheap if it can't be used unless you can sell it to someone who has a board which the ram is on its qvl.
    Even then there is the disclosure part which will devalue the sale even if there's possibly nothing wrong with the RAM.

Kudos to the seller. You took an informed risk and it didn't pay off. Would've been great if it came off.
    I suppose the best thing would be to rma it and if it still doesn't work you can have a good conscience that you are selling something that has been factory replaced so taking the possibility of faulty goods out of the picture so you can recoup your cost.

10. Sledge

Sledge Member

wonder if they're compatible with my mobo... GB Aorus x570 Pro wifi...
    How cheap are we talking?

11. OP
    OP
    DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

The seller only informed me about that after I bought it and asked about it as there is no mention of him using the kit under clocked in the listing.

I do not think they will it seems the kit is specially designed to work on recent high end ROG/Aorus boards with T topology only, I am not sure Gigabyte's X570 topology but I think Asus use daisy chain for their X570 which make running the kit more difficult.

12. Groff

Groff Member

Hmmm, so item not as described...

Sounds like this might be your course of action?

13. OP
    OP
    DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I have to agree on that part though I think there is no reason for the seller to do that as he could have just RMA the kit then sell the brand new replacement to recoup his cost back. I have looked all the modules closely and there is definitely no physical damage.

I am currently talking to another member to get a Maximus XI Extreme just to check the kit out, we shall see if one of the sticks is degraded like I suspected, I will definitely ask the seller for a partial refund if my suspicion turn out to be real.

14. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

You got the receipt, just rma it.

15. OP
    OP
    DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Does G.Skill allow one to RMA the kit when you are not the original owner? I only ever RMAed a memory kit with Team Group.

16. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Only way to know is to contact them.

17. Sledge

Sledge Member

Don't tell them you're not the original owner?

18. OP
    OP
    DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

The receipt is not a cash customer one :(

19. Sledge

Sledge Member

So use the other name when talking to them...
    Identity theft FTW ! :)
    And if the address is on there and wrong.. then you've moved house since ;)

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Right. Bugger them. I always thought it was a bit dodgy when companies say they won't warranty outside of the original owner.