Favour to ask re: local web page broken by Chrome update

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by callan, Sep 13, 2019.

1. callan

callan Member

Sorry to ask this, but I'm out of my league here.

My wife used a static web page to launch her bookmarks, and the latest Chrome update has buggered it (it works fine in Firefox, and worked fine until Chrome 76.0.3809.132.)
    What it should look like (cropped, Firefox), Vs what it looks like in Chrome.
    page-ok.png Page-broken.png

If someone could pull it down from Dropbox and have a quick look at it I'd be hugely grateful.. fred.html is the home HTML document.

Thanks.
    Callan

2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Honestly I tried to have a look but it's a nightmare of ancient machine-generated HTML and I can't stomach going through that awful rabbits nest of crappy markup. Probably faster to rebuild it.

3. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

Thanks for having a look, TheSeekerr - very much appreciated.
    I reached out as I could make neither head nor tail of the code, either: it looked like an explosion at the html factory THB....

Callan

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Code:
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">

Ewww.

It's a 10 second jobbie to pull the "<a href=URL>Description</a>" parts out of all the HTML files. The entire collection is 80MB of binary crap for around 180KB of text (99.78% wasted space!).

Can do if you want.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

I don't blame you: FP was the legitimate target of much derision. What's worse is that Frontpage was only the first of several different WYSIWYG kinda editors that have worked on it: it's the child of many fathers. Things could have been worse: I've seen PUBLISHED web pages exported from WORD........

If you could extract the links and img info out of the trainwreck that would help matters greatly:
    I agree: a ground up recreation is the only way with this one, and after about 20 years of life the poor links page deserves it.

FWIW in my hacking days I used to reverse-engineer 6502 pseudocode runtime interpreters and their "executables". This web page reminded me a bit of those days...

Callan

elvis likes this.
  6. elvis

Can do, however I'm AFK tonight. So if nobody else does it before hand, I'll have a crack tomorrow afternoon.

7. elvis

Done. PM inbound.

reunig and kombiman like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

Thanks, Elvis - I've pulled down the file now. Very much appreciated!

Callan

elvis likes this.