Ferroliquid

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by scotteee, Mar 26, 2013.

1. scotteee

scotteee Member

Hey Guys,

My Ferroliquid arrived today from the UK, for those who dont know, it is a magnetic liquid that does all sorts of amazing things when in contact with magnets.

I have alot of ideas for this liquid, I had a very quick shoot tonight to test it out and well, it's messy haha!

Hope i can get some fun and different images out of this stuff for all to enjoy :) sample shot below.

Whilst under a magnet it forms traingular shapes, due to the shapes of the small metal particles in the liquid and magnetic field formed around what ever bit of metal i place on my rare earth magnet.

The result is this cool effect, now to experiment this week and see what really cool images i can get :) this was just a trial run and proof of concept, stay tuned for hopefully some more interesting images :)

Scotty

[​IMG]
    Evil Snake / Magnetic Liquid by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Different!

I like it, is that PP to get the muted purple/blue look? I like the (almost) "sun star" on the item at the bottom of the page. This could be something Terminator 2-ish (Robert Patrick).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X_7trd94N...ZVdUQMxxgQ/s1600/Clip_atr_of_t-1000_torso.jpg

I dunno, i like the look of this picture. What are they, screws? Why do i like this picture?

Watch you background too, if this is the way your going to go you might end up focussing your attention on the magnetic items and loose site of having an acceptable background. In this case the table looks OK, but something to be warry of.

3. TwinII

TwinII Member

4. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Hey,

The PP i did on this was to go with the Theme of a competition on Ausphotography.net.au thats running this week, it's Monochrome enteries, so all my PP on these images this week will go along those lines, i have done PP without, which i'll get round to posting when i have some more interesting shots :) For this shot i placed about 9 screws onto the rare earth magnet, with points facing up, then dripped the Ferroliquid/Oil onto the tip until they formed what you see, then snapped away, was trying to find the best flash location :)

Hey Mate,

Just to make sure no one's confused sorry, i have the Oil version, it's defently not drinkable and for anyone getting this stuff, make sure you read the label!! :)

5. HeXa

HeXa Member

6. Zee

Zee Member

That's way cool!

I guess you don't want it in direct contact with a rare earth magnet, otherwise you'll never get it off...

Z...

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Apparently you can make your own with toner and vegetable oil?

8. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Yer ive been looking into making my own, as most of my liquid has ended up on me, the walls and everything but what i want it on ;)

9. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Well hectic day today at work, got home and attempted another quick shoot with this very messy, tricky fluid :p

Anyway my patience was tested hahaha, spilt so much tonight and i just couldn't nail the look i was going for. Long weekend is on it's way and hopefully i can relax and nail some good shots, hoping to get some in a glass jar and have some fun :p

[​IMG]
    watermarked-MagCity by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    watermarked-Magnetic Liquid Bolt by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

11. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Thanks Ryo :) it's a very interesting fluid thats for sure :thumbup:

That speaker is awesome!!! is that really just corn starch? thats amazing!! think i just found my next project ;) it would be a great effect with some paint mixed in and then photographing it :p

12. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

From what I know it's basically starch + water. Not sure if you need to cook it or not. But yeh it's another interesting liquid. :D

13. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Yer been reading up on it, seems easy enough, i've got a speaker setup for a project i'm doing soon with bouncing paint off a speaker, might mix the paint with the corn starch and then do the shoot, will be a bit different :) thanking you! :thumbup::leet:

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Looking forward to it. :thumbup::D

15. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

so that's what that liquid shit is in Smallville (the Black ship and the freaky liquid shit Brainac moves around as) and Prometheus (the shit the scientists touch).

it's freaky as. nice job!

16. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

It's very freaky in water with magnets moving it around ;)

I just did a proof of concept tonight, it defently looks awesomeeeee with the oil fluid running around the water chasing the magnets, although one slight hurdle...........I have come to the conclusion i need an assistant :p holding 2 x magnets, focusing, taking the shot and not breaking anything seems a bit hard on your own ;) so..... now to try and bribe the missus to help me move around the wierd black liquid and take shots of it, instead of being forced to watch gossip girl with her, easy choice really :D:Pirate::leet::thumbup:

17. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

18. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

19. Loop Goose

Loop Goose Member

I wonder what it would look like if you used one of those science lab stirrer things, where you place the beaker on the unit and drop the magnetic capsule in the liquid, and then turn it on and it creates a vortex to mix the solution.

If you had access to one of those machines, it would be interesting to see how the liquid would behave when you mixed it with some water and stirred it.

20. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I placed one "buckyball" / "Neosphere" into a 20ml vial and added a small drop of ferro-fluid into it. As expected it totally encapsulated the magnet but the result was a near frictionless ball which looked like it could "bounce" around the vial.

Another interesting effect was bringing another magnet in close from the opposite side and when the coated magnet suddenly became attracted and smashed into the glass vial wall it'd splatter the ferro fluid before absorbing it again.

I think I still have it at home. I'll grab some pics tonight.

Also Loop Goose. I'm currently working in a lab with access to magnetic stirrers, so I might give it a go. I only have a 100mL or so of ferro, so I won't go mixing it with water...

There is an interesting video on Vimeo where an artist has added ferro to a solution of detergent. Filmed under a macro lens you can see the ferro particles whizzing between the soap bubbles (magnetism controlled by electro-magnet).