Fibre 1000- how can I monetize spare capacity?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Phool, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Phool

Phool Member

Hi guys. I'm clueless.
    I'm moving my business and my choice for SLA internet is 50/50mbit for 400$ or 1000/1000 for 6-750/month. I think the fibre 1000 is TPG resold. TPG were 799, not budging, and claim if go direct "they would get a down link up as a priority in 1day vs 3days for any resellers".

I can apportion the link into I think multiple services. Eg direct to DC direct to cloud services.

I'm out of my depth with the connection possibilities and hope I can sell some spare capacity. I am currently suffering with borderline satisfactory upload capacity for crsshplan on ADSL 2 15mbps connect speeds. I have dual ADSL2 and 4g failover and upload about 3g a day. It maxed out the uplink and users complain. Overall though it works. In reality a 20/20 is all I would need "for me". It's the SLA for me that's important.

Anyways, new premises . fibre 1000. I reckon I can monetize 80% of the bandwidth. It's been suggested put in a rack, offer Colo into it and separate it from my stuff. Location is in my secure office space but no fire suppression, dedicatedcooling, no multiple network connection save 4g or consumer NBN backup, not an IT business .but if will be sealed in its own secure environment.

Is there a market for this? I could imagine a proportion of the fibre direct to cloud AWS or Google of a direct DC link which people could stick a storage server in the rack and send down backup data, or they could host traditionally a web server. But my imagination of useuse understanding of the tech is limited. I'm trying to choose provider and price. Sdwan has been suggested but costs are dearer.

Any advice guidance and newbie reading links greatly appreciated. "What can you imagine"

Thanks
    John

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Do you really want to be responsible for other peoples data?

Firstly you've got issues of what they might be doing with it.
    Secondly you've got issues of what happens when your link goes down for whatever reason.

That's ignoring any restrictions that might be in place from your provider about reselling the service.

mooboyj and NSanity like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Phool

Phool Member

This has been suggested as a good idea by more than 1 provider "white box partnering including commission on links/services purchased to reach the rack for users" . I will supply rack with ups, security and space. Of course only done with sanction of supplier. SLA on main link will be tight and fibre seems very reliable. Failover at much slower speeds to 2 separate carriers. UPS to rack. Redundant switches.

Fundamentally I don't want responsibility for others data. I don't want responsibility for link performance beyond what I have on my sla

4. Daemon

Daemon Member

Not even close to being worth it. To sell Internet you need a carrier license: https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Te...sing/carrier-licensing-guide-licensing-i-acma

Technically running colo you don't need a carrier license, but you will need an ASN to advertise the same IP's across multiple providers and for your upstream to provide BGP ... which they generally won't on business connections. NOBODY wants fallback to DSL, not ever for colo. Check your SLA too, I bet it won't cover provision of carriage services (ie colo). This is why it costs $500 but a true carrier link will cost you about 5k a month.

$100-200/RU for basic colo with 24/7 swipe card access, redundant power, generator backup BGP and 1Gbit is already available everywhere in SE QLD at the drop of a hat... so what would you be offering which is different?

Then consider insurance and all of the associated risks, you'll be spending a few thousand a year to cover this.

So basically, enjoy the high speed and find internal uses... but scrap the idea of services for others.

Matthew kane likes this.
  5. NSanity

NSanity Member

Good luck getting public IP's (from TPG anyway - if you have your own... you can do things) on a TPG Fibre1000 service.

Also keep in mind if you host for anyone - you are required to perform metadata retention.

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Re-selling the service without the explicit permission of the provider (e.g. TPG) is strictly against the terms of service:
    https://www.tpg.com.au/terms_conditions/standard
    See section 7.6 part d

Plus, all the things everyone else quoted.

Unless the supplier who is telling you this is TPG, this is not a 'good idea'. Plus, this is bad advice anyway for other reasons previously stated.

Top idea :thumbup:

7. bryn

bryn Member

the only feasible way of doing this would be to check with neighbouring business' and see if they want to share the link & the cost. Any decent IT provider can setup a router to give you both access securely & fairly (bandwidth wise).

8. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Which is re-selling the service which is explicitly forbidden in the ToS. Also puts the onus on the purchaser if the downstream tenant has any issues. Who ya gonna call? :p

9. koopz

koopz Member

as looktall said...

peer to peer traffic needs will become the norm in the future, though not now.

10. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

I have none of the problems with TPG that you have mentioned in the last few months.

I've got some IP's with them and never had a problem, can easily get more as well as the option of bringing our own ASN to the party.

They are happy to take money from you, ask for an account manager instead of being a reseller or facilitator of customer services.

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

I mean on the Fibre 1000 service. They were very reluctant. They kinda don't want people hosting shit on them.

We have an AM (i got a nice box of wine this year). He's not as good as the one we had before, but the other guy is pure gov now.

Doc-of-FC likes this.
  12. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

We got a box of 5 bottles, corporate gift policy mandates we wait till the new year to unscrew the tops.

I said to our AM, I'll buy office wave from each of our DC colo's to our head office and run path diverse fibre 1000 services if he doesn't give me good pricing on unlimited 1g in our colo's.

Let's just say he'll be sharpening his pencil once he's back in the new year.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  13. NSanity

NSanity Member

Yeah we have some things we want to host in a DC - Its a really really hard decision to do that when I need to watch 3-4k/month disappear for the privilege.

14. dyde

dyde Member

Curious what sort of IP address have you found are hard to obtain on Fibre1000?

Can’t say I have ever ordered anything big, but /29 and /28 I haven’t ever had an issue with.

15. timsarg

timsarg Member

i logged into our portal and requested extra ip's, got a response in 5 minutes and had the extra ip's within 24hours .

/29 btw

16. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

/29 or /28 is drop box option.
    More than that the client needs to provide reasons to qualify APNIC requirements. Though some ISP flaunt this requirement.

NSanity likes this.
  17. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Hang on, Gavin from White Box?

18. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I’m sure this was rejected lol

NSanity likes this.
  19. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Pretty much this, co-lo can be done much better and cheaper by business much bigger than you these days. With SLAs, secure access, staffed 24x7, testing, etc too.
    Not to mention people can just spin up virtual boxes in the cloud these days.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  20. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

No fibre 400 there?

JSmith