1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

FIFA 15 on PC

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by P00peyes, Oct 9, 2014.

1. P00peyes

P00peyes Member

Traditionally this has always been a franchise that I would play on console (ps3) but I made the mistake of downloading the playable demo on PC.

I'm now torn between which platform I will purchase the game for. I've made a list of pro's and con's for each platform. Help me make up my mind.

PC

Pro's - Crisp detail, 2560/1440p resolution, frame rates exceeding 60FPS, super fast loading times.

Con's - Playing at my computer desk instead of the comfort of my lounge, amount of players online (not sure but I feel like the console servers would have a much larger player base, thus limiting my online experience).

PS3

Pro's - Comfortable gaming in my lounge, couple of my friends already own the game on this platform.

Con's - Graphic detail, resolution (720p?, 1080p?), missing content (omitted animations etc...), slow loading times, low FPS (30?)

PS4/XBOX 1

Pro's - Lounge room gaming, Graphic detail, full content etc...

Con's - Resolution (1080p max), limited FPS (60 ?), gameplay doesn't seem as smooth as PC (from comparison videos I've seen), I don't own either of these consoles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bbTnH_CUc

Does anyone else have any other input? I need help in my decision.

If the PC and consoles ran from the same universal multi-platform server I'd definitely go with the pc version. This however I'm assuming isn't the case.

2. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Honestly id go console - to me anyway Fifa is always enjoyed the most when its you and a few mates playing all sitting around on the couch with some beers - definitely a social game and that aspect would be lost on PC i reckon.

Id get it on which ever gen of console you have, if you got the newer one do it

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The question is why haven't you already run a HDMI cable to your TV? :confused:

Thats what I do, then you also purchase a $45 USB to ethernet so you can run your controllers if the wireless wouldn't normally reach.

4 player FIFA 15 on the couch that actually looks good.

Steam in home streaming might also work if you have a HTPC or similar near your TV.

4. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

My main gaming computer is in a separate room to the lounge room. I have thought about steam streaming but in an action paced game I'd be concerned with local network input lag coming into play.

I've now played the demo on both the pc and the ps3 and the difference is staggering in terms of graphics quality, responsiveness and loading times all in favour of the pc.

Currently thinking about how much money I would have to spend on my HTPC to bring it up to today's gaming standards... Not sure it's possible as it's an old Q6600 :Paranoid:

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Separate room is easy. HDMI cables easily go to 20M without a booster and a USB to ethernet conveter costs very little which allows USB over long distances.

I would figure out how to set it up for your TV, you are never going to have a high end machine in that HTPC.

Steam also does very well for lag, I would give it a try.

6. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

I'll try out steam home streaming now using the playable demo I have.

Will post results a little later.

Question is though if I do buy the game on PC, how many players am I likely to see online in comparison to consoles? This is the other thing that frightens me.

Edit:

Steam streaming works well enough for a couple of the games I tried. However, I'm not able to get FIFA working through steam streaming. Possibly because it's a non-steam game. And it never will be. Thanks EA/Origin

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

There is normally a workaround, I think FIFA uses two separate exe's (one for menu, one for game) so you might have to select the other exe in your custom game list.

If that fails, try adding Origin to your custom game list instead of FIFA itself, it should work. I've had all sorts of things working via streaming, even emulators.

The previous FIFA games had plenty of players. I would still recommend a HDMI connection.

8. TheImp

TheImp Member

Will you be playing online, or against the CPU mostly? I have it on both. Don't forget to factor in PS+ if you want to play online on a sony console.

9. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

I'll be playing mostly online. Is PS + a necessity to play online? I've not even heard about it until recently... I think I'm leaning towards getting it on PC, the only thing that worries me is that there'll be bugger all people online or that the PC version will die off quickly.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  10. smoothunit

smoothunit Member

I've done exactly this. I use 2 wireless xbox controllers which work well even from 5 metres to the PC.

Its about as much hassle as waiting for the PS4 to boot up, update, restart so all good.

11. TheImp

TheImp Member

Yep, you need PS+ to play online. I generally play on my PC. If you find yourself getting the PC version let me know. Always keen to play a bit more.

12. Lithiumz

Lithiumz Member

Origin: Lithium2g

Add me if you want to play multiplayer!

13. warrenr

warrenr Member

anyone here still play 15 on pc? I'm about ready to throw it out - I cant seem to make it work under windows 10 :( can anyone confirm that its actually compatible? I'm running 6970 crossfire

14. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

I don't play 15 anymore - didn't think anybody was, lol. I moved to XB1 for FIFA16. Only benefit I found was more players online.

Will get FIFA 17 on PC again...

15. warrenr

warrenr Member

Just realised its over 2 years old :p. The killer is my kid wants to play (local coop) but it doesn't work??? Might have to revert to an old xp machine or something