1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Fig & Blueberry crumble

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by kingjam, May 29, 2010.

1. kingjam

kingjam Member

Felt like something sweet after dinner tonight - quick and easy desert. I used some really ripe figs and a punnet of blueberries that were in the fridge. You could use pretty much any stonefruit or berry lying around.

Chop the fig roughly and into a ramekin,

Click to view full size!

Fill the remainder with blueberries

Click to view full size!

The crumble is easy - some plain flour, brown sugar, rolled oats and some cold butter cubed.
    Rub the mixture together with your fingers until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.

Click to view full size!

Put the crumble mix on top - some like it thick, others a little more sparingly.

Click to view full size!

Into a preheated 180 oven until the crust is crunchy and the fruit is bubbling well. You may need to cover them with foil part way through to stop it burning.

Click to view full size!

Serve with a little cream, ice cream or as I did tonight - some bush honey yoghurt.

Click to view full size!

Warning - contents are of a similar temperature to the sun.

2. doug81

doug81 Member

nice one for winter nights!

although, don't cover it with foil. just drop the temp to 160 and leave it a bit longer :thumbup:

3. death

death Member

Looks good, I just had a rhubarb one from the cafe yesterday and was going to look up a recipe then you posted this :D

I've got some frozen berries and I will buy some figs and try this out.
    I assume it was around 20-25min in the oven?

EDIT: Mines in the oven now :D they didn't have figs so I just used a ripe pear.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    kingjam

kingjam Member

That'd work :thumbup:

I love a rhubarb crumble - unfortunately they didn't have any yesterday. Pears would work nicely I'd reckon. And as you would know by now - 20 minutes or so will do the trick ;)

5. death

death Member

mine just came out and i ate it

The crumble did not really brown though it was def ready to eat.
    Quite tasty. Yes the pear was nice.

The crumble sort of sunk in like yours, perhaps we have the wrong ratio of ingredients?
    The one i had at the cafe the crumble sat nicely on top and was browned.

I put mine in at 160 for like 20min, it didn't brown so I cranked it to 220 for another 15-20, still didn't brown.
    Maybe my oven is shit (it is a very very old oven).

I want to try and make it healthier though for next time, is there a way to make the crumble without butter and sugar?

Finally found a good use for my frozen berries :D

EDIT: Just realised it would work better as breakfast, no crumble just this mix and add it on top of porridge mmmm :D might do that wed morning when i have more time.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    kingjam

kingjam Member

There are heaps of recipes online for the crumble mix, but I just sort of go by feel. I always found they were too much flour.The general principle is 1:1:2 (butter:sugar:flour). I do like adding the oats for a bit more crunch. I like it sunken :)

Don't think so - then it wouldn't be crumble :D
    I guess you could toast some muesli or something like that and top the cooked fruit for a healthier option.

Spot on - easy to have a couple of boxes of frozen berries in the freezer, you can whip up a desert at the drop of a hat.

Re breakfast - essentially you're just stewing fruit with the crumble. Take whatever fruit you want and cook it over medium heat until it gets to the consistency you like. Makes an excellent brekkie with cereal, yoghurt or just by itself.

When plums are in season I'll go get as many varieties as I can find and stew up a batch of them - awesome. Rhubarb with a couple of apples thrown in is another favourite.
    Or even just apples, with some sultanas. Depending on the fruit you use, a couple of teaspoons of sugar goes in with the fruit and a splash of water.

7. ApathyGates

ApathyGates Member

lol :D

On a side note, using the lower temp, covering with alfoil is good, then use a small flamethrower to crisp up the top.

Booyah.

P.S. I'm making this next weekend. Wish I saw it yesterday.

8. death

death Member

good suggestions thanks for that.

I now have some ideas for breakky :D

How long approx does it take to stew rhubarb?

9. OP
    OP
    kingjam

kingjam Member

Not long at all.

Trim up a bunch, remove the leaves obviously.
    Cut it up into pieces a couple of inches long, core and slice a couple of granny smiths.
    Into a pot with a splash of water and a tablespoon of sugar.

20 minutes or so later you're good. I like it tart so adjust the sugar as you see fit.

Will keep for a while or freeze some for later :) if it lasts that long.