1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Filament dry/hot box containers

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by tumutbound, Jan 14, 2022.

1. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I've done a quick, possibly faulty, search for this topic but didn't get any hits.

I want to build a hot/dry box (either will do) for holding a single reel of filament - don't have the space for a bigger box and multiple reels.
    I can find lots of 'how to' videos but the ones for single filament are using containers I can't find here.
    I've been through KMart and BigW looking at sealable containers they sell but nothing the right size. Closest are cereal storage ones, right shape and dimensions but they all have an indented section at the back for a handle which makes them unsuitable.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Looking more towards a dry box at thsi stage (just desiccant) rather than a heated one.
    I don't have the facilities to make one from, say, acrylic sheet.

I have ordered some of these containers from Cubic but something to leave the filaments in while printing is preferred

2. kbekus

kbekus Member

Bunnings have IP rated waterproof boxes that I know people use for filament storage. Just chuck some desiccant in the bottom. And drill a small hole somewhere for the filament to route out.

3. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

The only IP rated ones I can see at Bunnings are too big, minumum they have is 18 litre, nearly 300mm cube. Size needed is (about) 220x220x100.

4. kbekus

kbekus Member

Yeah, righto, sorry, the folks in the Voron Aus discord channel just live with the larger size, even for a single spool.

5. kbekus

kbekus Member

6. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

That's the right size but I'd have to work out how to use it with the smallest dimension down i.e. on it's side.
    I can only have one container and it really needs to be with a vertical oriantation - this one looks OK. Enough height to allow for some rollers under the reel.

I can multiple of these and store them in a cupboard and bring them out when needed but wher the printer(s) are, just no room.

7. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

I ended up getting a tub from Bunnings, putting foam tape around the lid, and making rollers for the 4 rolls that fit (along with feed holes with some bowden fittings and old bowden tube). I know you're looking for smaller, surely there's something out there. Think theres an IKEA one that's popular. The one you've linked could work. Take an empty spool with you and double check.

As for storage away from the drybox, I've got mine in vacuum bags with a dessicant packet, inside Celebrations tubs (the chocolates). Perfect fit for my eSun spools. A Sunlu Filadryer is handy for sorting out misbehaving filament due to moisture too. Fairly cheap and would probably suit your needs.

8. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I remembered to take an empty reel to BigW today! No Ikea in Tassie and minimum freight is $39.

I've got a dehumidifier that does a pretty good job of drying filament although it needs to be hotter so I've ordered a PID controller for it.
    As I mentioned, I've ordered some storage container from Cubic, silca gel has been ordered. I also have a vacuum sealer (for sous vide cooking) and that will do the job for long term storage if needed, just need to order some larger bags.

EDIT: I have found what looks like a suitable candidate at Ikea - depends how much of a taper from top top bottom and size at base. Shipping is cheaper than last time I checked but still $30 to southern Tassie

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  9. Current

Current Member

are you handy on the tools ??

perhaps make a vacuum chamber

10. Ck21

Ck21 Member

search on ebay, there is a heap of generics based of the sunlu heated box for $90 with free postage, i got the Sovol filament dryer box, mini review/guide to filament storage options, inculding DIY on all3dp.com.

11. Defyant

Defyant Member

This works for us but with well over 100 spools this is a job unto itself. All from Bunno's containers inserts and moister absorber. We now get the later off amazon in bulk.
    A couple of companion sunlu dryers for those rolls we forget to put away. We change the absorber every couple of weeks but that will stop as the weather warms and drys.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    tumutbound and Ck21 like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
    This is literally all the space I have to work in, This is the lounge room, it's a 1 bedroom unit so limited storage space.
    image.jpg
    Enough (just) space for a single reel dry box.
    I have room in the wardrobe to store filament in these containers - off -line storage if you like :)
    It might be possible to add a shelf to the wall but the landlord might not agree, plus it would be quite high off the ground, top of the Hevort printer is at 1900mm. I'll probably keep the Ender 5 when the Hevort is completed. Grey cupboard to the right of the tool chest is full of unopened filament.

Defyant likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I've bought some of these for vacuum storage plus I have a food vacuum sealer and large enough bags to seal filament long term if required.
    I used to do some fabrication but got rid of the tools when I downsized a couple of years ago :mad:

14. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

After the Lotto win perhaps :)
    That's a great set-up.

15. Current

Current Member

120 bucks each, what the fuck >?

i'm sure the one in the video could be made for much less :/ and probably a lot stronger as well. and able to be scaled to whatever size you wanted.

16. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

It's a $120 for 5 (plus the hand pump)

These Sistema ones (posted earlier by kbekus) would be great if I could source a suiltable valve to install in the top. These sort of valves are good but only for plastic bags.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  17. Defyant

Defyant Member

That's a sexy setup ! how small does the 5 look next to the Hev :shock:

18. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Printdry containers arrived today!
    They seem well made out of polycarbonate, apparently the early ones were a lot more flexible material and prone to collapse.
    Hand pump works well enough to give the necessary vacuum.
    IMG_20220120_140020.jpg

I also received a PID controller so now I have to modify the de-humidifier
    EDIT: Not the PID controller but a 1Kg bag of silica gel.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  19. mtma

mtma Member

I find the choice of barrier material a bit suspect, PC is pretty permeable.

20. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Received the PID controller today so started to gut the de-dehydrator. Need to get a case for the PID before I can go much further (road trip to Jaycar tomorrow)
    Currently it has a thermostat and a thermal fuse. The fuse will stay but the thermostat will need to be disabled.
    Clamied power is 250W,
    IMG_20220124_175355.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022