File Server Build

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by ABEIQ, Jul 24, 2013.

1. ABEIQ

ABEIQ Member

Hi Guys, First build log?

A long time ago, i ordered a dell Perc 5i with the intent of putting it in my gaming machine and using a couple of drives in raid 5 for redundancy, and a few more drives in raid 0 to run them as individual drives, long story short, i realized that the amount of drives i would like to have DEFINITELY wouldn't fit into my Corsair 650D case :Pirate:

So begun my search for cheap hardware .. from work :p. I scrounged through second hand parts and found a Gigabyte G41 Combo board, with 6GB DDR3 RAM, and an Intel E7500 i had laying around. This met my requirements until i found a IBM BR10I on eBay for $40 Shipped!

So begun my search for a new board With 2X PCI-E 16 :D, and back to work i went where i found a Gigabyte 790XT-UDP4 with an AMD X2 255 Chip .. to which i then found some DDR3 Sticks and slapped 8GB on the
    board.

At the moment used for media streaming via plex, as well as "acquiring" media :Pirate:, and conversion of media for tablets and smartphones for when im on the go.

Eventually i intend on using this as a seed box for lan events etc, although it isn't anything special for the moment

Still Waiting For another SFF 8087 To SATA Cable to come, but in the mean time i have drives connected to the mobo as it has 8 sata ports.

Now that I'm done with my long story, down to the parts and future parts;

Current

• 790XT UDP4 Motherboard
    • AMD X2 255 CPU
    • 8GB DDR3
    • IBM BR10I (Soon To Be Flashed To IT Mode)
    • DELL Perc 5I
    • 6 X 500GB 2.5" Hard Drives
    • 3 X 2TB WD Hard Drives
    • 2 X 500GB WD Hard Drives
    • 1 X 60GB Kingston SSD-Now Boot Drive
    • Misc Fans
    • Crappy Graphics Card To Get The Job Done
    • Antec P183 V3

Future
    • FlexRaid Snapshot + Pooling
    • 8-12 X 3TB Drives
    • Removal Of The BR10I Replaced With An IBM M1015 :D
    • 16GB RAM
    • 10GBE Card
    • 10GBE Switch

A Few Images

Case
    [​IMG]

Perc 5I
    [​IMG]

BR10I
    [​IMG]

Custom Mount For 2.5" Drives
    [​IMG]

3X2TB + 1X500GB Drives On BR10I In basement Compartment
    [​IMG]

Cabling
    [​IMG]

Card All In Place
    [​IMG]

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

amd rigs are always good for file serving boxes no pcie compatibility issues and they're cheap, you can get away with an fm2 these days, 8 onboard sata3 +2x 8x full length slots :D

10 gig, not bad :D

any redundancy or performance configurations for the disks?

3. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Maybe time for newer OS with ZFS or windows based.

4. Peasey

Peasey Member

Just a bit of advice about flexraid and plex. The way flexraids file system works means that plex cannot update the library without doing a deep scan everytime. There are ways around it but its just a pain.

5. OP
    OP
    ABEIQ

ABEIQ Member

Exactly, they're ridiculously cheap for what they are, with that said, i got the board chip and ram for free :p. If i was going to buy anything, I'd probably go for the best price at the time ... so AMD again.

At the moment I'm running Redundancy, 2X500GB in RAID 1 for all my important data, as well as 3X500GB in RAID 5 just because its what i felt like messing with, although i might add Two of these drives to the RAID 1 and remove the RAID 5

For now I'm just running windows 7, as its nothing spectacular I'm trying to achieve, and ill probably get FlexRaid on top of it for pooling and redundancy, but i have been thinking of some sort of RAID-Z setup, any recommendations?

6. OP
    OP
    ABEIQ

ABEIQ Member

Really? thats a little crappy :/. what would you suggest then as an alternative to flexraid? :D

7. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Best simple 'pool' option I've used (and currently using on one of my systems) is Drive Bender. Add/Remove any drive you want to the pool, just be sure to read the manual beforehand cause I find it quite specific in what you want it to do. Also add drives together without any loss of data which is neat.

8. OP
    OP
    ABEIQ

ABEIQ Member

What sort of redundancy does it provide?

9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

None, it's just pooling software

10. MAdMungo

MAdMungo Member

Actually it dose has a very basic form of redundancy. Description from the Drive Bender Features page:

I have been using it an my server and haven't had any problems yet. It is just getting better and better.

11. OP
    OP
    ABEIQ

ABEIQ Member

Thats why i was looking into FlexRaid because it has pooling and redundancy

just gets better and better? whats the cost of drive bender, and how does it fair against Flexraid Or Unraid?

12. Grvm

Grvm (Banned or Deleted)

Bit pointless with 10gb on that CPU, not enough grunt by far

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

If it's just serving files, it might be enough, but even if it isn't it's still better than having a quad gig solution <:

14. OP
    OP
    ABEIQ

ABEIQ Member

I know its not a power house, but as terrastrife said its still better than quad gig :D

15. Grvm

Grvm (Banned or Deleted)

Not exactly, 5x the cost for almost the same performance (that many drives with that CPU will be lucky to push past the 500MB/s

16. peter10001

peter10001 Member

Nas4free with zfs is also a possibility.
    Zfs can repair on the fly bad sectors.

17. OP
    OP
    ABEIQ

ABEIQ Member

What if an entire drive fails?

18. frenchfries

frenchfries Member

This is a little misleading. I think you were referring to the ability to reconstruct data (blocks) on the fly by way of checksums in a redundant Zpool. ZFS cannot repair bad sectors as they are a physical problem.

19. Oblique

Oblique Member

Have you thought about using FreeNAS OS? I'm currently in the process of building something very similar and I've found this OS has plugins for everything I need (Plex, Sabnzb etc). It also has RAID-Z capabilities.

20. shadowman

shadowman Member

Also have a look at unRaid or SnapRaid for a purely file server build.

I was going down the path of unRaid, but ended up choosing SnapRaid (RAID 6, build still to be finished) because of a few reasons:

• It's free - unRaid, for more than 6 drives (I'm using 8 with an option to expand to 12) costs around $120
    • It has pooling
    • Cross-platform; I can recover my linux install in Windows
    • Can recover bad sectors via redundancy
    • Lower requirements for hardware = cheaper hardware or the ability to do more with your hardware

I haven't started the build yet, but just thought I'd throw this option out there.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013