File Share / Firewall Issue

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by [AFX]Northy, Jun 28, 2019.

1. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

Hi All,

We have a customer who needs to access files for a specific application across several un-trusted domains. Due to the lack of trust their cyber policy does not allow for SMB shares between networks. I'm trying to find some way of presenting the network share across the various networks. The files need read/write access and due to the nature of the files we are not able to use any kind of replication.

any ideas?

2. power

power Member

They "need access to files" and the "files need read/write access".

which is it? do the files need the access or do the users or an application need access to the files.

3. OP
    OP
    [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

Sorry should have been more clear. The users will run an application that accesses the files.

4. samus

samus Member

webdav? should be able to share files over 443 or 80 if you are desperate and then map the share with provided credentials. Application will probably be slower than a wet week, but i don't know if thats a concern.

5. power

power Member

so the application accesses the files, not the users.

is it a database?

6. OP
    OP
    [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

I did think about this but the speed or lack there of would be an issue.

7. samus

samus Member

I assume you are in a windows network, so giving it a go to test would only take minutes with iis and go. If you can't replicate, NFS publishing may help, but you have the same issues over a wan.

Otherwise remote desktop services, if it is only for a single application you could just publish that. I image if you had a citrix/vmwareview/etc you would have already leveraged that.

8. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

That's my thought too; publishing the App from inside the trusted zone would solve the access issue.