Files Servers info and pics, raid setups aswell

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Cycle86, Jul 5, 2007.

1. The_Derro

The_Derro Member

New servers for video streaming at work..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's 24 x 500gb SATA drives (12Tb)
    2 x Dual Core 3.2ghz Xeons
    3.5gb ram
    200gb boot drive.
    8 x Gigabit network ports.

It's a custom Linux based on Redhat 7.3 (YES.. old 7.3!)

This is the storage vault for a video streaming solution. We have two of these in the lab.

The storage performs a kind of raid5, but it actually replicates data against the other devices in the network.

Can anyone beat this beast? :)

The Streaming devices are similar hardware, but have 16gb of ram and 16 x 72gb SCSI disks and 14 gig ports. These devices are designed to stream out HD quality movies. The streamer will do 750 SD quality streams at once.

The 'vault' (bigass server above) can store 6000 hours of SD quality movie.. but only 1500 hours of HD.

EDIT: Actually.. it's meant to have 8gig of memory, but Linux is only seeing 3.5gb.. I think I might have a problem with her :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  2. TMM

TMM Member

For torrents and file serving there is more or less no difference in speed and performance (still limited by hardware, and i run utorrent under wine anyway since i like its WebUI :p). XP SP2 has a limit of 10 concurrent TCP connections iirc, which will limit your torrent performance, but it's easy to patch to get around that.

Other then that linux is more secure (not that you need it behind a router with stealthed ports) and there are some distros that you could get away with running on a very low spec comp. That said, you can strip down XP nicely with nlite and have it run well on a low spec comp too.

3. MeTaLliCnx

MeTaLliCnx New Member

*drools

I want one but for FREE! :lol: :D

4. The_Derro

The_Derro Member

That's the best part.. they were FREE!

Well.. at some point someone paid for it.. but it certainly wasn't me, and I'm the one who get's to play with it.

Currently we've only got a single 800mb sample movie on it.. 23.2Tb of free space :)

5. Lodion

Lodion Member

Almost... XP SP2 has a limit of 10 HALF-OPEN TCP connections. ie a SYN has been sent by your PC, but not yet received the corresponding SYN-ACK. You can have a huge number of open TCP connections in an established state :)

My fileserver runs linux (Debian Etch). Simply because I run a bunch of other services on it, and in my experience linux has lower resource use, and is more stable/reliable.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  6. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

nice pics guys.

but think about linking rather than using image tags.
    a 2048x1536 image is more than a joke

7. ltd73

ltd73 Member

look like Cisco Content Delivery Engines?
    (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7126/products_data_sheet0900aecd8057f446.html)
    i have some of the prototypes in MY lab. :)

cheers.

8. oli

oli Member

I'm sure plenty of people can once everyone posts gear that belongs to their work. :p

9. The_Derro

The_Derro Member

10. Sumomaniac

Sumomaniac Member

The_Derro, go and have a look in Enterprise Computing.

Shrinkage will be imminent

Cheers
    Sumo

11. The_Derro

The_Derro Member

I do recall a 'pics of enterprise hardware' thread, but couldn't find it.. so posted in this one :)

What I find cool about the system above, is that prior to being acquired by Cisco, it was essentially off the shelf hardware. The guys from the old company have told stories about customer site equipment failing, and they'd drive half way across the US, go to the local PC store and buy the replacement parts and then install.

The newer hardware is a bit different - but those pics are of the original hardware in all it's dodgy glory. Sure, it's still a manufacturer built system, but it's basically just a PC with a crapload of hard drives, network cards and as much ram as they could pack in :D

12. OP
    OP
    Cycle86

Cycle86 Member

bump bump bump :)

13. OP
    OP
    Cycle86

Cycle86 Member

hmm...forgot about this thread

14. Zyklone

Zyklone Member