Film companies sue iiNet 'for allowing piracy'

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Asgaldh, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Asgaldh

Asgaldh (Banned or Deleted)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technolo...net-in-the-dock/2008/11/20/1226770617457.html

Apparently the influence of media companies suing ISPs from Europe and the States have finally reached our shores...

2. AzzKikr

AzzKikr Member

*sniffs the air*

I smell a beat-up in the works. Hopefully the judge realises this for what it is, and tosses it out on it's arse.

-A.

3. Pugs

Pugs Member

did the overseas cases get tossed out ??? if not maybe it is on.....

4. csimpson

csimpson Member

5. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Oh oh :Paranoid:

To expand: my understanding is that australia has largely been immune to these tactics and this type of litigation. Did we just lose our innocence by having our entertainment industry lawsuit cherries popped?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  6. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Big bullies vs someone who isn't the offender.

It's the same story over and over again. It just amazes me that with the amount of money they're spending to "fight" piracy (those using the pirate services and distributing, not committing the actual initial infringement and "seeding") - that they haven't thought "oh, hang on a second - why don't we invest some of this money into providing a more modern service and better quality products".

Aside from the fact that most movies released today are absolute rubbish (I've seen about 3-4 movies in the past year, and only ones I KNEW would be alright) - that DVDs are now plastered in MINUTES of advertising and anti-piracy slogans before you can even watch the movie - and that all media items are priced well above their perceived value by the general population...

I mean - what do they expect?

I really hope iiNet (my ISP) use Australia's laws to their fullest so that these media giants can get a bit of a slap in the face. I doubt they'll ever realise the "path" to reducing piracy or *improving* their market share - but hey, a small wakeup smack might get some brain cells working... maybe...

Hrmm let's see...

I Am Legend - Rubbish. I wouldn't even waste my time to download this.
    Happy Feet - Kids film, no interest to me.
    American Gangster - Not interesting to me.

Heroes - Rubbish.
    Family Guy - Used to be good, now a bit so-so. We don't even get this on FTA TV in Aus?
    The Simpsons - Same as above. It is on crack now. Story has become way too stupid. How many seasons are we behind america again?
    Prison Break - Rubbish.

7. Pugs

Pugs Member

see guys* serves you right for downloading such stuff.....

* just a a very big wide encompassing all those that use Illegal downloads.. not directed to anyone particular person....

8. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Why iinet? surely telstra have the most customers thus equalling more illegal downloads? or do all the illegal downloaders flock to iinet and TGP..

Personally i agree with this statement:

I thought music was worse, but i guess not:

9. Pugs

Pugs Member

surely bigger /cheaper quotas would attract such people DM....

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Never tried to bittorrent from a telstra IP have you? (bigpond = charges for uploads = no seeding = not welcome in the p2p world lol)

Err... not that i have either :Paranoid:

11. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

What's the go here? Does Telstra throttle bittorrent traffic? :confused:

12. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Even joe6pack on a 2gb plan would be prone to download a movie or mp3 illegally.

13. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Just a very expensive enterprise as every kb you up comes off the month's allowance. Also i think lots of users block users with a bigpond IP (because they're notoriously poor seeders lol).

14. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Anyone familar with the "US Free trade agreement?" based on what they are saying, this case shouldn't haven't anything to stand on if the immunity for ISP's stands.

Will be interesting to see what the IIA does..

15. OP
    OP
    Asgaldh

Telstra's broadband is overpriced, you dont get the value for money...

I'm also wondering why they didnt begin with companies like Internode, the company with the biggest user group; or TPG who got the best value for money plans out there on the market...

16. khangu

khangu Member

No they don't, but they count uploads in their quota, so people who torrent would not go to Telstra because of that. Torrents works best when you upload as well.

17. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

If they are suing iinet for allowing piracy they should be suing every ISP in Australia period.

18. Pugs

Pugs Member

true where as we know it is their fault to start with for ripping us off at the box office/ dvd store....

19. OP
    OP
    Asgaldh

totally agree... since movies and tv shows get a lot of money from ads, maybe they should provide free movie downloads, but instead of have all these ads and anti-piracy craps before the movie or show even begin, they should have like while watching them an ad would pop up on the bottom of the screen...

20. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

iiNet naked DSL plans are like this, also AFAIK.

Anyway, I think this whole "issue" has been covered many times before. I'm sure pretty much every member on this site is aware of *some* of the complex reasons surrounding piracy and its relationship to P2P networks/protocols, bittorrent or otherwise.

So yeah - I hope iiNet stick the aussie law's boot where it counts. Give the media companies something to ponder about.