Film companies sue iiNet 'for allowing piracy'

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Asgaldh, Nov 20, 2008.

1. khangu

khangu Member

On what grounds would they take iiNet to court?

That's like taking the Qld State Govt to court because the roads they provide is used by people for transporting bootleg copies of movies for sale in the city.

Sure, the Govt knows about it, and it happens but they can't set up checkpoints along every road intersection to look for contraband goods that's affecting some business's bottom line.

I think you're right. I remember they did start counting uploads a year or so ago. Maybe they had an inkling that this was going to happen and decided to count upload to slow down the users using torrents on their network.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. OP
    OP
    Asgaldh

Asgaldh (Banned or Deleted)

if they make things more affordable, I would go out and watch more movies and buy more DVDs instead of secondhands

nicely put khangus :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  3. thetron

thetron Member

The movie industry uses dirty tactics. They want to run Financial DDoS attacks against ISP trying to run them out of business by making them defend themselves in court

4. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Anyone familar with the "US Free trade agreement?" based on what they are saying, this case shouldn't haven't anything to stand on if the immunity for ISP's stands.

Personally i think they just want to make some noise..

5. khangu

khangu Member

Umm... well, it'll still hurt iiNet becuase they'll have to put on lawyers to defend themselves. Unless cost is awarded if the case get thrown out.

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

That's the thing. If you're looking to do a bit of torrenting, you know you're going to have a fair bit of up traffic, so you'd walk away from bigpond as soon as you saw that uploads are counted in the already avg $/gb plans.

7. TaroT

TaroT Member

movies and dvds i understand but tv shows taped from the tv...

might as well go shoot the pvr's tv tuner and video recorders but wait
    lets look at the copyright document.

http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/G025.pdf

according to that recording for research and study is permitted and time shifting to watch at a more convenient time

how about when these gooses put shows on at midnight or cancel them after3 shows....wheres that fit in.

i really wish i was a lawyer about now...

anyway
    life goes on and as usual australia is last on the list (this time it's a good thing :) )

and to add to it i just churned away from iinet...off to the lottery agent :)

now to make one thing clear i do agree about movies dvds and blu rays...i see the point that it is all overpriced just like games..but for me ..can't do it...but tv shows...come on...

8. ernie

ernie Member

iiNet should block their customers internet access to the networks of Village Roadshow, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, 20th Century Fox, Disney and the Seven Network.

Then they can say the did their bit, and the stuff must be coming from elsewhere ;)

- Ernie.

9. Apocolypse

Apocolypse Member

You will probablyfind iiNet is a target due to their aquisition of Westnet (and thus their user base) and also their stance on the Internet Censorship issue ie the Aussie Goverment have probably welcomed/encouraged this litigation.

10. tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

Why is iinet responsible for policing copyright law?

Totally and utterly ridicules!

11. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

Should a gun store have some responsibility if a customer goes postal at work with a gun? If the customer bought the gun without the mental capacity, or the store had a feeling he'd do something illegal, should they be held accountable?

Long stretch, but it kinda applies.

iiNet and other ISPs with their huge download/upload quotas and lack of effort to enforce any restrictions are still technically allowing the customer to do naughty things. Honestly, an ISP that offers say, 100GB of traffic per month to a customer that isn't a business, what do they really think you'll be doing?

12. yellowsnow

yellowsnow (Banned or Deleted)

I'm afraid your analogy fails because thats exactly what the Govt is doing with their upcoming internet "cleanfeed" policy.

13. power

power Member

Judge should throw this crazy shit out of court and tell the film industry to spend their time making better movies and distribution methods.

14. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Exactly...couldn't of said it better myself.

15. Pugs

Pugs Member

right on brother.... they should take page from steams book..online distro is the way and they are so far behind it isn't funny

16. Leopard

Leopard Member

If I couldn't get my entertainment feed via the internet, I'd be dropping my high traffic/high cost plan for something *much* cheaper. I don't use *tube so I'd probably go to a <5GB plan or something.
    Maybe even a mobile phone data plan, drop my mostly unused land-line totally and save $50+ a month - and no, this extra ca$h would not be for going to the movies :thumbdn:

17. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Allow me to play devil's advocate if i may :)

- we disapprove of the content owners pursuing the ISPs
    - we disapprove of, and forbid, the ISPs from handing over details of any user downloading copyright material to the copyright owners
    - we respond with terms like "you need to modernise your distribution" without offering any sort of guidance ("just sort it out").

As far as i can tell, we demand the mechanisms to download copyrighted material and will do anything in our power to shoot down anyone who attempts to stop the gravy train.

Why cant people just be honest and say "i want your content for free" :confused:

18. OP
    OP
    Asgaldh

Asgaldh (Banned or Deleted)

right on, the court should make an example out of them for the future cases

19. ernie

ernie Member

So what's the status of the "Darknets" any of them actually a viable replacement for bittorrents?

- Ernie.

20. alexb618

alexb618 Member

but the reality is 'more often that not your content isnt worth paying for'