Film develop

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Shotkit, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

Does anyone here know somewhere cheap/good to develop 35mm film stock? My wife is thinking of getting into film shooting, but I don't want the ball ache (not to mention additional expense) of sending the film away to get scanned/printed each time...

2. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

If you stick to B&W you can do it yourself quite easily at home.

3. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

Somehow i found myself a fair way down the film rabbit hole.. a few tips for getting started:

- order film from b&h. Australian suppliers are taking the piss in a major way with film pricing.
    - B&W is damn expensive to get developed at a lab but damn cheap (and easy) to do at home.
    - Colour film (c41) is pretty cheap to get developed

Scanning colour is a major ball ache. I ended up buying my own scanner(s). Most labs give you back pretty terrible scans and can turn you off the whole deal.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  4. Andre Moon

Andre Moon Member

Howdy Shotkit!
    You can try www.hillvale.com.au
    Melbourne based.
    Good prices for C41 colour developing and scanning, I'd stick with Low resolution unless your wife is going to do some exhibitions etc. or print rather large.
    I often save up 8 rolls and send a bulk order to get a break on postage.
    Using film is a wonderful way to experience photography as it teaches you restraint and has a different set of limitations to digital photography.

Some of my photography work can be found here www.ambientfridge.com and I'm more than happy to answer any other questions you may have about film etc.

A

5. power

power Member

if she REALLY wants to get into it she should totally get into having a darkroom as well.

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

7. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I started with developing b/w film, did my first colour a few days ago. It’s a bit more involved but not that much harder really.

Great fun, I love waiting to see if I got good shots or not :)

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

You don't need a darkroom, and light proof changing bag is plenty. DIY it, as film processing is boutique now, prices for professional jobs are greater than you can DIY it - initial set up aside). But the changing bag, processing tank, chem measuring cylinders etc. is pretty cheap to start with and lasts forever, so a lifetime investment. The chemicals for B&W are cheap, reusable a few times, and relatively easy to use - just need a timer and reasonable room temperature. colour chems require more precision when it comes to temperature and timing, but still perfectly doable at home.

processing prints is the expensive part - need a dark proof, projector, paper, processing trays etc.

scan and digital print is the answer here.

9. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Missing out on a lot of fun there...

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

True, but it's an unnecessary luxury many can't afford/have space for/etc. Don't let the lack of a darkroom prevent moving to film. There's some photo studios that you can rent darkroom time from if you really want to get into it, and can't have one yourself.

Going through school I had access to the dark room there, great fun processing your own prints - and the photoshop of the time, dodging and burning with real light not a mouse etc.

11. TwinII

TwinII Member

I send my film to Vision Image Lab in Sydney. I tend to only shoot E-6 (although I have some B&W and C-41 films in the fridge which I have not shot yet). I have my own Epson V700 scanner where I scan my film frames myself.