Final Fantasy XIV Online

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by MYSRH, Jun 9, 2009.

1. MYSRH

MYSRH Member

A new online Final Fantasy is on the way apparently, reading the interview, it's quite an ambitious and exciting game.

Official Site: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

Interview from MMORPG.com
    Excerpt from the interview:
    "Q: What are the ties to the old races of FFXI?
    Tanaka: The world of FFXIV is a different one from FFXI. The races look similar so that they will feel familiar to players of FFXI, but the world is a different world, and thus the races are also different.

Q: What’s going to happen to FFXI?
    Tanaka: Development for FFXIV actually began about four or five years ago and has been developed along side FFXI. FFXI is still going strong after seven years and there are no plans to stop development of FFXI.

Q: What influence has more casual games such has World of Warcraft have had on FFXI?
    Komoto: While we want to make sure our players see more casual game play, we will not be a WoW clone."

2. Rockman.EXE

Rockman.EXE Member

Really looking forward to this, tempted to back to FFXI in the mean time and muck around with my red mage a bit. :D

3. flinchy

flinchy Member

hehe was wondering how long this thread would take, sounds interesting.

why would anyone think they'd have the same races... every world has had different ones (besides hume/humans, moogles)... though i'd say ivalice is still my favourite final fantasy world, creature wise.. much fantasy.

Q: What influence has more casual games such has World of Warcraft have had on FFXI?

yeah.... casual
    ok.

4. Kaji

Kaji Member

Newsflash: compared to everything that came before it, WoW was extremely casual. And its only gotten more casual.

5. flinchy

flinchy Member

well, not really

unless you count casual as level 1-cap without the need to grind incessantly (ie casual == fun, comparatively)

otherwise, the actual TIME it takes to get from 1-80 is exactly the same as any other mmo really. (hundreds of hours of pretty hardcore play), not to mention to actually GET anywhere in the endgame, hours and hour sand hours and hours of raids, rep grinding, token grinding etc.

it's probably the least casual mmo i can think of really.

its no simpler than any other mmo either, especially in said endgame, unless you count all the carebearing addons (qh, lightheaded, the integrated levelling guides)

6. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

we havent got FFXIII yet :( and they are starting on FFXIV :(

7. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

God i hope its ok, im so tired of MMORPG's being shit lately. There hasn't been a decent MMORPG in like the last 6 years.

8. Jarrah

Jarrah Member

i want this game so so badly

9. OP
    OP
    MYSRH

MYSRH Member

An update news from Kotaku
    read the rest here

10. Jarrah

Jarrah Member

I dont mind if they dont release any other races than the ones listed there. I dont think you need an abundance of races to make a good game. Im not too sure about crafting and gathering being part of the 4 catagories tho. Will be interesting to see what other classes they release in these catagories.

The shots that I've seen of in game locations look amazing I must say as do the models they have proposed for the races.

Cannot wait!

11. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

O
    M
    G

IM SO PLAYING THIS!!!!!

Finally, a possibly half way decent game, not on the inferior level system.

12. zehoo

zehoo Member

13. samsino

samsino Member

14. zdream

zdream Member

ditto! can't wait :weirdo:

15. influx

influx Member

looks interesting but may ultimately end up on the pile of mmo's i bought and discarded: aion, aoc, warhammer

16. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I agree with you influx

AoC, Warhammer, Ragnarok, WoW, Eve, Everquest 1, 2, Runes of Magic, Richard Garriots Tabula Rasa, UO, LOTRO and a ton of Chinese / Korean / Japanese MMOGs...

All discarded.

But getting in to the hype at the peak of its success was pretty fun.

Once the fun is gone, it's just a matter of botting / farming the shit out of them until it's no longer profitable, and move on. :weirdo:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  17. sYnical-X

sYnical-X Member

Lost my life for abit when FFXI came out, will probably lose abit more life when FFXIII is out.

Still have yet to come across an MMO since that can compare to it. WoW is major pffftt, and anything with instances is :thumbdn: goes against the whole point of MMO's imo.

Atmosphere was fantastic which somehow, which no other game has come close to, bland levels, bland monsters. I actually felt like I was running through a massive plain, or sneaking up to a dark tower and the LOL's when you see a toon/party in the distance running from a horde of mobs they managed to aggro.

Hopefully this can shine up and past where FFXI left off.

18. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Anyone know if this will be monthly subscription as well?

19. Draethz

Draethz Member

I'm glad I never played WoW with you. If it ever took you HUNDREDS of hours to level....jeeze. You could play WoW for 2 weeks now and get pretty much the best gear, so I am told.

20. flinchy

flinchy Member

:|

i levelled most of the way to 60 in vanilla.. got bored

most of the way to 70 in bc

got bored

now 80 in lich

yes
    it takes at LEAST 4-5 days of /played even with refer a friend (1-60 at 300% experience) grinding instances for massive experience?

think about it.

and YES you can play for 2 weeks and get the second best tier of gear (well, half your gear, the other half will still be poor shit)... but that's a SOLID 2 weeks of a few hours of play a day minimum, even when you hit the level cap, it's still uhh.. 10 hours minimum (with a group CARRYING you) of solid instances to get the tiered gear, then even more of actual lower tiered raids to get the offset gear.

before i hit 80, i had a total /played of something like 12 days. yeah. 288 hours.
    though not all of it was hardcore levelling... plenty of dicking around in trade chat and whatnot.

it's really, like i said, no faster than any other mmo, it just doesn't SEEM like it's taking you many hours, because it's funner :)