Final Fantasy XIV Online

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by MYSRH, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Seconded. WTFast is very g4m3r-centric and it’s one of the pricier options, but it’s easy and effective. Mudfish is a little more finicky, but suuuuper cheap.

Either of them brought my ping on ADSL2 from 240 to 130. Makes NIN actually playable.

2. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

EU Server (Cerberus) and i use BattlePing which isn't even helping . the lag appears to be either my end (modem/router) or ISP end, i'm not sure if it's network congestion which shouldn't be a problem at 2am, or if the modem is dying. bought a new modem and will try it out over the long weekend

3. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

On a whim, I decided I wanted to have a look at this game. So far I haven't been able to get it to install and I'm about ready to request a refund because I can't find any information to reliably fix the problem.

The problem is the game wants DX9, I have DX12 and despite trying every suggestion I've been able to find, I can't get the FFXIV installer to recognize that my system is fine. If I run the installer straight, the DX installer module returns and "internal error" and loops back to the installer saying it needs to install a newer version of the DX. Repeat ad nauseam. One suggestion had me editting the registry to make the DX9 installer think I had an older version installed, doing this meant the DX9 installer actually completed, but the FFXIV installer wouldn't progress beyond trying to install DX9.

Does anyone know if this game is similar to Blizzard games, in that you can just copy the entire folder from one location to another and run the executable from there? I think this is my last hope, assuming I can find someone in Melbourne willing to let me copy their installation. Otherwise, I'll be requested a refund (haven't activated the key yet thankfully).

4. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

My understanding is that is that DX12 does not include DX9c, so it would need to be installed side-by-side. Have you tried downloading and installing DX9 separately from FFXIV? For FFXIV, try re-downloading and running compatibility mode for the installer after installing DX separately. The silly part is the game will run in DX11 if you have it.

You can copy the whole directory to save re-downloading it, but you'll still need to install the game so that the registry settings are all added. It does the Steam thing of detecting most of the files and redownloading anything that's missing.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough first experience. It's an amazing game once you actually get into it and I hope you get it sorted!

(Tonberry and Kujata are the main servers for Australia, but all instanced content can be done cross-server within the Elemental Data Centre)

5. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Interestingly enough, I had read somewhere that DX12 DOES include all functionality of previous versions.... Anyway, yes I have download the End user Runtime installer for DX9 (June 2010 Update) and that is what is actually producing the internal error on install. I found a MS article somewhere that mentioned a registry "hack" that stopped this internal error, but didn't seems to actually let DX install - this is the time it started looping. Have tried the DX9 installer in compatibility mode - no dice. The error the DX installer was producing mentioned the file DXERROR.LOG, which I couldn't find, so I googled it. That brought up an article about trying to do a clean boot (MSCONFIG settings etc.) which allowed the DX9 installer to actually run for once. I ran the FFXIV installer straight afterword and it also ran. (I'm getting confident here). As installation literally took 5 seconds, I thought something must be wrong, but tried the launcher anyway - nothing happened. So I reset the computer to a "normal startup" in MSCONFIG and rebooted the pc. Click the launcher and the thing ran, entered my activation keys and it is now downloading some 36gb of game files.

Seeing as it looks like I will be able to play (sometime in the next day or 2 at this rate), would you mind schooling me on the different servers etc.? I'm watching a bunch of videos about getting started, but it doesn't hurt to get some info from multiple sources. My plan is to play a Gladiator/Paladin as I generally prefer the survivability of tanks and love the idea of the sword & board play style in most (mmo)rpgs.

6. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

I'm glad you got it sorted :)

Sure, ask me anything. If you get onto Tonberry or Kujata, I can help with anything. PLD is a really good tank to learn what a tank means in this game. Its rotation is very boring at lower levels, but it gets good past 50. You can play every job on one character anyway, so it's not much of a commitment to change to Warrior or something. Just be aware that tanking carries more nuanced responsibility than the other roles.

There are a few Data Centres, based in Japan, Germany or US. English-speaking Australasian players tend to stick to Elemental (JP Data Centre).
    Within each data centre, there are a number of servers (Tonberry, Kujata, Typhon, etc). While instanced (dungeon/raid) content is playable with players within the data centre, houses, clans (Free Companies), the market and overworld are all world-specific. Tonberry (mine) is the biggest English-speaking server on Elemental, but Kujata is second (and has lots of Aussies).

Any content/battle specific questions, just let me know. My profile is my in signature below.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  7. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Download completed, character created on Kujata (Koriel Flameheart, Au Ra Gladiator).

Picking up every quest I can find, think I'm about to have to go outside and slaughter some innocent little animals.

Have made my way to level 13 or 14, my biggest problem at the moment appears to be gear. Very few quests reward any and mobs don't seem to drop any. I'm guessing there are some leveling dungeons (or are they strictly end game) and I reckon if I queued for one I"d get squashed in my starter gear.

Also have seen anything about crafting, as I assume that is another avenue for gear creation.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  8. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Nice, which server?

You can buy gear with gil (either Vendor or player Marketboard) and get it as quest/levequest rewards however dungeons do drop nice gear for the levelling process (they start at Lv 15).

However, at your current level, by FAR the best way to gear up is to do Hall of the Novice (Western La Noscea, near Aleport). Gives you really good Lv 15 gear and an EXP-boost ring.

9. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

I decided to role on Kujata, as some of the things I'd read about queues on Tonberry kind of worried me - they may well have been old comments or at particularly bad times so I don't know how accurate they were for right now.

I'm familiar with the WOW model where vendor gear just isn't worth buying at all (common quality, no stats). crafted gear (uncommon, bonus stats) is generally the bare minimum, dungeon gear (rare quality, good bonus stats, maybe effect procs) is how it is done for leveling.

It seems dungeons kick in for both games at 15, so I'm just about to hit that part of the game, and probably start seeing proper itemisation, but so far the quest rewards haven't been that numerous and I'm mostly still in starter gear.

Will look out for the Hall of the Novice quests @ 15 and see what I can get from it.

I assume there is some form of mounted travel other than Aetheryte & Chocobo Porters? What level does that unlock and how much does it cost?

10. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Vendor gear is Normal Quality (NQ). It's definitely inferior to HQ crafted gear and dungeon drops, but it's better than nothing or heavily under leveled gear. Honestly it's not such a big deal if you are NQ levelling up.

You can get your own Chocobo at (I think) level 20? Have to join a Grand Company (faction) as part of the quest line, but they reduced the cost to a tiny amount.

11. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

To expand on this as i did it a few weeks ago with an alt char, there's a lvl20 msq that makes you join a Grand Company (doesn't matter which you choose, can always change at a later time). Once you've joined said Grand Company, you'll do a quest or two for them before getting one called 'My Little Chocobo', this is the quest that unlocks mounts and rewards you with a Chocobo Whitsle, a one time use item that gives you your very own Chocobo. You will need 200 (down from 2000 in the 2.X days) Grand Company seals to obtain the Chocobo Insurance item required for the quest. Seals can be easily acquired by completing fates, though only after joining a Grand Company or hunting log entries, if it's unlocked. Also once at lvl30(maybe 35?) and you have the Chocobo unlocked there is a sidequest that enables you to summon the your Chocobo to fight along side you.

12. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

I'm up to lvl 24 now, have progressed the MSQ to the point where I'm using the duty finder for my second dungeon and still no need to join a Grand Company yet. I'm assuming I'll get there eventually.

13. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Cool, you're a little over levelled (not a problem, instanced content is level synced) , but you'll know you're close when the MSQ required level hits 20 :) Can't miss it.

14. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Yeah, I'm pretty certain the experience boost from levelling on a targeted realm is really pushing me ahead of the quest chain. Though I still somehow managed to screw up yesterday in a FATE and got myself whomped by a lvl 50 mob.

15. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

be careful with some of the fates, most can be completed on your own but there's a few that need at least a full party to do. if you see a fate with a timer of over 15min, don't bother attempting it

16. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Well I've made lvl 30 and got my MSQ to lvl 20 and am on the farm for company seals to get my Chocobo.

Not sure if it's just me, but boy did the game get harder once I hit 30 (probably because I'm now in zones with lvl 28 mobs instead of lvl 13). Or it could just be the group pulls I can't seem to break up on in this area, as single mobs don't feel that hard.

Either way, I didn't expect to be "half way" through the leveling experience in a weekend. Max level by Christmas (because of work) and then seeing what the gearing game is like.

17. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Mission failed. Think I'm about 35 now, just haven't been playing the game very much at all while I'm off visiting family interstate.

18. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

You're Lv 32. That's okay! There are a few ways to level up, but you have a fair bit of Main Story ahead of you! Honestly, I would focus almost entirely on the Main Story Quests for now, as a lot of content opens at 50 and beyond. I'd be surprised if your story missions catch up with your levels, but if you do Levelling Roulette each day you play, it should be fine.

19. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

meeting the family :D
    [​IMG]

20. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Haha, I haven't done much Eureka.