Final Fantasy XIV Online

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by MYSRH, Jun 9, 2009.

1. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

neither have i ;)

2. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

He says, astride the Pyros mount...

3. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

market board is your friend..... depending on price

4. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Reached 35 tonight and did my second paladin quest to unlock the Sword Oath, hoping that might make things a little faster while grinding out the levels.

Definitely a big difference in difficulty between the level 24-ish MSQ vs the level 35 paladin quests.

Pretty sure I'm suffering because of the experience buff on the server as I'm easily out levelling the MSQ and therefore don't have good enough gear to complete the job quests when they unlock. I just dropped the best part of 30,000 gil on the market place to buy some gear so I could complete the level 35 job quest.

I need to find out more about this materia stuff, all my gear has "sockets" but I have nothing to put in it and despite doing the quest to unlock it, none of the gear I have can be "broken down" when I replace it.

5. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

wouldn't worry too much about the materia, not really needed till end game usually. as for converting your gear into materia, the gear needs to have a 100% spiritbond to have the option of converting it.

there's a lvl35 dungeon which i believe is unlocked by a sidequest located outside the Waking Sands if memory serves correctly, might want to do that and get some gear, lvl38 dungeon is also unlockable by sidequest

6. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Also, remember that if you're level synched for dungeons, you can't use the higher level skills, so you're not missing out so much from not doing the Job Quests above your story progress.

Once you get to Lv 32 Dungeon (Brayflox's Longstop through MSQ), it's a great place to farm a set of tank gear (left side) that will last you until about Lv 40.

I second totally ignoring Materia until end-game raiding. If you're totally over-levelled, you could always take the opportunity to use your Levelling Roulette on another job and see how you like it.

7. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

I'm about 10 levels above my MSQ, so if I have to wait until I get that to 32 to unlock a dungeon, I reckon I'll be close to 40 if not over.

I've experienced the level syncing and the removal of skills because of it, was a surprise the first time it happened as I was used to using my 3 strike combo and the 3rd one wouldn't work,

Being an experienced WoW player, is there a site similar to WoWHead for FFXIV? I tried using the database linked to Lodestone but couldn't quite figure out how it was organised.

8. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Nah, there are dungeons every few levels. I just mentioned that one because it can't be missed and is great for gear.

Here are the ARR Dungeons. Take a look at the quest icon on the wiki and you can tell if it's MSQ (Meteor icon) or Side Quest (Speech Bubble): https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons#A_Realm_Reborn

If you haven't already unlocked Thousand Maws of Toto-rak and Haukke Manor, they are your next MSQ locations. Just smash out the MSQ until then. Thousand Maws should usually leave your 3rd Combo available.

As Orbis said, Sunken Temple of Qarn and Cutter's Cry are available through Side Quests around your level, but they are gonna give a difficulty spike if you haven't done anything since Halatali.

There isn't one source to end all sources. The Wiki I linked is great and does most things. For endgame, I use different sites for different purposes. So if you want to compare and plan gear quickly, use Ariyala and change the iLvl range to something more appropriate ;)

9. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Have done Thousand Maws and rescued the Slyph (or whatever it is called) and got another crystal piece. (Some of the dungeons cinematics are so long I'm afraid the groud will get bored waiting for me to watch them).

Just plugging along, trying to complete the Hunting Log when I find myself in the areas with the correct mobs for a bit of bonus experience, otherwise just focusing on MSQ (doing the dungeons when needed) and job quests every 5 levels when they come up. Hitting the odd FATE but otherwise ignoring things lings like levees and having touched the levelling roulette at all.

10. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Nice, you're not far off Haukke Manor then!

The ARR MSQ dungeons have lots of cutscenes, which was a silly design choice that they left behind in Heavensward onwards. People will just have to be patient and let you enjoy the story. They were once new, too.

Hang in there. It gets better and better, aside from some speed bumps around lv 50.

11. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Actually paid attention to the load screen today and noticed that there will be a day of maintenance for the new patch on Monday. I thought we were already on 4.5, not that it was "coming soon". Did a little quick research, seems Heavensward released about 2 years earlier than Stormblood and had a 5 patch cycles on a very similar time line, so are we looking at another expansion in the middle of the year?

12. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

SB has followed almost the same formula as HW, so we sorta know what to expect. In this case, 4.5 will bring a new dungeon, new 24-man raid, new Primal and the Blue Mage job.

There is an expansion, Shadowbringers, coming next year. Once every 2 years. New jobs, raised level cap and stacks of story and battle content.

Patch drops Tuesday night, meaning maintenance will be from Monday night through Tuesday day. 24 hr maint is only before major patches.

13. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Level 39, have progressed the MSQ to the Manor dungeon - just need to queue for it now.

Spent the morning learning how gather (mining) and craft (Goldsmith). Mining is easy enough, but making anything decent with goldsmith might take some actual effort.

14. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Very nice! Let me know if you're in need of a healer/guide for the dungeon! I'm online at the moment and can be around if you let me know!

And crafting is a game unto itself.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  15. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

will need to lvl all crafters, as you will need to unlock skills from each one that they can share to successfully craft HQ stuff. have a read through http://ffxivrealm.com/guides/ff14-advanced-crafting-guide-by-caimie-tsukino.39/ if you want to get serious about crafting

mining and botany are identical, just have different names for the actions. fishing works differently and is more rng based

16. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Level 48, it's been a couple of productive days.

Now that I've finally hired myself a retainer, how do the jobs for them work? The game says they can't out level you, and I'm assuming this means your level in their assigned class? (i.e. if I'm a level 5 archer, they can't level past level 5, it doesn't matter than I'm a 48 Gladiator)

17. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

that's correct, personally i set my first retainer to my main class/job for that reason. you send retainers out on ventures and after a set amount of time (18hrs for world(?) exploration or 60mins for quick exploration) they return and give you an item(s) and gain a bunch of exp that lvl's them up, as they level you need to provide them with better gear. each time you send them on a venture they require a payment in the form of the venture currency, which you can obtain from beast tribe quests/vendors, grand company quartermaster(whichever npc sells the gc gear) or by trading allied/centurio seals at the relevant npc's.

you can have 2 free retainers, but if you find you want/need more your going to have to pay for them via the mogstation under additional services, cost about $1.50each/month from memory

18. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Level 53, been playing around with my UI a bit lately, dicking around with DoH/DoL jobs and playing with my new Retainer.

Letting life get in the way of gaming for a week now (sporting commitments) and with the patch maintenance I may not get back on until Wednesday or Thursday. At least I should have a lovely chunk of rested experience.

19. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Remember, if you're playing with a few jobs, to burn the Rested EXP first on the job you need to level most.

20. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

For sure. Leveling my main job is always a priority. I only start playing around with all the side features after several hours of play or if I'm sick of watching cut scenes in dungeons (that final dungeon drove me crazy with all the cut scenes).