Final Fantasy XIV Online

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by MYSRH, Jun 9, 2009.

1. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

This MSQ is a serious slog. I'm all but finished the 2.3 MSQ and reckon I should finally be on to HW content by Sunday - yay I'll finally be earning xp (and new gear) again, have been stuck at 54 for what feels like forever.

2. garnet

garnet Member

with shadowbringers out soon, who still playing? :D

3. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

I am still playing and so is CrimsonScribe above.

4. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

Yup still playing and still enjoying it.

Will be interesting to go through my first "expansion revolution" of class mechanics in this game.

5. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

load it up occasionally, don't have much i want to do in it atm, just waiting for the expansion

6. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Apart from the stance changes, I don't feel like PLD is going to be feel much different. Except that juicy instant-cast Requiescat window.

It's gonna be the first tank I level this expac.

7. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

So is anyone playing Shadowbringers? I'm not too far into the MSQ as I decided to re-roll my main class as Dancer so I've been working to get it up-to 70. Finally did it last night so today I started on new content. I picked the quest where we go meet Alisaie first and i'm loving the zone music at the moment. It's so quiet... otherworldly, relaxing yet creepy. I do not however like the battle music. It's so out of place. It just doesn't seem fitting for FFXIV, to me sounds more like something you'd expect from an OP of an action anime or something :/

Decided to do a couple of things different for this xpac, aside from not being my usual healer (for now lol) I also race changed from my usual male Miq'ote to a female Viera. It's just a shame that Fantasia is appearance customisation only as she is now stuck with a mans name and I don't want to pay for a name change as I reckon after a while i'll miss my Miq'ote (we've only been together since the game launched :lol:) and i'll fantasia back to him.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  8. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

I like the battle theme but agree it's way too jarring compared to the more ambient BGM of the new zones. You can turn off battle and/or mount music in the options if you like.

I've finished and basically maxed out my gear for now. Also did something different by maining healer (compared to WAR/PLD/DRG in the past) and I thoroughly enjoyed how in demand we are :)

9. CrimsonScribe

CrimsonScribe Member

I've pretty much failed in regards to ShB launch.

I took a week off and so far I've only managed to get 74 on my main class (PLD) - I'm now gated behind the 2nd dungeon. Considering I've had all the time in the world to play, I've struggled to play more than an hour or so a day, I've been so preoccupied with lazing around on the couch to put any real effort into the game.

garnet likes this.
  10. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

You're doing better than me lol. I've been playing since early access went live and i'm only 71 so far.

No spoilers please but i've heard the MSQ gets really messed up in this xpac and it's one of the best so far (I hope so as I found Stormblood to be pretty weak compared to ARR and HW) so i'm looking forward to seeing what happens

I just finished the part where you reunite with Alisaie and that in Amh Araeng (I'm assuming we go back later as most of the zone is still unexplored and I had no reason to go near the other half
    I just saw the cit where you're chasing after that kid that is going to turn into the sinspawn soon and the carer jumps in to save her but gets stabbed instead and turns into the monster... That sure was messed up! The creepy look of pain/terror on her face and the way her eyes went all blue then the weird white tears came down her face before going into that cocoon thing was seriously messed up.
    I'm assuming it only gets worse from here!

Unfortunately now it's onto chasing around Alphinaud :( I'd much rather go and see what Thancred or Ysh'tola is doing lol

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  11. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

only just started the xpac over the weekend, so far only a few quests past the first dungeon. kinda just going through the motions, not really paying attention the story or anything. did the dungeon using the trust system and it took about twice as long as it would have via DF but works better then the squadron system.

screenshot showing how good the game looks, in spoiler tags as it's from the first dungeon
    [​IMG]

12. garnet

garnet Member

a fail indeed, i went mad on that weekend. even told the waifu that i am in zombie mode :D, still end up leaving the house :(

13. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

Not sure if anyone is interested or even if it's good value but Dominos have that random offer again

https://ffxiv.dominos.com.au/

Get 3x large pizza, Garlic Bread and Drink and get Shadowbringers for PC for "Free" Does not seem like a bad deal as it's $54 pickup whereas if you use vouchers you can get it for $37.95 (probably cheaper I just half assed it) which means you're only paying $16 for the xpac or you could look at it as you're buying the Xpac (which is $54 from JB Hi-fi) and getting 3x Pizza, GB and drink for free

BuZeR likes this.
  14. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

I'm going to give the free trial a go, but couldn't quite tell what's the actual monetisation model for this game.

Upfront purchase, exp purchase, and monthly sub? Is the monthly sub required? What kind of things are available for purchase with microtxns?

15. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Upfront purchase (Domino's deal is still going?), then monthly sub after 30 days. That's all that's required and I recommend going with the Starter Subscription (a lot of people don't even notice they can choose this).

Be aware that if you start the trial/account through Steam you will be locked into it and vice-versa.

Microtransactions are completely optional and mostly cosmetic. You can buy level boosts and story skips, however playing through the existing story is a great experience anyway, as most old content is regularly done thanks to the roulette system. You can also buy extra storage space, but only dedicated endgame crafters tend to bother with this.

I extend the offer of help to anyone on here who needs a hand :)

Dingostolemyghz likes this.
  16. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

I had a bit of a play around in this last night, seems decent enough. But I think I came to the realisation that I'm not as keen to get back into an MMO as I thought. I'll give it a bit more of a go, but don't see myself buying it and subbing.