1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally doing offsite backups - Which portable drive?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Paronga, Jul 21, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

What do we hate about BackBlaze and why?

Currently using them in conjunction with borg and rclone. Happy with the price and service so far. Shit just works, and is dirt cheap.

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

Practising what I preach.

Prepping my 2020 drives now.
    [​IMG]

I've got WD Elements drives going back to 2011, they haven't change the design of the case, or power supply in all that time.

Why WD? Because I generally don't use them in my PC or NAS, just trying to avoid any manufacturer/model specific issues.

3. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I was half expecting someone to challenge me over why i thought BackBlaze was crappy (as Power did as well) just as i am going to get others who claim that "Sync" is also crappy, however i am not interested in asking anyone to justify their own thoughts as to why something is Crappy (Dropbox, Sync or otherwise) so if someone doesn't like a product that i use, good for them, but most of those who bag stuff may have had issues with it, or in some case have probably not even used it before, they just read negative stuff and repeat them here in the forum.

Do you want me to list the endless issues i ended up having with Dropbox as well ?

Anyway, just to keep you happy, i was having a lot of issues with files being deleted from my online storage, and some files would not be backed up as well, and i had a lot of issues with support not being responsive enough in my situation, and it was going on for 6 months until i just pulled the pin, and decided to try Sync, which operates in the same way as Dropbox did, only without all the added issues, and Sync was a lot cheaper as well.

Some might say that having to have a dedicated "Sync" folder on a hard drive to store your files in is stupid, but it is no stupider than doing it any other way, it's just a folder that sits on the hard drive with files stored inside.

Never had one single issue with Sync, and i also have no issues with SyncBack free as well, least not after they released their brand new version some time ago.

What size plug in drives are you using ?

Not seen anyone using plug in backup drives for years, and with the advent of 4tb and 5tb portable drives, i would see most people just going portable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  4. elvis

Yes.

I am. If someone else is having problems with a service I rely on, I want to know about it.

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

What do you mean by "plug in" vs. "portable" those are both plug in and portable??? do you mean difference between as a 3.5" and 2.5" size enclosures? It's not like either size will go in my back pocket, so portability wise they're the same, both are small and light enough to carry one handed, put in the car/safe/desk drawer etc.

per-earlier post the 2019 one there is a 6TB, the 2020 is a 10TB, starting to run low on space, and they were on special, $290, so in my budget for drives each year $300/per.

to do that with 2.5" HDDs, would cost me 4x as much, I'd need twice as many 5TB ones and they're more expensive each as well, plus the added hassle of extra drives to juggle. No thanks.

6. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Sorry plug in referred to the larger sized mains powered drives.
    I use portable because i need to unplug them each night and place in my fireproof safe, and i would still buy the 4 or 5tb portable drives for my manual backups regardless of cost, i just want the small footprint on my desktop, without power cables everywhere, and the portability.

What, a 2.5" portable drive will fit in your back pocket, it's smaller than most phones these days.

It really isn't that bad, just label them properly, and may need a few extra USB ports as well.

Seriously, i have much better things to do in like than have to report back every single issue i have with various applications, just so you can be aware of them.

I told you the basic issues that i had with Backblaze without having to go into all the finer detail, you seem to be happy with it, so why do you really care anyway, seems like you may actually be offended that some don't seem to like what you have, and i am not going to get into a shit fight over this, as all these types of threads end up a disaster or a train wreck with everyone having different opinions.

As for Dropbox, again why should i tell you the issues i had with that last year, you don't use it, and you seem to like Backblaze, so i am not going to bother wasting my time.

Power made a comment about Backblaze on page 1, it looked to me that he may not like that application either from his comment.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  7. elvis

Not entirely sure why you're so defensive here. All I want to know is what specific technical issues people are having with certain backup tools and certain cloud providers.

There's zero value in a "I don't like brand X" post. Conversely, there's lots of value in a "I don't like brand X, because of the following list of issues I've had" post. The latter contains the detail that matters, like if my backup scenario is similar to yours, or if the tools we're using to push/pull/verify data are the same. With those details I can do testing of my own to see if my data is at risk.

I'm not attacking you, so chill out. All I want to know is what happened to you in your specific case, and what tools you were using. If mine are the same, I'll test my own stuff. If mine aren't the same, then perhaps it'll stand as a better warning to others. But right now, there's zero data for anyone to do anything with.

Honestly, dial the paranoia down, then share and share alike. We can all help each other out here.

8. tensop

tensop Member

elvis stop shitting on the thread... anything seagate is destined to fail, go buy wd or something else if you're using externals :p

MR CHILLED likes this.
  9. power

power Member

i don't have any experience with backblaze - however i get sick of hearing about their "reliability surveys".

these drives are put under workloads that do no match a consumer load.

10. tensop

tensop Member

you're right, they're even more likely to die in a consumer environment with heat cycles and power cycles

blackblaze's results are still perfectly indicative though :p

11. power

power Member

no - they are different workloads.

12. tensop

tensop Member

indeed they are

blackblaze's results are still perfectly indicative though :p

13. nav

nav Member

Another BackBlaze user here, also curious to hear what makes them crap? We currently have ~12TB of data stored, can't really beat them on price and they integrate nicely with QNAP hardware.

-nav.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Assuming you are talking about their unlimited offering:

Your lost data is deleted after 30 days if you lose your drive/system/malware etc.

The application is terrible.

The restore process is very slow and buggy

The more you upload, the more questionable it becomes if you can even restore your data in a reasonable time, or at all if its too slow and they delete it.

15. nav

nav Member

We have multiple backup solutions (in-house and off-site), BackBlaze is one of two off-site options. The ~12TB has cost a grand total of $47.60 so far, pretty hard to beat that for value.

When we've finished uploading ~16TB I'll test their "Data by Mail" service to see how long it takes to ship my data back to Australia. I don't envisage using any of their other services as we have better options for selective file/folder restore, etc.

I am curious about your first point though, what did you mean by "deleted after 30 days" ?

-nav.

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Data by mail is a valid option if that suits you.

Personally it doesn't suit me for various reasons including time, size of restore upfront cost, needing to return if you don't want to buy them.

I would rather restore at full speed using my 100mbit internet connection.

To quote a backblaze staff member

"Hey there - Yev from Backblaze here:

Yes - Backblaze is a 1:1 backup of the data on your system and as a backup we need to verify the integrity of the files - so if we don't see them for 30 days, we remove them. If you're looking for an archive - something that will keep your data forever, regardless of what happens to the original, you can use a service like (Backblaze B2 - which we offer) or something similar to Amazon S3 - though with that type of service you'll normally pay "per GB" as the architecture tends to be a bit more expensive."

nav likes this.
  17. nav

nav Member

Ah yep, we're on B2. Data by Mail is something will we test but hope to never use, like worst case Disaster Recovery scenario.

-nav.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I like B2, its a no strings attached storage option. Considering you can use any backup client you like for B2, it means at least in my opinion you have full control over the quality and reliability of the backup instead of the dodgy backblaze unlimited version.

I do find B2 and similar services expensive though, at least when you consider modern storage requirements. There isn't much you can do unless you go with "unlimited" options, which I think you can only trust Google right now.

19. karun

karun Member

The problem with Cloud Storage is that you need a reasonably fast upload speed to make it worthwhile.

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

100/40 is plenty for cloud uploads.