1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally I've gone Core2Duo (Not very 56K Friendly)

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Whisper, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Whisper

Whisper Member

Well after giving these OCAU forums a pretty hard bashing and thorough grilling trying to get to the bottom of various issues regarding my upgrade from my old P4 Prescott (SunCore) 3.0GHz @ 3.5GHz CPU to a Intel Core2Duo E6600.

The initial plan was to do a cheap upgrade by using a Asrock ConRoe865PE, as it was the only Motherboard that supported a Conroe, + 4 slots of DDR1 Memory + AGP. There were downsides to this plan because the motherboard only has 2 SATA connections and I have 3 SATA drives.

Anyhow, my birthday rolls around and I ended up with more cash than I thought I was going to have, so I went the whole hog and upgraded the CPU, Motherboard, RAM & Video Card.

Final Parts List:
    Intel E6600 Core2Duo CPU $455 from TI Computers St Leonards
    Gigabyte 965P-DS3P Revision 3.3 $238 from TI Computers St Leonards
    Corsair TWIN2X2048-C6400C4 $372 from SkyComp Sydney City
    Gigabyte GV-NX76T256D-RH GeForce 6600GT Video Card 256MB $200 from Orange IT Sydney City

Total Cost: $1,265.00

Although the memory is good, I was hoping not to pay that much, and holding out hope of getting some A-Data DDR2-800 RAM for well under $300, but of course the dodgy website advertising A-Data DDR2-800 RAM for under $300 doesn't have any in stock, with only the vague promise of some time next week for new stock to arrive.
    Anyhow with budget a bit blown out by the RAM, I had to settle for the cheaper Video Card, which wasn't all that bad a deal since its a silent pipe, and it came with Civilisation 4 which the girlfriend will love. Who incidentially, is getting all my old hardware, which is about as much of an upgrade for her, as this upgrade is for me in terms of performance.

So, I hadn't formatted for at least 2 years (I'm completely over formatting every other week thank you very much), so reformatting for me is a major issue.

I ended up using nLite combined with Ryans Update Pack and this gave me a fairly good install of Windows XP without having to do too many updates (christ Microsoft release service pack 3 already FFS) but was hamstrung trying to get AHCI working correctly since the usual Press F6 method of installing storage drivers was refusing to work for me.

Finally got over all that using nLite again and now slowly getting my PC back into shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyhow you can see in the last picture I've not yet installed the water cooling. That is because the waterblock won't fit correctly on this motherboard because of that line of capacitors at the back of the CPU socket.

Luckily Radiical Computing is going to come to my rescue by machining a 10mm groove into the end of the water block to give me the clearance I need for those capacitors, so I can get my water cooling going once again.

I haven't tried to really overclock yet, just playing around, but a few things strike me as odd.

1. As far as I can tell with this Motherboard BIOS (I've upgraded to the latest from Gigabyte website) I cannot adjust any memory timings whatsoever. Is that correct? How do I get the memory timings to show up so they can be adjusted in BIOS? How do you change the memory timings?

2. My memory is running 266 x 3 = 800MHz but CPU-Z says my memory is running at 5-5-5-18 even though the memory is rated for 4-4-4-12 for DDR2-800 WTF??

3. What the hell do I have to disable/change in this BIOS to make the CPU overlock properly, without it underclocking?

4. What the hell is HPET in BIOS? All I get is High Precision Timer, but no actual explanation of what it is or does.

Umm thats about it for now. I can't go for those more extreme overclocks until I get my water cooling back in shape, which is not going to happen for over a week at least.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this has some useful information for somebody.

2. Darko

Darko Member

After you enter the BIOS, you need to press Ctrl + F1 to show advanced features/overclocking options

You mean memory frequency is 400x2 = 800
    My G-Skill memory does the same, just set it manually in the BIOS.

Not sure what you mean

Have no idea what it is.
    When in doubt, leave it alone.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  3. joe_lam65

joe_lam65 Member

Looks good, you bought a 7600gt right? I was like wtf 6600gt for $200 but then saw the model. You gotta Disable the Eist in the bios for it not to underclock

4. koma_white

koma_white Member

1. Like almost all Gigabyte motherboards you need to do the CTRL-F1 when you get into the BIOS to unlock all those OC features we've come to expect.

2. The memory may be rated for one thing, but chances are the SPD settings are set to the looser timings to avoid issues getting it up and running. Use the CTRL-F1 and set them to the recommended timings if it bothers you. As for the 266x3; well at the moment your FSB is 333mhz which is 1066mhz QDR and therefore the motherboard is using a 1/3 divider for the 266 to achieve the SPD rated 800mhz for the RAM. (I think i got that right... its a little late and my brains kinda switched off). If you OC and manually set the divider than you'll understand pretty quickly whats happening.

3. :D Again, CTRL-F1 is your friend. You'll find all the options you want/need in there. Can't remember what its called but it used to be Speedstep... i know they've changed the name but i still call it speedstep even to this day.

4. Well i've honestly no clue on the HPET, but given its got 4 letters not 3 it means its probably not an STD and not likely to be contagious. ;)

Congrats on the new system. You'll enjoy it even more when you get your WC'ing onto it.

edit: ... and in the 7 minutes it took me to write that you've already got the important information given to you... CTRL-F1 ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

I swear I've tried this, and nothing happens. I'll take a picture just to show you what I have

Pictures tell 1000 words I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's going on there?

Thanks for the responses though.

6. Darko

Darko Member

Without stating the obvious, did you press Ctrl and F1 at the same time (not one after the other)

I'd say it's because the RAM @ 400 frequency is not not running in synch with the FSB and is therefore loosening the timings.
    Set the RAM frequency to 266 by changing it to 1:2 in the BIOS and see what happens.
    As I said previously, you can also manually set the RAM timings to 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS if it won't do it on AUTO.

7. toe2toe

toe2toe Member

In your middle screenshot there it says the RAM is running at a ratio of 2:3 (FSB:RAM). The FSB is 266 MHz, hence the RAM is running at 266 x 1.5 = 400 MHz because the motherboard has automatically set it to run at it's default speed. As for what speed you should run it for maximum performance I'm not sure, i.e. should you slow it down to PC-4200 speeds so it runs at 1:1 or not. I'm sure someone here can tell you.

8. kr0nic

kr0nic Member

I was about to post saying you got rippppped off paying $200 for a 6600GT but then saw the pics and said 'that card looks verrrry similar to mine' Its a 7600GT for sure, you wont be dissapointed with that silent beast.

As others said just hit CTRL + F1 then go into the MIB section and change the required settings to manual to allow tweaking.

9. Cihan

Cihan Member

Drop the multiplier to 8, run the memory 1:1 at 400mhz with the CPU at 3200mhz.

10. Darko

Darko Member

Not having a go at you Cihan as I know it's common to see dedicated overclockers doing that just to see how high they can get the FSB but apart from a purely benchmarking/testing point of view I see no reason in dropping the multiplier on a CPU with a higher default multiplier for real world use.
    If you have an E6600 for instance, then run it at 9x like it's supposed to, a higher clock speed is always more preferable to a higher FSB, but if you're going to drop the multi on that E6600 you may as well have just got an E6400 instead.

11. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

That board and CPU are the same set i was looking at getting next monthish. I'd be very interested to see what kinda frame rates you're getting in games :thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

You are correct, pressing Ctrl-F1 does give you/me more features. :o

Now that I could see all the features, it was relatively simple to work out what is happening and adjust things accordingly. Stupid Auto settings default to 5-5-5-18 even though the SPD's report correctly.

I'll have some BIOS Screenshots soon

13. Cihan

Cihan Member

Understood, just that in his case he could run the memory 1:1 and push the CPU to 3200mhz without having to up the vCore too much. Its a good compromise, you get the memory running 1:1 = better performance, and you have the cpu running at just the right frequency even with a stock cooler.

If im not mistaken, E6600's run double the cache and that would be why they cost 40% more than E63/400's?

In this case its probably the best solution to his problem :)

14. Darko

Darko Member

The simplest solution would be to simply adjust the RAM timings to 4-4-4-12 manually.

15. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

BIOS Screens as promised. These are not the settings I am actually using at the moment, they are just the BIOS screenshots that I have simply to demonstrate the options available and also so when I ask questions we will know what I am refering to. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BIOS Screenshot #2 shows the mysterious HPET settings that nobody really knows anything about. Its not even in the manual that you can download from the Gigabyte website.

Well I still get well over 100 fps in Counter-Strike:Source when watching the bomb explode. On slower systems this is typically a fps killer!

Eva2000, in this post you mention prime95 v25.1. I have downloaded it but it will only allow me to run a maximum of 2 threads even though your screenshots here show that you are running 4 threads.

[​IMG]

I have downloaded ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v251.zip so I think I'm using the correct version, what the hell am I doing wrong?

BTW when I prime the CPU temp sits around 53C with my idle temps around 30C with all the power and thermal stuff switched off, which Im happy about.

16. Latch

Latch Member

My guess is you can only run 2 threads because you only have a dual core.

And are you seriously trying to run 3.2GHz while undervolted? :shock:

17. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

I think I was

It didn't work out too well.

Temps seem to be ok with 1.325 voltage with Prime95 going, but the 1st worker thread doesn't seem to do anything whilst the 2nd worker thread seems to do everything.

In any case, Prime95 seems stable, but it wasn't stable in game at 3.2GHz but everything was more or less stock, so I haven't even begun try yet. I idle at 33C and Prime at 53C so far.

I wish there was a simple answer for overclocking such as, do not go past this many volts for this setting or if you are running at this temp then you are running to hot.

BTW, what RightMark CPU Clock Utility Options should have checked. Is there any thermal management options I can turn on that will not hinder overclocking?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  18. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

yes dual core = 2 threads you'd need quad core cpu for 4 threads in prime95 v25.1 ;)

19. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Eva, any idea as to why 1 worker thread appears to sit there doing nothing whilst the other seems to be doing all the real work?

Also for anybody, is there a list of up to date overclocking tools here on the forum somewhere?

I mean, its all well and good to read over the old threads, but a lot of the posts are really old now (>6 months) so I have no idea if I am using the correct software, if its the right version, or whether the software is even reporting back correctly, like the old core temp issue, which for example, I still have no idea which program provides the correct temps, and which ones don't.

Here is a list of names I see bandied about:

Prime95
    Orthos
    RightMark CPU Clock Utility
    Core Temp
    CPU-Z
    Super Pi
    Stress Test

It'd be nice to know where all these programs are (yes I know I can use google and have been doing so) so people knew what they were suppose to be using and more importantly which versions of the software they shopuld be using so everybody can compare like with like, as well as knowing that the results they get are what everybody expects if instructions are followed correctly.

20. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

did you assign worker thread 1 > cpu #1 and thread 2 > cpu #2 ?