1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally I've gone Core2Duo (Not very 56K Friendly)

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Whisper, Feb 12, 2007.

1. YoSiMeTe_SaM

YoSiMeTe_SaM Member

Nice buy there mate,good luck with your new setup :thumbup: The joys of overclocking:p

Just a couple of questions..
    1 why disable speedsteep?
    2 ctrl and F1 is this only for Gigabyte boards?

Cheers Sammy

2. Darko

Darko Member

It apparently hinders overclocking

Yes.

3. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Yeah, I did exactly that.

It must have been a bug caused by the overclocking as it seems to function fine at stock.

4. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

and why is this?

5. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Ok some interesting things.

1. Couldn't get anything to read the voltage that I was using for the CPU in BIOS correctly in Windows. Thankfully today Y3llowbeard posts here about the new version of CPU-Z and guess what, voltage is now read correctly. YAY!

2. I tried Chainbolts trick of using 1.4Volts, but computer wouldn't even start. Why is that?

3. I ended up only using 1.344 Volts with a 355MHz FSB with a 9 Multiplier for 3.19GHz which primes stable, @ 63C no less, idle is 36C and Counter-Strike:Source stable. Prime now functions on both worker threads Eva2000. :)

4. What is (G)MCH Overvoltage control? I'm not using it, I just don't know what it is. (See BIOS pics)

5. I have also up'ed the FSB Over Voltage Control by 0.2. How many Volts can I raise this before I should be concerned, or start to look at active cooling solutions for the NorthBridge?

6. Stupid Gigabyte BIOS doesn't tell me the Voltages you are actually going to be using for many of the overclocking options, it just tells you that you are going to be using X Volts more than Normal. In any case, what is the default Voltage for my Corsair TWIN2X2048-C6400C4 and how many Volts can I use when overclocking before I should be worried?

Cheers & Thanks

6. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

On my DQ6 I run 1.4 volts vcore, vmch +2, vfsb +3.

I found massive stability gains fiddeling with the vfsb.

7. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I have never used this board, but various others with various E6600 and never was a board not starting at 1.4 volt vcore. In extreme cases I had the CPU at 1.6 volt with water cooling. 1.4 volt is still a "mild" voltage increase, and currently I have all my C2D running at this voltage. There must be something else that is preventing the board from starting, but not 1.4 volt vcore.

The MCH is the memory controller hub, aka the Northbridge. It is recommended to increase the voltage slightly when you approach or go beyond FSB 400 MHz. But it depends on the board, no general rule about the necessary increase. Many people use 0.2 volt additionally for MCH and FSB voltage. The Northbridge temperature can go up quite substantially. If you ask me, at FSB 335 you should not need additional voltage for MCH and FSB at all.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  8. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

I'm not against the entire idea that it is me that is doing something wrong, so I may give this a crack again sometime, although as it stands, it does not appear that I need it to be this high to be stable at 9 * 356 = 3.2GHz air only, it was more out of curiosity on what I could possibly do if I was thus inclined.

Thanks.

I've since found that I can drop the MCH Voltage back to normal, and still be stable, it seems for the moment at least, its all tied up with the CPU Voltage, which is still a mystery to me as to why what I set in BIOS is compltely different as to what is reported back to me. Most programs just tell me its at 1.3250V and the latest version of CPU-Z has me at 1.328 when Idle and 1.312 when Priming, while I have BIOS Voltage set to 1.3625V.

All very odd and confusing.

Thanks for your help again anyhow.

9. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Another question, which program is the best for Temperature?

RightMark CPU Clock Utility?
    Core Temp Beta?
    Speed Fan?

They all show different temperatures, which one is correct?

10. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Heh

Well just for shits and giggles, I tried for 3.6GHz on air.

Ended up with CPU Voltage @ 1.5V and MCH, FSB & Memory Voltages up an extra 0.2V

Well I got into Windows, but errors galour.

Ah well. I guess I'll have to wait till I have my water cooling back on line.

The main good news from this is, I can get the computer to boot properly with CPU Volts > 1.4 and that I'm pretty much currently stable at 3.2GHz on air with acceptable temperatures.

11. Audionut

Audionut Member

12. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member