Finding phone line number for Naked DSL

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MoNk{LAH}, Aug 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

Im looking to connect to Naked DSL in the near future. Now the property i'm going to be living in has an existing phone line (i assume as i can see phone jacks on the walls), but i'm not sure if it is a telstra owned line and/or the phone number. (which i need when signing up online)

How can i find out this infomation (whether its telstra owned and/or the number of the line)? Is there something i can do, like connect up a landline phone and dial a specific number?

i dont want line rental, as i wont be using landline :(

2. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Plug a phoner in and dial 12 722 123 or if that fails dial 1800801920

Cheers

Z

3. JugV2

JugV2 Member

You can plug in a phone and dial 12711 and it should tell you the carrier, as for the phone number, well it will have an inplace number but it won't be active. Ask the landlord/agent/whoever you are renting from what the number of the last tenant was.
    If it does have a dial tone when you plug in a phone, you could just ring Telstra on 132200 since chances are it will be Telstra's line anyway, and ask the consultant you speak to to let you know the number the CLI shows.

4. OP
    OP
    MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

ah ok i'll try that at my other property

though i tried both numbers on my parent's home phone and the first number i got the "this number is incomplete" message. whilst the the second number said "access denied to customer number" :confused:

edit: weird - the 1800 number works fine on my mobile lol

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  5. Gecko

Gecko Member

12722123 is the number... dialed it about 80 times last week trying to organise the MDF at work (yay for idiot techs who manage to lose the cabling records)

6. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

I have just hooked up to iinets naked ADSL2+ and didnt have an active phone line in the house for the 9yrs I have been here. I just checked the exchange closest to me ( 500m :thumbup: ) and called them up. Trouble free, they just sent a tech out about 6 days later, he okayed the line was still attached and could be used and then 2 days later got connection green light and another couple of days and it was active :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

isp should have that info on their website yeh?

8. caspian

caspian Member

they may have the physical location of the exchange, but many times that does not reliably equate to line length.

nor, for that matter, is line length the determining factor in xDSL performance, despite what people think.

9. OP
    OP
    MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

n00b question:

how do i check if my line is active - call the number i guess???

10. caspian

caspian Member

actually, making an outgoing call is a better test.

11. old_mate

old_mate Member

listen closely

did it say

optus wishes to advise that the number is incomplete blah blah

12. OP
    OP
    MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

i rang 12722123 and got the number.

12711 doesnt work for some reason - "number called is incomplete"

There is a dial tone, but i cant ring in or out.

still, i believe it is telstra :)

13. tin

tin Member

http://www.scanaustralia.bigpondhosting.com/phones.html

The 12711 number likely won't work if there's an outgoing call bar on the line (ie, no account, or a long distance bar). It only gives the long distance preselection carrier.

Edit:
    What about 12722199 then hang up? Does it ring then? Doesn't matter really, just interested :p

14. caspian

caspian Member

it won't work on a disconnected line (what's referred to as soft dial tone) as there is no long distance carrier preselected to report.

however, it will work where a call bar is in place - the bar simply limits the destinations you are allowed to dial to, there still has to be a carrier preselected so it reports it.

15. yosamitee

yosamitee New Member

Second phone line

Can someone please help me

I want to connect a second line on my property to have naked ADSL

As i am using a provider other than telstra they are being less than helpful about confirming whether the second line is connected (I know it's inactive but I don't know if the wires physically run from the telstra box to my house) :confused:

I have opened up the cement telstra box and there are 4 wires (red, black, blue, white) can anyone please tell me if this means there are two phone lines running onto the property and if there's a way I can find out how far the second one goes (i.e. if it's ready to hook up in my house) without digging up half of the front lawn ?!?!

thanks !!

16. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Phone lines are a pair only, so it's possible the existing four cables you have would suffice...

17. leighr

leighr Member

But the only way you're really going to find out is to either contact Telstra, or push your ISP to do the checks.

18. breno

breno Member

I did the 12722123 test and there was nothing on the other end. I can hear a slight buzzing sound. ISP reckons if I can't get previous number they have to charge $300 for a new line. What else can I do? This is a 30 year old house by the way, would have had many connections in the past.

19. caspian

caspian Member

dialback only works when there is a dial tone that indicates an active connection to an exchange that will respond to you dialling something. dead line = no go.

your ISP utterly has the capability to work from an address to identify an existing intact line to the premises, they just find it easier to charge you $300 than do some work to identify it themselves. find a better provider that isn't lazy and does not lie to you.

20. Pugs

Pugs Member

preach......:leet::thumbup:

don't think Node ever charged me to move/ relocate my naked services....