1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. i7r7

i7r7 Member

2. Statts

Statts RIP

62gr seems really low, I found results for Retumbo on a site that said 71-75gr and pretty certain AR2225 and Retumbo are the same powder.

This weekend's a shitfight unfortunately, but might be able to do it next weekend?

Thanks, couldn't find this old version online, I knew I had seen 170gr data somewhere! The latest ADI guide only has 165 and 172 as per above.

Thanks guys, it's a good starting point.

3. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Oh, i was looking at the wrong powder.. my bad. 2225 is really slow.

4. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

What about a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for $439, probably the best cheap glass out there bar none.*

http://www.cleaverfirearms.com/Scopes_zeiss.htm

*Disclaimer. I have a hard-on for German optics, yes i know the conquest are fat fingered American assembled.

5. Vassili

Vassili Member

Id prefer to overkill the rabbit rather than be undergunned against the boar.

Id grab a 308 if you mainly shoot pigs, or a .223 if you mainly shoot rabbits/foxes/feral cats etc.

This is why you dont take the wifey to the range. Plonked her behind the PWS .22, and she just busts this out on her second group.

[​IMG]

Outshot again ><

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I wouldn't worry about settling on a rifle until you get a license and safe.

If you have never shot or have little experience, I'd stick with the .223 for a first gun if you are set on center fire.

Most will argue that .223 is too small for pigs though, but they can be taken with well placed shots. I'd say .243 is the minimum for pigs, but the recoil is fairly substantial compared to .223.

You can't pick a rifle on paper. Go down to you LGS (Local Gun Shop) and shoulder some rifles, cycle the actions, etc. A rifle that is perfect for 1 person might not be perfect for another.

Although once you cycle a tikka's or sako's silky smooth action it is hard to justify anything else. :lol:

7. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

If you're looking at .22LR, here's what I what to start off with, reading from my receipt, which I'm pretty happy with. My scope was only $200 so it's probably fairly rubbish lol (I wouldn't know, haven't properly used anything better) but I haven't had any issues with it yet, that said unless something major was up with it I probably wouldn't notice :lol: Have used it heaps over the past few weeks and been fine, bought it in March.

1. CZ 452 satin nickel (synthetic stock) with cerakote $795

2. Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 scope $200

3. Sportsmatch Rings $45

4. Cabela's elite rifle case $59

5. CCI Mini Mag 22LR 36GR 500rnds $49.50

6. CCI Velocitor 22LR 40GR 100rnds $9

7. Harris Ultralight Bipod $135

8. Sale Discount $-145

So all that came to $1147.50, not including buying a safe or cleaning tools, and a few other things I bought later like rifle sling, 10rnd mag etc.

Add extra $300 to get a better scope as per recommendations in this thread and you're looking at $1500 not including safe+cleaning stuff for what I have found to be an awesome introduction to shooting :)

Keep in mind though I'm still a noob - though I have played with shotguns and .223's and think it was a good choice to start with the .22LR. Apart from anything the ammo is very cheap for practicing plinking etc :thumbup:

edit: sorry I got distracted mid way through post and only just noticed after you had already replied saying going centerfire. I'll leave this up though in case anyone else is curious about the total costs to get set up with a .22LR.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  8. apsilon

apsilon Member

This. A rabbit isn't going to charge and stick a tusk in you when you piss it off.

If you want to take the rabbits for meat then you're either going to need a different rifle than you use for pigs or going to have to become a good shot and only take headshots on the rabbits and settle for what meat you can salvage.

9. apsilon

apsilon Member

That.22LR will kill you dead no problem. May not be as immediate as a larger calibre but don't under estimate it. Respect it the same as anything else.

10. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Yep. No self respecting safe should be without at least one 22. Best thing about 22 is the dirt cheap ammo and the barrels are almost impossible to wear out. I've heard stories of 250,000 rounds being put though barrels with little sign of wear.

11. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

I'll 2nd that. My CZ452 is getting BETTER with age and a few thousand thru it. Not hit 10k yet, only about 3k thru it I expect, but its noticably getting marginally tighter groups.

It really prefers winchester powerpoints, and doesnt mind the 42MAX either. I mainly shoot subsonics, with the std's being marginally better than the 42MAX, but nothing worth writing home about.

12. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

What i meant it once you select the caliber you then select the rifle.

Rifles don't just come in 1 caliber per make. For example a remington 700 sps comes in about 20 different calibers and a few different action lengths. Any self respecting gun shop will have at least 20 - 30 different rifles chambered in .223 alone.

I took my gf out to choose her first rifle recently. Tried about 15 different 22s until we found one that was small and light enough for her to hold comfortably. She also had trouble cycling the bolts on most of them. Ended up rougly choosing a PWS T3 Summit straight pull, now we just need to narrow down exactly what stock she wants, as they come in several different stocks standard.

13. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

.223 might be slightly overkill for rabbits, .243 probably, .300wm for sure. :lol:

If you think you will be using it as a general vermin gun up to pigs then the .243 will be a lot more suitable than the .223.

I personally never take anything under a .223 into the field to shoot rabbits, as you always end up running across foxes, feral cats / dogs and the odd pig or two. A few older blokes I know spit at .223 as a vermin gun due to lacking power to take down pigs cleanly. My old man until recently had been using a .270 as a vermin gun. :o

14. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

I know a guy who shot a giraffe with a 22-250. Said it wobbled and feel in a most impressive manor.

Try buying a rifle to LEARN on. Dont think that a rifle will make you an awesome hunter. As for pigs,, 45-70 lever action. 325gr @ 1600 is plenty. Ive shot 400gr @ 2200 and its not plesant. Not got a pig yet, not in the right state for that.

22lr, go plink off a box of ammo in 10 shot groups.. So thats 5 groups. Then get some QUALITY practice in and shoot 1000 rounds (2 boxes). Compare your last 10 shot groups to the first. It should be 1" @ 50m if you are lucky. If you can do that, get a centre fire, if not, get another 1000 rounds.

You dont go out and get a race car and "learn to drive". My favorite gun i have is a 22lr. My 2nd favorite gun i have is a 22lr. A centre fire does not appear until 3rd.

15. apsilon

apsilon Member

My favourite rifle is my .22 as well, my CZ 452 Varmint, even over my ~$9500 APRS/S&B rig. I'm pretty happy that my club is finally doing some rimfire shoots once a month. Shooting a hunting grade rifle from hunting positions onto an Olympic smallbore target face is a bit of a fun challenge.

16. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Picking this up for 200 from a fellow at work. Its really nice. In great nick.

Keen to get it to the range.

[​IMG]

17. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I would have loved to see that giraffe shot. Hope to do a safari one day, just had a mate come back from a cape buffalo trip. :thumbup:

He needs to buy a 22 for sure. Walk before you can run.

A guy at my local range decided anything under .308 was for girls and it would be his starting gun. Developed one of the worst filches I've even seen, could barely put a round on paper. But of course it was the guns, rounds, bipods, winds, etc. fault. :rolleyes:

18. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Met a guy who's first rifle was a.... 30-06.
    I think he could compete with the best of em in the flinch / close eyes / every excuse department.

Oh, and he ran the thing HOT and didnt know. You couldnt physically touch it and was almost smoking.

shot 40 shots in like 5mins trying to get it to group.. Wasted time and money.

19. Cpt Watermelon

Cpt Watermelon Member

Hopefully i can get a little better accuracy with my .22lr now that I have removed that pesky chunk of lead from the bore. It was sad being able to aim off the target and still hit it.

Shoot on this weekend, so ill take out some papers and the Caldwell BR to redo the scope and see if i can get it down to 1" @ 50yrds.... hopefully.

20. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

its not that anyone here wants to scare you off shooting, or go "you aint man enough to handle recoil" or crap like that. Far from it.

Think of like playing footy. When you first start you THINK you are good, but dont really have a bench mark of how good you really are. You want to play A grade straight up. Coach wont let you.
    You start low, and if your ability is what you say or think it is, then you quickly progress thru the squads. If you are lacking, you get coaching in a certain area and build up some skill.

Same for shooting. Start small, learn the fundamentals, work your way up. Once you get to some sort of LR or BR work (long range / bench rest), you will have really solid skills and shoot well.

I have a full custom 308win package worth over $7k. It can seriously out shoot me. Owning it does not make me a better shooter, not at all.

I have a 22lr and i know that thing WELL, but it can still out shoot me. Most of the fliers and issues are me, not the rifle. Occasional batch of cheap ammo, but normally its quite good. I use it as a hunting rig and with better optics i think i could squeeze more accuracy out of it too. Fixed 4x scope is not really helpful, but for rabbit shooting and its complete light weight factor, its awesome.