1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

my first rifle was a .308
    it was on special.

(haven't shot it yet though),

will go through at least a thousand rounds of 22LR beforehand (y)

2. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Ill still let anyone come and shoot my gear if they want to see what real recoil is like. I got somethin which is just stupid.

Saying that i want a 585nyati.

3. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Lol dad says back in the day he was in cadets then reserves and when he started cadets, they would get them to lie down prone in a line, and an officer would walk along booting them in the shoulder saying 'if you can't handle that then you can't handle the .303'

4. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Its a fair call. Old 303's had brass butt plates, and they were indeed not nice.

Current powders certainly tame them tho, and they are possibly more accurate too.

5. Tinian

Tinian Member

A mate just got a Merkel 140AE running 500 Gr Hornady's atm, and it's reasonably mild.

6. heydonms

heydonms Member

Start by ignoring all the replies you are getting from people on the east coast, some of this stuff is completely wrong.

Anyone telling you to get a license before settling on a rifle, that guns aren't tested before being sold or that you should get A+B at the same time because it is no more expensive clearly has no idea how the WA system works.

No, you aren't licensed for a class in WA, you are licensed for a particular firearm (which will be of a particular class). A B class license is just a license which lists a B class firearm on it.

No such thing as subclasses. Again, you are licensed on a per firearm basis.

Just one fixed fee. $51.80

This one isn't WA specific and is well covered.

Ignore all the class stuff, find a rifle you like, get your letter and apply. I doubt you will have too much trouble.

You *need*:

A property letter from a land owner detailing how big and where the property is, what you intend to shoot and what calibers they will allow. You used to be able to write "whatever he/she wishes" but my last application got rejected and they made me go get a new letter with more detail.

Details of the rifle you want and a serviceability certificate to match. I believe most dealers will include the cert in the cost of the rifle or at least you should be able to talk them into it.

I believe you also need to pass some tests or do some training now, that was all brought in after I got mine so I don't know the details of that.

You will probably also want:

A safe. Technically you don't need this until after your initial application is approved but it is far less messing around to get it before hand and do the stat dec saying you have it when you first apply.

EDIT: Having just read some more of the replies in more detail.

Licenses in WA are renewed yearly, you also get a card called an extract of license which is renewed every 5 (or 10?) years. This may be about to change

Join the SSAA and/or a club if you want but DO NOT mention it on your license application and definitely do not use it as your "legitimate reason". WA has license conditions, if you apply for a firearm with club use as your reason you may be slightly more likely to get it but it will come with the condition that you may only use it at club approved events. If you want to be able to hunt then don't even mention club use.

Which range did you go to? Lonestar? Where abouts are you? I haven't been out in far too long but if I get my act together in the next month or so I would be happy to give you a go on a 22lr with normal ammo (from your description it sounds like you might have used subsonics or something), 223 and 270.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. Cpt Watermelon

Cpt Watermelon Member

Speaking of boomsticks, i had a chance to fire a 45-120 sharps. I was not expecting that kinda recoil from a blackpowder rifle.

8. Rass

Rass Member

120 grains of the holy black will give you something to think about. It think it'd be pushing about a 500 grain hunk of lead, so unless it's a stupidly heavy firearm, you'll notice the recoil :)

Great thing to experience!

9. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

black powder and heavy ?
    Thats the point of black powder rifles. Light (cheap construction) as possible.

Ive not fired a 45-120, but seen a guy fire a 59-90 sharps. It looked kinda fun, in a sadistic way.

@ heydonms
    Thanks for the specific WA reply. I didnt know that WA has "licence per firearm" things. Good to know. I could only speculate on whats going on, and i only really know people with SA, VIC and WA licences, so dont know how the rest work.

Is it true that WA users have trouble "moving down" calibers for hunting ? So if you buy a 308win, and then go to try and register a 270, its possible to get knocked back with "308win will cover that, you dont need it, application denied" ?
    I heard somewhere that you basically have to start low and work up as "its not sufficient for clean kill, need more energy" or something ?

Can you clear that up for me please.

10. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

In WA you buy a gun first, then apply for a license, then if you're approved you buy a safe. :sick:

Edit: whoops, beaten by heydonms who said it much better than I did.

11. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Wow, that is a really arse-backwards system.

How do you even buy a gun without a license? Over here in best Australia, they won't even let you look at a gun in a shop unless you show your license.

So i assume you buy a gun, but they hold onto it for you until you get approved for a license? What happens if you get knocked back for the license after buying the gun?

12. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Good info mate. I have always wondered about this also.

13. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

<WA-person> Hi, im here to buy a gun please.
    <WA-laws> Do you have a licence ?
    <WA-person> No.
    <WA-laws> Ah perfect, fill out these forms and your good to go.

-----------------
    Rest of country
    -----------------

<Aus-citizen> Hi, im here to buy a gun please.
    <Other-states> Do you have a licence ?
    <Aus-citizen> No.
    <Other-states> err.. OK, you need to go and get a licence before you can buy or own a gun.

14. Linkin

Linkin Member

Hi All,

Been wanting to do it for a while but my cousin signed up for the SSAA and encourged me to do so, which I have. Reading up on everything now. I am in NSW

What's the next step? Request a firearms application license form, join a club, or do the SSAA Safe Shooting course?

Thanks

15. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Safety course is a prerequisite for a licence. Do that first.

16. Linkin

Linkin Member

Cool, thanks.

EDIT: All sorted. Will be going to the hurstville range next week with my cousin hopefully :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  17. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Request your licence forms now and do the safe handling course while you wait for them to be posted.

18. heydonms

heydonms Member

True to an extent. My personal suspicion is that the big bosses have written a form letter and told the workers "send this out to anyone who applies for a rifle in the same class as an existing one".

When I applied for my 270 I got a sternly worded letter saying it was "similar to a 223" and if I went ahead with the application they would expect me to get rid of the 223. When I actually contacted the guy though he was extremely reasonable and quite happy to accept that they were completely different. I sent in a letter saying the 223 was for foxes and rabbits at medium range (and the 270 was unsuitable as it would leave nothing but a pink mist) and the 270 was for dogs, pigs, goats, etc. at longer range.

I was also applying for a second 22 at the time (I had just come back from NZ with all the guns I collected while over there) and they queried that as well, I told them one is going to be scoped and the other open sights and they were fine with it.

You might have a harder time getting a 270 if you have a 308 but I would think if you explain that the 270 is flatter shooting and will be used for longer range shots while the 308 will have less magnification and is for closer shots then you would probably be OK.

It certainly isn't the best system I have seen, but once you have some experience dealing with it it is tolerable. Personally I think NZ is as close to the perfect system as I have ever seen or heard of, but that is a whinge for another day.

That seems like it would have pros and cons, keep the tire kickers out of the shops but as I understand it some states won't allow you on a range without a license either which seems like it would make it harder to introduce someone to the sport.

Most stores offer a full refund, I have heard of private sellers refusing to deal with first time applicants though.

19. Rass

Rass Member

These days, yeah - BP firearms can be fairly lightly built due to our modern metal technologies. When the 45-120 was introduced, there wasn't half the tech we have today.. even down to looking at the ways they increase the energy transfer and the penetration was to go bigger both in bullet size and amount of powder. The sharp's rifle which was used for this was quite heavy and did soak up a fair bit of the recoil. Modern replicas are 6kg, and my understanding is that the originals were a little heavier.

20. Pierced69

Pierced69 Member

Wish, more like fill out these forms at your local POST OFFICE and wait mmmmmmmm forever. But at least in WA the gun is licensed as well as the person don't know how it works for rest of Australia at the moment.