1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. apsilon

apsilon Member

I used some .30cal 165gn ballistic tips recently as it was all I could get in quantity at short notice and was pretty happy with their accuracy (hitting clays at 800m) but haven't tried them hunting though they seem to review well.

2. Taverner

Taverner New Member

I'm hoping one of you has a magic answer for me - I'm looking to move up to something a bit nicer for my IPSC pistol from the current Bul M5. I'm looking pretty closely at the SVI Infinity series, and was wondering if anyone here has any insight/experience with them. Otherwise, is there anything similar that would suit my needs that I haven't seen yet? (I don't really like the STI Edge).

I might have to contact JPP and get a quote on something like this, minus the oversized magwell and wider safety:

[​IMG]

3. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

That looks very 'call of duty'. :)

4. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Wow.. love the style of that :thumbup:

5. Vassili

Vassili Member

Yeah.... I'm not a fan at all.

6. Timmy

Timmy Member

I like the look of those SVI's, though they are expensive. That grip alone costs $800

They are based on the 2011 design just like the STI Edge. I have shot a few Edges and they are quite nice, but not had the chance to shoot an SVI.
    What do you not like about the Edge?

7. apsilon

apsilon Member

I said I wanted deep front serations! Now take it back and do it properly :lol:

I don't mind it though I'd prefer a single stack frame (maybe, I'd have to try it but I find most double stacks too big for my little hands), curved short trigger and standard magwell

8. Taverner

Taverner New Member

The grip feels a bit narrow, and I'm pretty set on getting something with the front sight on the barrel, not the slide. They're great, but not what I want.

Single stack's no good for me in IPSC Standard, I want the big grip and large magazines for international stuff :)

The red is a bit much, yes. As a general rule SVI tends to be a bit over the top - It's hard to find one without half the parts coated in the gold look TiN plating.

9. Yaleman

Yaleman Member

Wait, what? I don't know of any semi-auto pistols that have a slide like a 1911 and have the sight on the barrel ... seems ... dangerous to do so?

10. Taverner

Taverner New Member

The one above is a good example.

[​IMG]

11. Yaleman

Yaleman Member

Well well, you learn a new thing every day. :) Looks like the barrel may also be fairly well locked up while in that position too...

12. Timmy

Timmy Member

That's fair enough, it's all up to personal preference. I usually have my right thumb ride the safety while shooting, that is not comfortable with a standard 1911 style safety.

I didn't realize the front sight was on the barrel too. neat feature.

13. apsilon

apsilon Member

What's the advatange to being on the barrel? Given the rear sight it still on the slide and moving?

14. Taverner

Taverner New Member

I shoot IPSC, so on a lot of ranges I don't really mind where the rear sight is - It's basically a matter of putting the green dot on the target and pulling the trigger. With that in mind, the idea is that you can constantly keep track of the front sight.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  15. Malarkey

Malarkey Member

All this reading about pistols has me wanting to finally get my cat H license. Does anyone know the best place to find a cheapish safe for handguns?

I'm guessing an old chubb safe would be best but I'm open to suggestions :thumbup:

16. Yaleman

Yaleman Member

Any safe bolted to a wall will do - there's no minimum requirement for thickness/construction in Queensland, other than it be metal and secure. It's up to you after that how well it's secured.

17. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Yeah too right. First time I have seen that.

18. Linkin

Linkin Member

Went to the range again tonight. Started off with a rifle that could barely group at all, then swapped with the one my cousin was using and grouped a lot tighter.

Can't wait to have my own gear and not having to stuff about with worn/misused stuff

19. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I wish my local ranges were open nights. Hell I wish my closest range was open on more than Saturdays.

20. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Ebay has (had) cheap rifle safes with ammo compartment. 3mm steel with a digital keypad, obviously they only work for Cat H in WA and QLD (maybe SA?)

I think I paid about $175 free shipping which was cheaper than all but the smallest of the small pistol safes. (ie. With no ammo compartment.)