Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Munkiboy

Munkiboy Member

yeah that was more of a dig at the aussie situation. semi autos are heaps of fun, used one on a rabbit shoot last year. five guys on a forest clearing with dogs herding rabbits - sounded like WW3

2. Vassili

Vassili Member

[​IMG]

Cool pic of a mates 686 Competitor on Friday night.

3. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Ok so the 375 is seriously good fun to shoot.

New Leupold 2.5x20 on it's way from Magnum Sports (heaps good shop btw) and then I'll be out shooting Stegasauruses in no time

4. Jazz

Jazz Member

Watch the bag limit, those things are endangered.

5. Scotty_DDR

Scotty_DDR Member

Been eyeing up a meopta scope from magnum sports for my 9.3x62 they have good sales across most the euro brands too.

6. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Seems to be hard to find good fixed power scopes these days. I really like them on my hunting rifles but seems people aren't too keen on them anymore.

Hopefully it turns up soon.

7. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Some euro scope makers still do them.

They are generally in their premium lines though and are priced accordingly.

8. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Yeah Leica and Swaro have stopped making them.

Schmidt and Bender still do a few and I've got one of those. Docter make a 6x and 8x.

I think Kahles do too but not sure of models etc.

Leupold does a few and not usually a Leupy fan but this 2.5 seems to be the one for this rifle. Keen for it to get here so I can get out chasing some critters.

9. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

I've got some super glue, i can make a fixed power scope for you if you want :)

10. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Drill press, Dremel and now Super Glue?! Shit man, I'm surprised you haven't given up your day job and become a smith yet.

11. Cephas

Cephas Member

Kahles still do some 8x i think

12. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

What loads are you using if drop at 400m is an issue? Someone replace your ar2208 with trail boss? If you said 800m+ and things were starting to get a bit iffy, sure. But 400m? Really?

13. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

Well, my aprs 308 is 10.75 moa at 500m with 155gr dyers hbc, and can shoot into the 0.1s. My old man's 22-250 is around the same drop at 500m. 9 moa at 400m, sounds like a rather light load. I haven't heard much about bm2 in a 308, i use 2208 for all my loads from 17" barrels to 24" from 130gr to 168s.

14. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

I haven't run factory loads in any of my centerfires since i started reloading for my first rifle with the exception of my 223, because osa factory ammo is so cheap and shoots so well that it's not worth my time to reload for it.

15. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

308 will have a decent amount of drop and there isn't a lot you can do about it besides moving to lighter projectiles and pushing velocity.

Re-barrel to a 260 and you'll be laughing.

16. Vassili

Vassili Member

Yep, no such thing as a free lunch with shooting. You pay for performance with either barrel life or recoil.

.308 has average performance, average recoil, good barrel life.
    .243 has "better" performance, less recoil, less barrel life.

[​IMG]

A good rough guide.

17. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

You shouldn't regret it, its still a great calibre. Cheap, long barrel life and available everywhere.

I own a decent amount of cals, at least 15 long arms, and am finally queuing up to buy my first 308. Should have done it sooner. A 22lr, 223, 308 and 12g should be in every safe. The answer is always, buy more firearms. :thumbup:

18. NuZo

NuZo Member

Yes they do go through barrels. But it's usually exaggerated. 308 is a great round. You may just need to work on your load to get something that works, or get a longer barrel to push more velocity.

I use an omark pushing 155gr NCC's at ~2890fps. This has been fine for me out to 500m target shooting. 26" barrel though.

Here's a comparison for you. A pro roo shooter mate of mine uses two guns, 22-250 and 223. He reckons he goes through around 4x 22-250 barrels for every 1x 223 barrel. But that's to his standards, for most people they could get by shooting the 22-250 barrel to 1moa and be happy.

Just my 2c.

Nuzo

19. NuZo

NuZo Member

Totally agree with this! Wildcats are awesome but it's hard to beat old faithful, especially when you're in the middle of St George looking for a box of ammo at the local post office cause you've run out hahaha.

Cheers,
    Nuzo

20. RandomWally

RandomWally Member

Yep, start with a .308, set it up right, and you will always have something that works, with ammo available no matter where you go. Works for 95% of anything you can hunt in Australia. I want all sorts of interesting chamberings in my safe, and will eventually be able to afford some of them, but I don't think I'll ever sell my .22s, .223 or .308. They're all just too practical and affordable to shoot.