Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

I have to say I would if I could although now that gell ball guns are somewhat becoming legit I might grab one or two of those for some casual fun.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'd just buy them to plink at bottles and cans in the backyard.

3. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

Well, it's been 12 weeks since I applied for my licence (08.03.2018) Called them today. Pretty much got a canned response of "oh I can tell by your application number that it will still be a while" When I asked for even a rough time frame they couldn't give me one. WTF do they do all day! All the info they need is given to them via the application process. A criminal history check doesn't take long, I did one not long ago for an Approved Examiner via TMR, took less than a week to be processed.
    I submitted a complaint via the QPS website, and will be ringing them every day until it's sorted. I don't care if it won't actually achieve anything, it will make me feel better. :p

4. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

If only we knew what they do all day... From what I have seen/ heard 3 months is about the minimum and that can easily blow out to 6 months for a license.

5. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Probably the same as all other government jobs, if you do it too fast you won't have enough work to do and you'll be out of a job.

6. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

7. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

Meth, not even once.

RandomWally likes this.
  8. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

Well I think my complaint worked. Got an email for ID check today, funny that. Went from "it will be a while and I can't tell you how long" to less than 2 business days. :lol:
    When and did the 100 points of ID this afternoon, shouldn't be long now.

dave_dave_dave likes this.
  9. dandexter

dandexter Member

Anyone know what the deal is/what makes them special with these Savage Lever Release rifles on Cleavers? Maybe i'm blind, but I cannot find any details online about them.

10. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

They look like a cool idea, a semi-semi auto?

My licence has been approved and both PTA's are at Cleavers, just waiting on the plastic in the mail. :D

11. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

I like the lever release concept. They have been around overseas for a long time but have only just started to make their way into australia. They are typically used in countries with high restrictions on semi-auto firearms.

Depending on the precise location of the release lever the efficiency of the firing action will be some where between pump action and semi auto.

12. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Quite a lot actually, they are very busy and under-resourced. People whinge a lot about public servants and how they are allegedly overpaid and there should be fewer of them. And then when it actually affects them, they whinge about that too ! (Not having a go at you mate, just a general observation).

The checks are done on a national basis, and while they can take a week, they quite frequently take up to a month. It depends on how quickly the various police services/agencies respond to the enquiry, and this is often affected by how many addresses the person has had recently, how common or otherwise their name is, and whether anyone with a similar name and dob has a history - they need to ensure there's no confusion and the information provided is accurate.

Glad to hear it's worked out for you in the end. Have fun!

13. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

I understand what you are saying, the time it takes is still frustrating.
    What I find strange is that as soon as I lodged a complaint, it was sorted. I never actually received a reply to the complaint itself, it was just fixed.
    IMO they should be a bit more transparent with processing times. Maybe a counter on the WLB site (eg, We are currently processing 099 099 1xx) so you can get a rough idea of where you are in their magical queue. :p
    That and if your application does exceed what they state (28 days or 12 weeks) they send an automated email saying that they are aware it's late but it's being processed with a rough estimate of when it will be finished.

14. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Not all things are processed in order though - there are a lot of variables. Don't forget as well as licence applications they also are processing a LOT of "Permit to Acquire" applications (don't start me on what a WOFTAM that is!), security licences, club returns etc

Plus there are the mandatory waiting periods for licences. I THINK those are 'served' before they actually start the processing so its not a "minimum" of that time, it is the waiting period PLUS the 'usual' processing time....

Is it frustrating? Absolutely!

Is a lot of it unnecessary bureaucracy? Yep. But you have to blame the politicians for that.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  15. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

anyone used an impala plus? they have only recently gone cat a in vic

i don't mind borrowing an adler when i need a repeating shotgun and liked the straight pull shs ergonomics wise but ehhh, wouldn't mind something a touch nicer out of the box.

also, the savage a22r looks interesting. lever release 10shot .22lr for a base price of $650? sure!

that said, i'd probaby spend a few extra and get the pro version, with a varmint profile barrel and a boyds synthetic target stock

https://www.beatonfirearms.com.au/shop/savage-a22r-22lr-pro-varmint-10-shot/

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 4:34 AM
  16. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Is that a straight pull?

Not a fan of straight pull shotguns due to the speed over a lever, but whatever floats your goat.

Turkish guns are always a gamble 75% chance they will be a pos in my experience.

17. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Depends entirely on the manufacturer. I have a Yildiz sxs and it is absolutely excellent. Can't fault it.

18. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

Licence arrived today! Fucking finally, only took 15 weeks.

Going to pickup all my gear Thursday. :D

dave_dave_dave likes this.