Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I just want to see if printed parts in resin would mechanically function out of the box. Even though I say it's for educational purposes I don't think that's a good excuse. I don't have intentions to be a gunsmith or make ghost guns, I just want to satisfy my curiosity.

At best it's a prop, at worst it's fully functional.

On a separate question, do you need a permit to buy parts like pins and springs?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Also addtional to Renegade40D's post.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/you-can-go-to-jail-for-having-the-file-for-a-3d-printed-gun/

Not sure about other states though, couldn't be arsed searching atm. :)

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

OK good to know.

dave_dave_dave likes this.
  4. Bourke

Bourke Member

In general all firearm parts, regardless of "I like the look of it so a guy sold it to me" you need to produce a license to acquire, and also to hold.
    You could be a woodworker and make wood stocks, you wouldn't need a license but in order to make proper fitting stocks, you would need to acquire the action to fit the stock.

You always hear the story of the dude getting charged for shotgun shells coz his mate said he could keep them after they went plinking on the farm.
    Even more, you can get into trouble if you are licensed for 9mm, and you have a 10mm round on you for some reason.

but if you a criminal, and caught with an unlicensed firearm, you get a $500 fine....good job society

5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

TBH the degree of penalty is way off for the instance and its potential. But then again I don't know anything abou this topic so i'll take you guys' word on it.

6. apsilon

apsilon Member

7. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I've had a brief read. Its definitely the usual ambiguity.

It basically says you cannot possess a digital or electronic reproduction of a technical drawing of the design of an firearm.

So if you get caught with anything resembling a design of a firearm on file its time to delete Facebook, hit the Gym, lawyer Up.

8. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Nobody can know for sure until it's tested in court.

9. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Well our approval letters to take to RMS turned up today, actually quite surprised considering they received the applications 31/07

10. Cpt Watermelon

Cpt Watermelon Member

Bought a little German Sport Guns .22LR 1911 Standard last week. A nice little low range plinker so i can participate and practise in my clubs 22 events.

11. dandexter

dandexter Member

Hey guys, urgent question.

Is being a member of SSAA sufficient enough for a A&B target shooting licence? Thanks.

12. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

No. You'll either need a club letter if you want it for club use, or a property letter if you want it for recreational/hunting use.

If being an SSAA member was all that's required, anyone could do it online for <$100. (That said, pretty easy to just buy a property letter - although the Police are trying to crack down on that, despite the fact that there's not actually a law against it.)

13. dandexter

dandexter Member

What if I'm a member of the Brisbane branch? I was told that being a SSAA member enough.

If not, I need to join a club right now.

14. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Maybe it's different in QLD, but I doubt simply being a member of the SSAA is sufficient.
    Joining a club might not be as quick as you think. Usually you'll have to go a few times before they'll let you join, and then most have a waiting period of months before they'll give you a letter of support.
    Why the hurry?

15. dandexter

dandexter Member

I'm renewing my licence and I just got a letter saying I have 1 week to show I have a sufficient reason. Since getting my licence I changed from a F-Class club to just shooting at SSAA Belmont because I was told it was sufficient.

16. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

If they have a range and you're a paid-up member, then I would think that being a member should be sufficient. Sounds like QLD is a little different to WA (no surprise there) - in WA I don't think being an SSAA member alone is enough to be part of a club and use their range, you need to actually join the club. Should probably ask someone on the committee there, or check their website, I'm sure they can answer it better than people in other states on the internet.

17. dandexter

dandexter Member

Yeah, just got the letter after W/L and SSAA had shut. Will be making some calls tomorrow. Worst comes to worst, looks like i'm going to have to panic sell my 2x rifles. Thanks for the info. Anyone in QLD able to weigh in?

18. dandexter

dandexter Member

Just found this on SSAA QLD's website...

"If you become a Member of S.S.A.A. you can then list your genuine reason as Sports & Target Shooting and Recreation & Hunting, as we are an approved body prescribed under the law."

https://ssaaqld.org.au/become-a-shooter/getting-a-license/

Looks like I might be alright after-all.

19. Dude From Oz

Dude From Oz Member

Yep, in Queensland being a financial member of a club like SSAA or shooters union is ok for your genuine reason. This permits you for both target and hunting on condition you stay as a paying member of a club.

vladtepes and dave_dave_dave like this.
  20. dandexter

dandexter Member

Thank you. In this case it must just be a simply administration error - I'll call them today. Was very worried last night.