Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Bourke

Bourke Member

Yeah, what DUDE says, it's a 30cal at end of day, which is never gonna be cheap....Target 308 is $1.20 each.

Why no reload...????
    Even buying new components, using cheap press it'll cost $1.50 for first 500-1000 rds then jus get cheaper, prob get to $0.70 per round.

2. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I assume the CENS will be alright given they are essentially hearing aids with a fancier filter. Fit will be great as they are moulded specifically to your ears but that also means you can't sell them or lend them. As they are designed to hold in place with moulding vs the pressure fit of ear plugs, they'll be more comfortable than plugs. I don't think the battery life will be that good on them though, you'll want to carry around spare batteries. Noise suppression looks to be exactly the same as my howard leight impacts at 25db. A big difference would be if you've knocked the earmuffs a bit askew, noise will get through but that will never happen with the CENS as it is moulded to most of your ear canal, which won't get anywhere near your stock

What would be nice is getting a doctor to write a recommendation for them and passing the bill to my health insurance company as a hearing aid, technically it does aid my hearing :D

Alternatively, absolutely appropriate PPE for work so it blocks out patients yelling and screaming at me but can hear them just fine normally, full tax deduction FTW :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. apsilon

apsilon Member

They claim something like 200 hours of use from the batteries but reviews say it's more like 100 hours. Batteries are cheap so that's not an issue. Yeah they're about on par with my MSAs as well but I can see several advantages over muffs so i think I'm going to try them, not in a hurry though. I need to speak to my accountant first and make sure there's no restrictions on how much can be claimed for PPE etc. I claimed the standard custom plugs I have no issue but they were only about $70

4. Bourke

Bourke Member

Tax wise, as long as you can provide proof of use, in your work, then you can legally claim on them.

That said, you either claim as a 1 year, one off deduction, maybe $20% if lucky, or you claim as a depreciation over say 5 years, like 5% per year as the total cost of said item depreciates..i.e 40% first year, 30% second year...to 80% of purchase price on 5th year.

At end of day, if it cost $1000, can claim and prob get back $80 as a kickback...next to nothing but something.

5. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

If they are anything like regular hearing aids, your biggest issue will be remembering to turn them off when you're done or switching them off for them to miraculously turn on again. Pro tip.. just take the batteries out when you chuck them in the case.

Personally, I'd love a set and will eventually happily throw my hard earned at a pair but the impacts are good enough right now and there is other shit on the "need" list that needs attending first

On a side note, I noticed Ian from forgotten weapons was wearing some inears during his recent vid. Also, enjoy the dual wield pistol full fun mode.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Whoreof Babylon likes this.
  6. Bourke

Bourke Member

dave_dave_dave likes this.
  7. xc351

xc351 Member

if you have the impacts get gel cups for them. I also run hard cases on them to keep them clean.
    Pelator (spelling) ones fit or you can get them now for the impact

8. xc351

xc351 Member

I know its old but be carefull and try to stick under 1000fps as ive used some of the newer ones that are 1600fps and got over cracking that by hand real quick.
    I have 3 x 1070 crossman semi autos there great, but any cheap unit will do for your needs

9. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

I don't have them myself, but these gel cups with cutouts for spec frames look good:
    https://noisefighters.com/products/sightlines1

10. xc351

xc351 Member

Nice find might order a set to go with the spare aka wifeys set she never uses set.

11. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

If you do, post here how you find them! I will pick up some too.

12. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

yeah the gel pad upgrade for my MSA Sordins was absolute magic. so comfortable.

13. Bourke

Bourke Member

Well, what's new with yo'all, still spawn's of satan......:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I got all sorts of interesting stuff.
    I'll kick it off with some reloading observations.

Click to view full size!

If it looks crap try to re-size coz it looks fine then, or complain and i'll see how to fix it.
    This is from my rifle club, we use electronic targets, great when they work, sucks and lose the day when they bug out, see the crazy 1500ms flight time, that's a bug out.
    I try to log/clip any of my shoots, for data collecting, flight time sort of correlates to muzzle FPS ( I have Magneto speed), but it has to plot on a Ballistics solver to be more accurate.

Now that data is for 90gr Berger Target -29.0gr - 2208- cci 400 -2360oal 6BR case, technically for fire-forming in a 6mm Dasher chamber, which is 6BR case shoulder blown forward 10thou(maybe..not sure)
    Shots 1 to 6 are with 90gr and as above, BUT 7-9 are same load using 87gr Hornady V-max, which is shorter melplat (pointy bit) and less boat tail...it's a short fat bullet compared to the Berger long and thin profile.
    Shot in a 8 twist barrel, the 90gr should work, but don't....Alot of ppl love Berger for better BC, but I do struggle with Berger's in many calibers and many rifles.
    Those 3 rds near over lap......at 700 yards...yes...3rds into 1in at 700ys...I shot it as a group and not on center target.

My point is, jus coz your mate is running blah blah load and a Ballistic Calculator says blah blah works, sometimes it doesn't, so try a different shaped bullet.

14. Bourke

Bourke Member

A rifle club member blew in, after not seeing him for past 2 months at least.
    "oh how's things, new year and all."
    "i've been away, I joined the Reserves for 3 months and only jus finished, and passed"
    DUH FARK
    He's like 48 or 52 year's old, no joke, tall "now skinny" white guy, aussie born and bred, self employed and all.
    He's now a Sapper in the Reserves, and he got paid $2600 a week for the privilege of being physically, mentally and verbally abused every single day of the course. Everyday he would wake and ask himself to quit or not...he's stubborn.

I did have a think about it, it's not the whole army thing, it's having to pass the course bit, I don't deal well with disrespect....and even the dude said "don't do it mate, it's not worth it".
    He had to watch war-time shot footage of injuries and aftermaths of things like small arms fire, landmine injuries, he mentioned a dude with missing lower jaw....yeah you get the picture.

My pistol club is underground, air'coned with remote targets and open like 320 days a year....yeah life is hard...anyways...:lol::lol::lol:
    They got in a new range officer in, he looked like a cop, square head and all, so I always jus say enough to do the transaction/shoot and have a nice day.
    One day he seemed relaxed and I felt like a chat, I said hey what guns you shoot.??
    Not alot, jus some pistol, i would like to build a LR rifle though.
    LR hey, I shoot out to 800y, most things can reach that.
    Nah, i'd build a 7-08 or 300 rem mag, for 1500m, and jus lob rds on steel.
    Huh, strange caliber choice but ok, I love my 300wsm, does any bullet weight, all recoil dependent ofcourse.
    In my previous life, it was always the 308 can do everything, but it can't, 600y and energy drops like a rock, only a 7mm or 30cal mag has the energy to keep going.
    What did you use to do..???
    Police TRG Sniper for 3 years.....I was trained for the Police, urban sniper roles, but the modules are interchangable with SAS combat support, so I could have joined army any time.
    :eek:..that's my face....huh..how very interesting.

So we talked some more, he mentioned his mates on tour, they run all sorts of rounds, 7-08, 300 rem mag, 338lap mag, any 7 or 30 that's one shot and long range.
    He pretty much said don't join any services, it's all crap...lol....well i'm a Private Contractor then.

15. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Yeah 7-08 for a 1500m gun is an odd choice. I wouldn't have thought it'd have the punch reaching out that sort of distance but yeah ok.

I'm thinking about building a longer range gun at the mo. Thinking 7mm Rem Mag or similar. Want something that'll reach out but hopefully not completely obliterate the goats up on the mountain so I have something for the freezer.

16. Bourke

Bourke Member

my thinking to 1000m, .284 vs .308 is same same, past that the .284 BC is unmatched, although joules into target may differ, speed kills in most cases.
    coz it's same case, 7mm stops at 180gr (yeah 192gr sierra), bc is 720 odd vs 620-ish for 30cal.
    would you rather shoot a 180gr or 220gr pill, says the guy with a brusied shoulder from a 6.5mm rifle...>_<

You did make me remember these guys, ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html
    should help you with choices.
    whether you need meat dmg or shock/knock-down power.
    My club mate built a 6.5x55 AI, the gunsmith talked him into it, he hates the prep, it isn't stellar, but shoots a 142gr @ 3050fps all day long, very nice to shoot recoil wise.

17. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

I'll happily shoot my 375 H&H all day so recoil isn't a huge deal for me, but I don't really shoot long range.

I think the farthest I've bagged animals is like 150m and most my rifles aren't even scoped anyway so

18. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

On the subject of scopes im looking to step things up on my Tika Tac A1 in 6.5 Creed with a high magnification scope e.g. 30x or higher with a budget of approx 3k. The gun will be 90% shot from a bench at paper.

Some options i have been looking at are:

- BUSHNELL ELITE TACTICAL XRS2 4.5-30x50
    - SCHMIDT BENDER 12-50X56 PMII FFP
    - NIGHTFORCE NXS 8-32x56

Any opinions on these brands/ models. Are there any other options that I have overlooked?

19. apsilon

apsilon Member

I've used the Nightforce and own the S&B. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. No experience with the Bushnell, TBH not a brand I'd consider so I've never even read reviews. I went with the S&B over NF due to the higher magnification, all my other scopes are NF. That rifle really only gets used for 800m+ and rarely at less than 50x

20. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

I have one S&B and it's an absolutely amazing scope. Not in the same class or price range as the PM2 but I can't fault it.

I wouldn't be considering a Bushnell in that price range. I'd be looking at any March, Schmidt & Bender, or Kahles at that price point for the desired magnification.