Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Bourke

Bourke Member

Click to view full size!

Leupold FXII -x25 target dot (200m) scope might be 30 years old now, I bought it 2nd hand for $250 coz of a bubble, I can see crisp 6mm holes at 200m

Click to view full size!

Zeiss HD5 5x25 with Magnum Z1000 reticle(maybe) Schott Glass in low light is awesome.

My short answer is buy a NF NXS or BR with whatever reticle suits you.

My long answer is long, too long.
    When mirage picks up, sight picture with anything over x30 mag gets destroyed, good glass can hold up better, my comp guns have Weaver x36, I would go to x40 only with a March or Leupold scope.
    X25 is fine out to 800y, a challenge but do-able.
    Alternatives,
    March, Sightron, Leupold, Kahles, Vortex Golden Eagle, Burris XTR II.
    Bushnell is good only if cheap, it's not a $2k worth scope.

2. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Good feedback thanks. I was leaning heavily to the SB but it has a very tight eye relief. A number of people with glasses had issues with it and given my ordinary sight i could too.
    NF was a late addition to my list. That particular model seems pretty good to me feature and price wise. Ill check out some of the other options listed :)

Ill be sure to post pics once im done. Currently im running a 24x Vortex HST which does a respectable job but i want something what will truly do the Tac A1 justice :D

3. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 Member

I have the SFP version of that S&B scope, it's amazing quality. While I don't own either of the others, I've used similar models over the years and the S&B is at least on pare if not better. That said, you'd probably be fine with any of them.

4. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

I didn't recommend a Weaver T36 because you've got a fair bit of a budget but if you're really keen and happy to hunt around for an older one you won't be disappointed with the clarity.

5. Bourke

Bourke Member

6. xc351

xc351 Member

Peoples or whatever you indentify as.

I have a desert eagle 44mag (just I admit its totally impractical ect ect and just for show) but can I get a cal conversion for this to turn it into 50ae
    Barell is non serialised.
    Yea 50ae is a no go in QLD but don’t think it’s illegal to have the barrel. So let’s just say I want the 50ae barrel for when I go on holidays to were it is legal.
    However there a similar loop hole were people were getting desert tech rifles and buying 50bmg cal conversions.

I’ve asked weapons licensing but they will take forever to reply as it’s a grey area.

But I’ll say this the dessert eagle is the easyier pistol to take apart ever. I have 1911, sp01, tanfoglio, model 41’s, ruger mk3 as well as a charger and numerous revolvers. For a big gun they made it dam simple.

7. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

As I understand it 50ae would only be possible on a collectors licence. I believe all critical gun components are classed as guns in their own right for law enforcement purposes e.g. to stop people from being in possession of disassembled but otherwise functional firearms. On that basis you could get in trouble
    Imho this is a very grey area that's probably not worth the potential trouble it could cause.

8. xc351

xc351 Member

I’ve already went through the issue of enquire if about a collectors license. Main issue is they will give me a a/b collectors tomorrow then I need to get reaccessed for a H at a later date. Plus also means beefing up the security ect ect.

Indeed it’s a very grey area.

But then I wonder how people sell 50bmg barrels/mags to convert the easily obtainable cheytec rifles into 50bmg.
    Under the same loophole.

By no means do I want to get reamed i just want to exploit anyloop hopes available to me.

Weapons licensing is stupid and they can’t seem to make there mind up for even more simple things. Eg i know someone that got a 22lr/22mag convertible revolver knocked back for his first handgun as its 2 guns.

But other person got a 9mm/22lr 1911 accepted.

Im pretty sure Thompson contenders (interchangeable barrels) single shots don’t require a PTA for every changebas one of the guys at the range has pretty every barrel known to man 22lr to 444 marlin and some weird 458 cartridge and some weird odd ball wild cats as well.

9. daveoverclock

daveoverclock Member

My understanding in QLD is that a caliber conversion unit requires a PTA. Regardless of whether they have a serial number or not. If they don't have a serial number then one gets added.
    The action of the firearm is the licensed component but there are other parts specifically spelled out in legislation as needing to be licensed as well to possess.
    Caliber conversion units are one, Cat R trigger components etc are another.
    This is not always enforced or known about by lots of sellers / gunshops / weapons licensing but it is in the legislation.
    An example is the drop in chambers for shotguns to take 9mm etc.
    They need to be stored as a firearm and licensed / PTA etc but they still appear on ebay / gunshows for sale without a license.
    So for your 50ae barrel I would say it needs PTA etc. and only legal on collectors.
    Normally when you apply for collectors you join a collector society and apply for all categories at once. A B E H R. This is doable with no other license.
    If you want to have temporarily inoperable C D H then you will need to a safety course for each of these cats.
    Process normally takes about a year to issue license.
    Always read and understand the legislation in regards to firearms not what anyone including me states or the police state. You may need legal help to understand it.

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

11. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

I mean it took 5 seconds to google...... but anyway.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms/permits/firearms_permits/imitation_firearm

From Section 4D that they reference in the above link.

(3) In this section, imitation firearm means an object that, regardless of its colour, weight or composition or the presence or absence of any moveable parts, substantially duplicates in appearance a firearm but that is not a firearm.
    (4) However, an imitation firearm does not include any such object that is produced and identified as a children’s toy.

The million dollar question is would the police deem it a childrens toy or an imitation firearm, and if you think well its clearly a toy then they will probably say imitation firearm. I am not an expert on licensing though so your first stop should be contacting the NSW firearms registry.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  12. franny

franny Member

13. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

How good are weapons licencing, they still have a pistol linked my licence, except I got rid of it 18 months ago (24/1/2018 looking at my history). What the fuck is the point of them? Last time they didn't have a record of a rifle I had been in possession of for around 8 months and I had to keep chasing them up to get it put on the books.

14. apsilon

apsilon Member

I think that's pretty typical. Last time I had a safe inspection the cop said I was the 18th check he'd done in this round and the first one where the records had been correct.

15. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

I've had one in 10 years and the cop didn't even look in the safe just asked if the paperwork was correct on his list.

16. Bourke

Bourke Member

Click to view full size!

Tikka T3 stainless-Bright Orange Eliso custom stock-Bartlein 30" palma-223rem
    80gr Amax-24.50gr- 06H- Fed gold match- ADI brass- to touch.
    30rds on the barrel, should go alright

17. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

You in QLD by any chance or perhaps as I suspect it's a nationwide issue.

Oh yeah. They impose this registry on us, charge us because it's a "user pays" system - despite the fact we didn't want to be users ... and rely on us to do their admin corrections for therm and even THEN they can't update their records. Happened to me heaps of times. So I gave up on it.

I just keep copies of PTAs / dockets etc handy so I can show & tell when they do an inspection.

18. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

Had my licence for over a year now. I have 8 firearms on my licence, still no safe inspection. :Paranoid:
    Oh and there's 2 firearms licence holders at this address with the same storage address, neither of us have been checked yet.

19. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

I bought a Savage A17R recently. Slicked up the trigger and lever release a little. Wasn't happy with the standard stock so swapped it out for an MDT stock, Magpul grip and collapsible butt-stock. Uses AR15 stuffs, so needed a buffer tube and a castle nut to go with the stock.
    Really happy with the quality of MDT stuff. Will most likely change out to an ORYX setup on my .223 down the track.
    Guess the bolts in the last three pics. :D

IMAG1935.jpg IMAG1936.jpg IMAG1929.jpg IMAG1939.jpg IMAG1938.jpg IMAG1937.jpg

20. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

At one time I got checked 5 times in 5 years. You know, at random.
    Meanwhile mates hadn't been checked in 10 years.... or n one case, ever.