1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

Bolt 1 is a Norinco JW15A, was my first firearm, cost $250 with a 6x scope. It's actually fairly accurate out to about 80m, more than good enough for plinking.
    Bolt 2 is a Howa 1500 Mini Action in .223
    Bolt 3 is a 1956 Spanish M43 Mauser, safety tab is usually a good giveaway. :D
    I was going to take the bolt out of the .17HMR, but need to take the action out of the stock to get it out. :(

Not sure on the Sako, I've only just recently started in the sport, still a lot to learn! Maybe someone else will have a better idea. :p

2. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 Member

Does anyone around Brisbane know if SSAA Belmont let's you bring 3 unlicensed shooters at the same time?

I tried calling them but no one answers the phone.

3. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

As i understand it you can BUT supervision must be 1:1 so only one could be behind a rifle at any time.

4. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 Member

Thanks, that suits me as I only have 1 rifle with a low enough cal. for their range.

5. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I presume you mean you have a cartridge on their restricted list like 338Lapua?
    Because there isn't actually any ban based on calibre. They have a big game rifle shoot there regularly and sometimes even fire small cannons (literally).
    The bans they have on certain firearms are due to the police 'range template' and we all know how ridiculous that is.

Anyway just remember: "No it's not a 338 Lapua its the new 338 'pussyfoot'. Trust me... " :)

6. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 Member

Yeah mate, aside from my .308 that I took I only have a .338lap and .375cheytac.

Surely that trick doesn't actually work?

7. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Yes. Surely not. Unfortunately

8. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Surely they use an overall energy (muzzle or downrange) calculation rather than a list of banned cartridges tho?

Because otherwise you could just rock up with any wildcat cartridge and shoot regardless of restrictions as not on the banned list.

9. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I'm sure you are overthinking it.
    It's political remember not sensible.

edit: Not sure what area you're in but I sent a question to SSAA Brisbane branch (Belmont) and will see what they come back with. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  10. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 Member

Once when I was there (years ago now) there was a guy shooting .338norma mag and they didn't care. I'd be quite interested to know this answer as well :thumbup:

vladtepes likes this.
  11. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Ok well here's the answer from SSAA range at Belmont.

12. Bourke

Bourke Member

https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_ballistics_table2.htm

The whole "cap thing" is either to protect a short range from excessive damage and possible ricochets, and on a full length range, to reduce damage to backstop and possible berm overshoots.
    I can shoot and license for a 338 and up to 12.7mm, but there's no point in shooting it for cost and recoil and even rifle comp weigh-in.
    ELR is fine on a ELR range, which either don't exist or there's one per state and 800km's past the black stump.
    Member berries they are shooting 6.5creedmore in PRS Ruger's to 1600y's.

Read a bit somewhere, dude had to reduce his comp load shooting a 308 in NZ for a competition due to Max Energy level exceed.
    And in UK they have strict noise level controls and are forced to use sound modulators, poor guys..:lol:

vladtepes likes this.
  13. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Yep figured that'd have to be the case.

14. RnR

RnR Member

15. xc351

xc351 Member

All ssaa ranges and presume others will have allowable limits.

Which is a bit of crud really as there are some fast smaller cals that could be effectively banned.

Plus if you are developing loads how do you know unless you try.

Eg 220 swift is 3500-4500fps depending on Alot of factors.
    204 ruger and 17 rem also must be close to this.

But a 338 rum or even 45/70 punches alot harder at lower fps

16. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

It's not about punch it's about range, combined with a fair dose of stupidity on the part of those making the rules in the first place.

17. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

They're often also applying the danger templates incorrectly. My range they tried to close off the .22 section saying that we didn't meet the requirements because they were using the ADF template for 5.56 centrefire ammo. They just decided that since a .22lr and .223 are both the same cal measurement that they should use the same template.

And there's no correcting NSW FAR because there's no oversight of their role from anyone who understands the issue.

18. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Indeed. And while they may be enforcing it incorrectly, I very much suspect they aren't doing so ACCIDENTALLY....

19. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Had great fun at the Shot show this weekend. First time to Melbourne too. The highlight for me was seeing the Wedgetail pump action in the flesh. I have to say the pictures of it do not do it the slightest justice it is amazing to look at and hold in person.

I thought the pump conversion for the warwick straight pull (light version) was a nice idea too. An interesting use of the key mod/ mlok interface.

Going home was a laugh. My dad brought one of the gun shaped vodka bottles that were being sold. The look on the faces of airport security were priceless when this nice gun silhouette showed up on the xray screening.

20. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Yeah I dumped a couple mags through a Savage A22R yesterday and am thinking that with some mods they'd make a ripper little rifle.

Main drama at the moment is that the lever bolt release is really heavy. Hopefully that's not too difficult a job to get inside there and swap the spring.