1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Builds By Baz

Builds By Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Thanks for that mate. Will do.

Cheers!

Baz.

2. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

My club (PVPC) is no visitors right now, so definitely get into contact first.

3. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

My Club has plenty of 22LR pistols in the armoury that you can hire for a mandar or field pistol match. But for practical you need to book ahead, as it's shot with 9mm and they don't really have spares.

It's probably best you go along and see what their process is, without a particular intention of shooting a particular type of match. At my club, you need to shoot air pistol for 4 shoots, then mandar/field with a club 22LR for 4 shoots, then safety course, tests etc... (unless you already have cat A/B, then you can skip straight to being a member after your final 22LR shoot).

Shooting a 9mm is fun, but if you want to focus on improving your skills it's a tough way to learn. It's easier with a match like Mandar/Field, with exactly the same setup every time so you can gauge what's working for you and what isn't.

4. Builds By Baz

Builds By Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Thank you gentlemen. I can only hope the people at the clubs are as helpful and forthcoming as you all are.

Baz.

5. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 Member

Does anyone know if the HK SP5K will be legal as a pistol in QLD?

6. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

It really depends on the club Baz. I have been to a club that will do all they can for an unannounced show up. My partner and I were in this category, they even let us shoot 1 session each, even though they only have 2 sessions and they have to do 1 on 1 (in NSW anyway) supervision for unlicensed shooters. This meant a member spent there day supervising us rather than shooting, but they were happy to help.

Other clubs have a no uninvited guests policy. Where they want you to call in advance, even if you aren't shooting and will turn away people who just rock up unannounced.

Check if the club has a website and if they have any info on guests turning up. Remember you might think you are just turning up for a chat but the range officer is responsible for your safety once you step foot onto club grounds as well as running the shoot.

7. Bourke

Bourke Member

If you can't licence for a CZ Scorpian, then i'd guess it's a no.
    If you can, then why bother when you could go AR pistol, like in CALI-STAN, AR with no butt-stock or 30 rd mag.
    What's wrong with Ruger Charger Nordic chassis and 16in carbon barrel, tri mag...so many nice things we can't have

8. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Mates have just bought themselves a 416 Rigby and 500 Jeffrey. Starting to feel like I need a big bore now as well.

9. apsilon

apsilon Member

Going bunyip hunting?

10. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Probably doing a buff trip soon. I'll take the 375 loaded with Hydros.

I'm keen to get my hands on a couple different thinks for the Big Game Rifle comps tho. They're fun shoots and something I do fairly well at.

In particular I like the charge and snap events. Polar opposite to what some blokes shoot at comps but basically you send 8 rounds down at a short range target within 16 seconds (iirc).

Only allowed 4 rounds in, so it's a speed reload event as well. Awesome fun.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  11. Bourke

Bourke Member

"BUNYIP IS COMING RIGHT FOR US", shoot it Ned, shoot it.

My teeth hurt even thinking about it.....My rifle club mate, "hey wanna try my 375H H.??"....me, "nope"
    My mobile artillery of choice is 300wsm with 210's, that's my max fun, do have some Berger 250's....$1.70 each...think I have a target of 3 rds at 800ys, big spread/not good.
    What's that called, Big Game Hunter Match or African Game Match, Big 5 Match, watched it once waiting for Mandar to start.

300gr rounds going into mulch backstop at 25yds.....scary stuff...I was standing/cowering behind a ute at the time 50yds back..LOL

12. apsilon

apsilon Member

Wish I had easy access to a range that allowed larger calibres. I rarely get to use my .45-70 let alone anything bigger.

13. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

I'm 6'7" and about 130kegs so I don't feel it as bad. I do have a bad right shoulder, but the damage is in the scap so not much impact on actual shooting. I've given it to many people to shoot, including 5'10" older brother with some 270gr very hot loads and everybody has managed it and enjoyed shooting it. I'd recommend giving it a crack offhand.

Big Game Rifle comp we were shooting 500 and 600 nitro, 458 Lott, 470 Nitro, 416 & 450 Rigby. It was my birthday so blokes were letting me shoot their 25k guns at $15 or so a round and I took full advantage of that.

None of these compare to the sharp recoil of some other stuff I've shot, like the 300WM Kimber Mountain Ascent, or this dirty little Baikal single shot with handloaded hot 12ga slugs.

14. apsilon

apsilon Member

Anyone know the details for selling a rifle in NSW? I've never done it but decided to sell one of my .308s, have put an ad up on used guns but what happens when someone contacts me? Do we agree to meet at a local dealer and do the transfer and take payment? Do I drop it at the dealer first, take payment then they pick it up later etc? If the buyer is interstate I assume I take it to a local dealer and have them ship and do the transfer and add the costs on to the buyer?

15. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Yeah you're pretty much on the money. If they can meet you there then you meet em at the dealer the dealer does the transfer. Otherwise they send you payment and then you take it to the dealer and when the buyer can they rock up with their P650.

Interstate is expensive so get a quote upfront and don't ship til the money hits your account.

16. apsilon

apsilon Member

Thanks, figured that was the case. I've actually taken a deposit on it from someone local so just waiting for them to get their PTA. Thinking I'll sell my rimfire pistol as well as it's more of a pain having to shoot extra matches for it.