1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms [Post State when asking questions] [NO GUN SALES]

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SgtCaboose, Jul 13, 2009.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

When I was shooting the Buckmark was a good one, the Ruger a great option - I'd go with a Ruger if accuracy is the main aim.
    I'd only consider a conversion kit if the main aim is simply pistol familiarity, rather than competition.

2. Cpt Watermelon

Cpt Watermelon Member

I did not know that the compensator came off, it always looked like a seamless transition and that the round thing was a weight of some kind.

Knowing that now, that put's it high on my list.

3. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

vladtepes likes this.
  4. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

All very interesting. I'm in the market for a cheapish .22lr in a standard pistol configuration.
    I was looking more at buckmarks but ill have a close look at the rugers.

vladtepes likes this.
  5. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

I see pics/ video of the Southern Cross Small Arms Taipan Light pump action rifle have been getting out. Looks like a decent option and if they get it out at their intended price of "well under 2k" they should get plenty of customers.

6. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I've been following their pump action on and off for a bit as well. Pretty keen on it, but I'd want to handle one first. Assuming some states just don't straight out ban it....

7. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

The usual suspects will likely ban it but they probably did the right thing making it distinctly different from an adapted AR design to maximise opportunity amongst states.

Ill certainly wait for more info but if it comes in closer to $1500 ill be happy to take a gamble on it.

8. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Still haven't picked up a handgun yet, but need to before sapol take my license away.

Is there a noticeable difference for a social shooter (not looking for comp or anything like that) between say a Glock 19/34, Beretta 92fs, S&W M&P besides personal preference and feel?

I wanna keep it under 2k and preferably closer to $1500.

Anything else stick out to anyone in this list?

https://adelaidegunshop.com.au/collections/centerfire-semi-auto

9. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Just that Glocks are trash? But if you get one, I have a Glock 17/22 holster that I won recently that I will happily throw away, since I'll never have one.

Personal preference would lean on the Beratta 92fs, if only due to it's Italian heritage. For that price point, I'd personally be looking for a basic 1911 clone.

NB, any of those guns, have you shot them at your club/other club members made recommendations for you?

hsvguy likes this.
  10. Yaleman

Yaleman Member

If you just want to shoot 9mm at random things, then it's largely down to personal preference. Everyone's got their likes and dislikes, the Glocks and S&W's are striker fire so have a very different trigger feel to something like the hammer-fired Beretta 92's or 1911's of the world. If you don't know the difference, this guy's video seems like a sensible, short explainer

For $1500 you can get anything on your list and they'll be reliable firearms even if you abuse them. I'd definitely pick them up and wiggle them around and get a feel for them, see if you can run them with snap caps in the store, or live rounds at a range to get a feel for the action and controls.

hsvguy likes this.
  11. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Unfortunately I haven't been active at the club, but my mate (and the club) recommended the CZ shadow. I personally didn't really like the feel of them, and the trainers glock felt much better in my hand, though I didn't get to shoot it.

Thanks, I'm going to head down to the gun shop tomorrow. Another one that seems to get good reviews and is around the same price is the Walther PDP, so i've added that to the list as well.

12. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

So to follow up on the above, called into a couple of gun shops today.

First one was useless, well at least the woman that served me was. She bought out a couple of random second hand pistols because they had nothing in stock new. They did have a Walther PPQ which is meant to be similar to the PDP, I liked the feel of that.

Second shop was much better.

Glock 34, it felt so cheap I hated it.

CZ shadow 2, out of my price range and they feel a bit heavy to me.

Canik of some variety, was better than the Glock but not much.

Then the guy bought a second hand Beretta fs2 brigadier in inox.

Holy shit, it felt amazing. The finger grips felt great, the weight perfect, and I love the inox finish and exposed barrel.

99% sure I'm going with a new one, though I'm tossing up just getting an inox 92fs as it's a few hundred cheaper and whacking the aftermarket finger grips on it ($30 u.s)

13. Yaleman

Yaleman Member

Unless they've changed it in the last few years, if the INOX is a matte grey colour it's a shitty painted coating and I'd totally go with the brigadier since IIRC it's actually stainless. The 92FS is a solid firearm <3

hsvguy likes this.
  14. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

Curious but how is your club supporting a pta if you haven't been active?
    There's a reason the Shadow 2 feels heavy ;) in fact it's most of the reason it's so popular!

15. Yaleman

Yaleman Member

That seems like a bit of a negative feedback-loop - can't be active without a gun, so they won't support a PTA? :D

16. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

You generally use a club gun... At least at my club you need to participate in matches etc before you can even be supported for a license, let alone a permit to acquire

17. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

My club is really just an indoor range and a gun shop. It doesn't have the community feel of other clubs.

The owner set it up that way on purpose as he was over the politics of clubs.

It's good in a way, but also means you don't get the interaction with other members

EDIT: Managed to find a 92fs Inox in NSW, going to arrange to have it shipped to a dealer in S.A!

With postage and dealer fees, will likely end up the same cost, but don't have to wait till October to get it.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  18. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Been such a hassle trying to get my PTA sorted.

I made the mistake of using a local dealer for the trade from NSW, instead of my gun club (also a dealer).

Guns been at the dealer for nearly 2 weeks, and I've filled out the PTA, but need the club chit.

Club: Ok we'll need the details of the gun, get the shop to send the PTA over and we'll give you the chit.
    Dealer: We can't give out the details due to security reasons.
    Club: We won't give the chit till we get the gun information
    Dealer: Can't give out the info.

FMD.

In the end I contacted them both and gave them each other's numbers and said sort it out. Took another 2 phone calls to each before one finally called the other yesterday. Apparently the dealer will send info via email to club. Then Club will send chit to me via email.

Still don't hold high hopes.

19. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

2 months :lol:.
    Got my PTA email yesterday. That's a good 8.5 months after I applied for my H licensed & PTA :tired:
    Going to pick up the CZ sometime next week!

hsvguy likes this.
  20. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Loving this in the inox finish.

IMG_20220608_194558.jpg