Firefox OCAU Menu Extension

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by 0x48656C6C5F466, Jan 15, 2006.

1. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Hey guys,

lol on auto-updater. Anyway, I've updated it to move the electronics section to the right place (it did have a link, but the forum got moved from "Other Topics" to "Specific Hardware Topics").

I've updated the rest of the stuff too hopefully. Version 0.1.0.4 is up.

http://servfire.net/ocau/ocaumenu-0.1.0.4.xpi

Should autoupdate if you're still using it.

2. derb

derb Member

so this works on 2.0 now?

3. aerospyke

aerospyke Member

I'm runnin it on 2.0.... haven't had issues yet (haven't used it yet either :p

4. res

res Member

Thanks for the update, this is a great feature that everyone should be using.

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Fantastic stuff! This is like, the best, most used gadget/addon/moddedthingy/kiddyscripthack that I've ever used! I can't tell you enough how awesome you are for making this.

<3​

6. afrikajeff

afrikajeff Member

Hi,

I kept it warm for you while you were away. See here. If you're going to keep this up to date then I'll pass the reins back to you :)

7. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Hey, thanks for updating it jeff.

For some reason I stopped getting updates from the thread by email. I'll see what I can do to fix this up, TPG is probably filtering it.

What I'll do is chuck it up on a googlecode SVN or something. That way it'll make it easier for me to track changes whenever I lose interest :p

Edit: Haha, just checked differences between my updated version and yours, apart from slight spelling differences (and use of '&' or 'and') they're exactly the same. So I won't push the version number up past 0.1.0.6 just yet so it doesn't auto-update out. Changed the updater over to my DH account rather then the server which is turned off :p

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  8. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

I've noticed it's stopped working with Firefox 3, despite me future versioning it. Turns out I now need to either host in on an SSL site (needs it's own IP because TLS is stupid) or sign it. So I'm setting up GPG again to get this thing signed, then I'll push out a new version.

9. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Well, finally got it signed. For those making fork projects for other forums, you'll need to update and sign your individual packages too. If the extension is hosted on an SSL site, you don't need to sign the extension. If not, you'll need to do this.

For signing, you use a tool called Mccoy:
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/McCoy

You'll also need a SHA1 hashing tool. HashTab is free and shows up as a tab in the File Properties (right click file -> properties -> File Hashes).
    http://beeblebrox.org/hashtab/

Here's basically how the process goes: (Updating a previously signed extension can go from step 5)
    1. Download Mccoy and run mccoy.exe
    2. Enter initial passphrase (remember this! you can change it later too)
    3. Create a new key for your extension.
    4. Select the key and click Install. Locate your install.rdf.
    NOTE: This will mess about with your install.rdf quite a bit. Back it up before "installing" the public key into it.
    5. Zip up your extension. Get the SHA1 hash of the XPI.
    6. Edit your update.rdf, update anything you need to. In the RDF:Description for the extension section (place you put your em:version, em:updateLink and whatnot) add another parameter the Description with em:updateHash="sha1:<HashFromXPIGoesHere>".
    7. Back in mccoy, click the Sign button and select your update.rdf.
    NOTE: Like with the install.rdf, it will mess up the update.rdf formatting too.
    8. Upload your extension and new update.rdf. If you need to update your update.rdf again, you'll need to sign it again. (That is, changing the updateLink, updateHash, etc).

Edit: Oh yeah, another thing, you might have to update manually if you're already using Firefox 3 Beta, since the old version doesn't have a public key in the install.rdf so it won't validate the addon AT ALL and completely ignores anything to do with it, so you'll have to click the link again. If you're using Firefox 2 it should update automatically like always.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  10. FireTech

FireTech Member

Thanks.:thumbup:
    Do you have a rough time frame so we'll know if the auto-update system hasn't worked for us?

11. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Do your Check for updates from the Addon menu now, should be updated. But if it was anything like me, you'll get it greyed out with a "Does not provide secure updates." error when selected. In which case you'll have to manually install again from the link.

http://servfire.net/ocau/ocaumenu-0.1.0.7.xpi

12. FireTech

FireTech Member

It came back with "No updates were found" but that was maybe because I was trying to update 0.1.0.4
    I manually installed 0.1.0.7 and it installed in addition to 0.1.0.4 so I just uninstalled the older version.
    Working fine now, thanks again.

13. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

When I open .xpi it has a fit, doesnt have file associations, jsut gonig to try and open with Fx now.

Edit: NVM, for some reason the assotiation was lost :p

14. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Very odd, don't think I've ever seen it do that since it's supposed to install using either a GUID or extension ID thing and I don't think I've changed it between versions.

Very odd.

Edit: Only thing I can think of is if it moves disabled extensions somewhere else so it leaves it when it installed the updated one. What version were you using, Firetech?

Double Edit: Yay, I'm getting email notifications on the thread again. Wacky subscription things.

Triple Edit: Ok, very weird, I just did an update on my old old OLD version of Adblock Plus, and had the exact same thing happen, ran the updated version, it installed but left the old version there disabled.

15. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

^^
    Thanks again - updated manually (seamlessly though) on Fiesty. :thumbup:

16. crix75

crix75 Member

Seems to be running fine under Firefox 3 as well..

17. security

security Member

Yip, Fine on 3 here too.

18. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Funny that, I was using v3 back in April ;)

Thanks for the replies though :)

19. alexc

alexc Member

Hey,

this looks cool.

Just installed 0.1.07 under FF3 final release and I get the menu, but nothing happens when I choose the menu options. :(

Any ideas?

Edit: I've also got AdBlock Plus, FireBug and Web Devtoolbar installed.

20. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Can't say I have, very odd.

I've got these addons (and more) on as well.

Does right/middle clicking do anything? Basically the code goes, if leftclick, open in current tab, any other mouse button and it opens in a new tab.