Firefox OCAU Menu Extension

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by 0x48656C6C5F466, Jan 15, 2006.

1. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Thanks very much Jeff, triffic.

Please do something about this "Real Life" thing, as it Sounds Bad.

2. afrikajeff

afrikajeff Member

I don't use Chrome so I have no idea how it handles extensions. I'll have a look this afternoon and see if I can work something out.

Yeah, it does tend to take time away from the important things, like updating Firefox add-ons :p

3. aerospyke

aerospyke Member

I just installed from this link and it isn't working. firefox is showing it as not compatible and disabled. do i nede to do anything different? Am using FF 4.0. Add-in manager is not giving me a version number sadly. Have removed, restarted, reinstalled, restarted and same :confused:

4. r8response

r8response Member

Works just fine here :confused:

5. afrikajeff

afrikajeff Member

Ditto, no idea sorry. You are installing it from my link and not the one in the first post, right?

edit: Just had a look at Chrome. While it looks like something that wouldn't be too difficult to figure out, I just have far too much of that 'real life' thing taking up my time. I'm sure there is someone else on here who is capable of porting it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Hmmm.. not working in my FF4 either.

edit: It is now, after about 3 restarts. Work that out.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  7. abs1nthe

abs1nthe Member

Any update for 5.0? It is the worst thing about updating firefox. I can live without almost all other extensions...except this.

8. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

I'm writing a bit of code to do the forum list dynamically, I set up a github account to so I might chuck it up on that since I'm watching that more than anything else.

Haven't updated to 5.x yet, maybe I should just set the max version to 10.x or something, seems like only last month was 4.x :p

9. abs1nthe

abs1nthe Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the effort. It's a great extension. I'm sure it was only a couple of weeks ago 4.0 came out. Such a pain in the ass, especially for developers.

10. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Got the parsing the forum into the menu fine now. Just need to add a cache mechanism (onLoad fires every time a new window is open, which is fine to generate the menu while it's a static list included in the file, but probably not such a good thing to hit forums.overclockers.com.au every new window :p)

11. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Just about done, sunk some hours into it... seems like even the most simple stuff is buried underneath so much abstraction in Gecko. Learned far too much about it all just making reading and writing code to a file! But.. should work on any platform just fine I hope :)

Now I need to find where I kept my signing key so I can pack it up in an XPI and release :) (Think the minimum version will need to be bumped too, I'm using NetUtils.readInputStreamToString which apparently was only added in Gecko 2 (so, Firefox 4) :rolleyes:)

As a bonus for the wait, it's now not just a menu up the top (for those who like the new "Firefox" button and toolbar button format), I also made a button you can add to the toolbar that does the same menu :) Borrowed the OCAU favicon.ico onto it as well >.> Don't hurt me Agg.

12. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Thx Hell_Fire - your hard work is why we can have nice things :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Okay... bad news... I've lost the signing key... so I can't just make it auto update >.< Good news, is that it's now available! http://servfire.net/ocaumenu/ocaumenu-1.0.1.xpi

It should overwrite your old one on install... buuuttt.. I actually have no idea what kinds of problems not having the correct signature on it is going to cause... Heads up for fun :p

All else fails, remove the old one, then download the new one, either it'll ask to install when you clicky, or save it to your desktop and drag it into the Firefox window if it doesn't.

14. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

And first post updated, it's finally done, yay :)

Now to work out what the heck broke in my git client so I can push it up to GitHub

15. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Working a treat here. Thanks again for doing it :D :thumbup:

Maybe a coincidence, but I lost Sabretooth theme immediately after install. This has not happened before.

I cleared cache, changed theme to default and restarted. Then changed the theme option back to Sabretooth and this time it seems to have stuck.

That's on Maverick and FF5 (obviously!).
    I blame society.

16. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Welcome back OCAU menu applet thing, I missed you.

17. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

Ahh crap... it may be a problem, >.< I deliberately request the main forum page with the default VB3 theme, to make sure things are consistent with the parser. My guess is that Firefox or VB3 is saving that as a "Oh! You want this theme from now on! Here you go!"...

It'll probably change it every week when the cache expires... I'll have a look and see if I can work around it, maybe find something else to parse off of, or see if the sabertooth theme parses correctly with my current code (which would be a bonus).

Edit: Quick glance at the other theme makes me think it's probably fine, I'll make the change in the code and release the update after I get my git working again >.<

Double Edit: I've pushed the change up into git, think I'm gonna get some sleep now though, think it was 6-7AM before I went to sleep working on this last night, hehe

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  18. abs1nthe

abs1nthe Member

YAY! Thanks so much. Working OK on 5.0 so far.

One thing I did notice Retro & Arcade is missing, and Sport Fitness and Health is under Shop and Swap.

19. OP
    OP
    0x48656C6C5F466

0x48656C6C5F466 Member

For me... Retro and Arcade is showing up in Manufacturer Specific... wtf XD

Edit: Ahh... All of the forums on the end of a category are going into the next category >.< I'll fix this up in the next release :)

Double Edit: Squashed, packed, uploaded and bumped, it shouldn't change the style anymore, last forums should appear in the right categories, woo :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  20. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

No, it doesn't and yes, they do :thumbup::thumbup:

Does the beautifulness of your coding know no bounds???